Pain and tears

Move On

When the clock seven in the evening, Nam-joon dropped everything in his hands and headed straight to his car. His secretary, Ha Eun, who was about to give him his last cup of coffee was shocked to find him forgoing his favorite ‘energizer’ before heading home.

 

“Mr. Kim, your coffee!” Ha Eunice called out to him. But, Nam-joon didn’t turn around.

 

Ha Eun had been his secretary for three years and she had mastered all his likes and dislikes as well as all his daily habits. Seeing him acting so strange today made her wonder what was in his mind that made him act this way.

 

“He’s going to meet his childhood sweetheart.”

 

“Kim Taehyung! How many times do I have to tell you to stop scaring the out of me?” Ha Eun shouted at Taehyung. Seriously, she was mad at him for startling her whenever she was deep in thoughts.

 

“I’m sorry, my dear. Please don’t get mad at me, Ha Eun. Let’s go and eat something nice since your boss has already left.” suggested Taehyung cheekily. He knew Ha Eun would never reject his offer of treating her in one of those posh restaurants.

 

Pouting her lips, Ha Eun gave him a death glare. “Stop luring me with food when you know I won’t say no.”

 

“Oh, come on, stop talking and start packing your things.” Gently he pulled her back to her workstation and waited patiently for her to get ready.

 

They were walking hand-in-hand to Taehyung’s car when Ha Eun popped out the question in her mind. “How do you know that Mr. Kim is seeing his childhood sweetheart?”

 

Opening the door as any other gentleman would do, Taehyung ushered her into the car before he headed to the driver’s seat.

 

“Kim Taehyung! Can’t you answer me when I ask you a question?” Once again, Taehyung got to her nerves and made her mad at him.

 

Instantly, Taehyung pulled the car over to the side and turned his full attention to her.

 

“Park Ha Eun, would you mind to spare me your time and get to know more about me instead of your boss, Mr. Kim Nam-joon?”

 

Ha Eun looked at him like a tiny scared kitten. She blinked her eyes a few times and gulped hard. In his eyes, she saw the green monster that she hated the most. She knew that it would be hard to handle things when the jealous Taehyung appeared. Well, being his girlfriend for three years, and luckily for her, she had the solution to his problem. 

 

Caressing his hands, she put up her cutest face and gave him a naughty smile. “What do you want me to know about you when you’ve already occupied my mind and my heart?” Slowly she moved closer and closer to him and that surprised him.

 

For a moment, Taehyung felt as if his heart was about to burst. His heart was beating so fast that he found it hard to breathe normally. Quickly he shifted his gaze from her in order to calm his mind. Having her being so close to him and what more with her puppy eyes really made his mind go crazy.

 

After a few minutes of clearing those dirty thoughts from his mind, he cleared his throat and asked, “What do you want to eat tonight?”

 

“Anything Japanese will do.”

 

“Alright then, we’re all set to enjoy our date.

 

 


 

“Seo-rin, smile!” said Nam-joon with a camera in his hand when Seo-rin was busy studying for their upcoming midterm exam.

 

“Nam-joon, stop fooling around and start getting serious about your studies. Next week we’ll be sitting for our midterm. Shouldn't you revise and prepare yourself for the test?” Seo-rin nudged him when he placed his head on her laps.

 

Looking up straight into her eyes, he smiled. “Don’t worry about me, Seo-rin. I’ll always do my best and secure my first spot like always.”

 

Seo-rin crossed her arms in front of her chest and said half-heartedly, “Yes, Mr. Number One. I’ll only need to worry about myself whether I can still make it into top ten.”

 

Sensing that his statement was a little too harsh for Seo-rin, he apologized. “I’m sorry. I know you work as hard as me to secure your spot. Just remember, I’ll always be there if you need me to enlighten you okay?”

 

A smile then appeared by the corner of her lip. Seeing that smile, Nam-joon’s hand unconsciously went up and pinched her nose lightly. “You’re cute when you’re angry. Too cute for me to handle, you know?”

 

Seo-rin could only feel both her cheeks turn hot and red. And like a knee-jerk reaction, she fanned her face with her hands. “Not funny at all.”

 

Nam-joon burst into laughter after observing her expression. When both of them had had their emotion under control, Nam-joon brought out the subject he wanted to tell her about.

 

“I’m leaving for US after our midterm.”

 

Seo-rin stared at him, dumbfounded. “What are you saying? You’re not serious right?”

 

Nam-joon sat up and came face to face with her saying, “I’m serious, Seo-rin. Dad just received his offer letter to further his PhD in Biotechnology Engineering and he plans to bring all of us along with him to California.”

 

No one spoke for the next one minute. Clearing , Seo-rin broke the silent and asked to be excused. “I need to go now as I’ve promised to have group discussion with Tzuyu and her friends.” With that, she left without turning back.

 

She didn’t know why she acted that way. She just felt a sense of tingling feeling in her heart. She didn’t like the idea of Nam-joon leaving her behind. After all, they had been inseparable since they were seven. The truth was it was hard to let go of your best buddy with such a short notice.

 

“Sir, may I take your order please?”

 

Nam-joon snapped back to reality when he heard the waiter’s question. He looked at his watched, checking the time again and sighed.

 

“I’ll place my order when my friend arrives here, thank you.” he said. 

 

“Alright, sir.” The waiter nodded and left afterwards .

 

Having another look at the old photo with their promise written at the back, Nam-joon wondered whether she could still remember their reunion after seven years. The feeling of waiting for one more minute for someone was equivalent to ten minutes. And that feeling was killing him a little at a time. Still, he didn’t stop himself from fixing his eyes at the door, waiting for the person to appear as he had dreamt of.

 

 


Putting down the comb, Seo-rin checked out her appearance in the mirror. She looked fine with just a light dab of foundation and lipstick. She then took out her favorite Calvin Klein’s perfume and sprayed. She was about to get up when a pair of hands wrapped her from behind.

 

“Stop dressing up for another man other than me, Seo-rin. You’re damn hot and y. Promise me this will be your last time doing this for another man?” Chang Wook whispered into her ear before placing a soft kiss on her neck.

 

Seo-rin laughed a little and turned around to face her husband. “Am I that hot to handle, huh?” she asked flashing her right hand in front of him.

 

“I’m a married woman with a child. I know my boundaries and I won’t let them take advantage of me that easy.” She tried to reassure him with a wink.

 

Pulling her closer into his embrace, Chang Wook mumbled, “But, you’re too precious to me, don’t you know?” How could he not get worried when his pretty wife is about to meet up with her first love? How he wished he could go along with her, but he had to stay back and look after their first baby girl.

 

“Of course I know.” Proudly Seo-rin answered. “And you hold the most important place in my heart too.”

 

Chang Wook looked down at her with a wide grin. Slowly he lowered his head to the same level as her and kissed her. Seo-rin giggled at first at his reaction but she didn’t push him away and returned his kiss with passion.

 

It was when she felt dizzy that she pulled away from him to get some fresh air. Looking earnestly into his eyes, she asked him to go. “It’s about time, I have to go or I’ll be late.”

 

Chang Wook nodded his head and led her to the door. “Come home fast or I’ll be in trouble when baby Mya ask for her milk.”

 

“I’ll try. But no worries though as I’ve fed her just now. I guess she will only wake up later in the night. So I should be home to feed her then.” Seo-rin leaned forward and gave a goodbye kiss on his cheek before she headed to the car and left to where Nam-joon was waiting.

 

 

 


 

“Miss, this way please.” one of the waiters said to her on her arrival. 

 

Seo-rin followed from behind as the waiter led the way to the reserved room that Nam-joon booked for their reunion.

 

When the door opened, Nam-joon raised his head and locked eyes with her. At last, a smile could be seen on his face after getting disappointments when he got excited whenever someone walked through the door.

 

“Seo-rin.”

 

“Nam-joon.”

 

Both of them called out to each other simultaneously.

 

Nam-joon being a gentleman as he always is, stood up and helped Seo-rin in getting her seat in front of him. “What do you want to have for dinner?” he asked her while raising his hand for the waiters attention. 

 

“Anything Western would do.” Replied Seo-rin honestly as she was not choosy when food matters.

 

“Two sets of Alpha set then, thank you.”

 

“What about drinks then?” Nam-joon asked while his eyes scanned through the drinks available on the menu.

 

“I would prefer a glass of plain water.” Seo-rin told the waiter who stood patiently by the side. After giving birth to baby Mya, she had always choose water over carbonated or alcoholic drinks as she knew she needed enough water to produce enough nutritious milk for her baby.

 

Nam-joon decided to have a cup of Cappuccino without a second thought since he left without his last cup of coffee in the office. He had his attention back to Seo-rin after the waiter left them alone to prepare their meals.

 

Though she was just wearing a white long sleeve collared T-shirt with a pair of jeans, she still looked beautiful and sweet like the girl he last seen when they were both nineteen years old. For a moment, he realized that she had transformed into a much elegant and pretty lady.

 

“Is there something on my face?” Seo-rin asked as she noticed that Nam-joon had been staring at her ever since the waiter left after giving out their orders. It made her feel  uncomfortable.

 

Shaking his head in embarrassment, Nam-joon apologized. “I’m sorry. It’s just that I want to have a clearer look at you since we had not met for the past seven years.”

 

Both of them stopped talking when the foods were served. Once in a while, Nam-joon would steal a peek at her but quickly lowered his head when she looked up.

 

“Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to Ms. Jung Seo-rin, happy birthday to you!”

 

A group of waiters came out all of a sudden, singing birthday song with one of them pushing a cart with a birthday cake on top, Seo-rin was surprised.

 

“An early birthday present to you, Seo-rin since tomorrow is your birthday. I thought it would be better to celebrate it today when we are having our reunion.” Nam-joon explained without being questioned.

 

Seo-rin giggled like a kid. “Thank you. Thank you for preparing this for me. You are still the same old Nam-joon back then who loves to give me early birthday present.” While she was thanking him, memories of him giving her such surprise back then came flooding her mind.

 

That was when she was just around thirteen to fourteen when he asked her out. They just finished their lunch and were on their way to have window shopping treat when a man approach her and asked, “Are you Ms. Jung Seo-rin?”

 

“Yes, I am. Is there anything I can help you with?” she looked at the man puzzled on how he would knew her full name and called her out from the crowd.

 

Holding out a receipt, he said, “Your handphone had been fixed and I’ve brought it along with me now. All you have to do is to pay and you can have your phone back.”

 

Seo-rin stared at the man, blank faced. Honestly, she had no idea of having her phone repaired. Because hers was still in the bag she was carrying.

 

“Sir, I guess you must have found the wrong person. I don’t think I’ve ever asked your center to repair my phone when it’s still functioning well.” She tried to walk away from him but he was a step faster than her, blocking her way before she could escape.

 

“Ms. Jung, could you please co-operate with me? I’m just doing my job by delivering the phone and collecting the money for my company.” The man begged and that made Seo-rin clueless of what she needs to do next.

 

Turning back to Nam-joon, she found him surprisingly quiet compared to the other days when they were having their outing. “What should I do, Nam-joon? I’ve never asked him or his company to repair my phone.” It was only him that she wished to help her get a way out of this hot situation.

 

“I don’t know, Seo-rin. Are you sure you didn’t do so? Or did you send it and forgot since you’re such a forgetful person?” Nam-joon asked expressionlessly as if he didn’t care at all.

 

“Nam-joon, how could I forget when my phone is with me!” she cried out while her hand grabbed her phone in her bag and raised it to show it to him and the man as a proof that she was not lying.

 

“Ms. Jung, come on, let’s not drag it any longer and pay me the money for your phone. There are still many bills I need to collect today.” The man pestered her and that made Seo-rin nervous.

 

Looking back and forth at Nam-joon and the man, Seo-rin was at the brink of crying. It was then that the same birthday song was sung and her friends who were watching the fun by the side came out and joined them.

 

“It’s a birthday surprise Nam-joon prepared for you.” Her friend Min-ah told her while wiping off the tears that covered her face.

 

“He bought the phone and asked me to play a prank at you.” In the end, the man revealed the truth to prevent any further misunderstanding.

 

Seo-rin could only cry when the feeling of shock and relieve was overwhelming.

 

“If I could bring the smile out on your face, I’ll always do the same.” Nam-joon said while bringing the cake up to her. But, Seo-rin was still in shock that she didn’t know how to respond to his surprise.

 

“Let’s make a wish.”

 

Like an obedient child, Seo-rin did as told. She closed her eyes and made her wish before blowing out the candles. Everyone cheered when the candle lights were out.

 

Though the scene was different now, but Seo-rin had the same feeling as she was in her teens. She felt touched by his action. Seeing how innocent he was standing in front of her made her feel bad. Wiping the tears that fell from her eyes, she cleared and shook her head.

 

“Let’s stop this, Nam-joon.”

 

The cheers around went dead and the atmosphere turned sour. Nam-joon gave her a confused look and asked, “Why?”

 

Taking over the cake before placing them on the table, Seo-rin sighed heavily. She gave out a signal to those in the room to leave them alone. When they were left all by themselves, she opened up to him.

 

“Nam-joon, I’m grateful and touched to have such a party on our reunion day. But there is something I want to tell you.”

 

“What’s it?” he acted cool though his heart was racing.

 

“Nam-joon, I’m married and have a five months old baby girl.” She paused to check on his reaction but he didn’t even blink his eye lids hearing what she had said. She knew he must have found it hard to digest her words.

 

When she received his message yesterday reminding her about their reunion today with a picture of their exchanged childhood ring, she guessed that he might still place her in the first spot in his heart. And seeing his actions today proved to her that she was right and she wanted to make it clear to him that she was no longer available for him.

 

“When did it happen?” at last, he had enough strength to say something.

 

“It was four years ago after I met an accident which caused me to have my left leg amputated below the knee.” She answered honestly.

 

“Who is the guy?” he inquired.

 

“He is Ji Chang Wook, the son of Director Ji from S&C Hospital.”

 

When his ears detected the name Ji Chang Wook, his blood boiled. He almost had a slip of tongue saying those mean words in his mind. Nam-joon had never imagined that Seo-rin would choose someone that rascal over him.

 

Back in their school days, Ji Chang Wook was famous with flirting around with girls. And that act, landed him the nickname of "Playboy Ji". And worst he was a bully too. It was very much due to the fact that Director Ji always played a part in sponsoring their school activities which made him indirectly the apple in every teacher’s eyes. And that led him to fool around without getting punished. Last but not the least, his grades were too good to get reprimanded for his mischievous attitude.

 

“Chang Wook has changed and is no longer the bad guy we used to know. He cares for me and our baby. I see loyalty in his eyes.” Seo-rin said as she knew Nam-joon’s mind was struggling hard to figure out the reason she chosed Chang Wook.

 

To be honest, she had never thought of marrying at a young age. At twenty four, what more choosing Chang Wook as her husband. At the time she was knocked down by someone who was DUI while on her way home, she had never imagine that Chang Wook would come to her and offer her help. He transferred her to his father’s hospital and took care of her bills. He even went to the length of preparing an artificial leg for her.

 

During her stay in the hospital, he would come over and visit her every day without failing. He would tell her jokes and cheer up her day. Not a day passed without laughter. Cut a long story short, he had brought happiness to her life when she was in her darkest part of life.

 

When he popped out the question of marrying her once she was discharged from the hospital, shock was displayed on not only her but everyone. She didn’t reply and kept mummed until a visit to her grandmother in Busan.

 

“Seo-rin, if you notice a man loves to flirt around, that means he hasn’t found the one he wants. But, once he has found her, he would stop his habit and stay true to her because she means everything to him. In your case, don’t you notice that Chang Wook has put all his focus only on you and spend all his time with you? That’s a sign that you’re the one for him and he would never want to let you go. And now it’s your time to decide whether to agree or reject his proposal.”

 

Looking back at how tentative he cared for her, Seo-rin decided to say yes to him. She might not love him that much compared to the love he gave her, but she felt safe and comfortable with him. And now, she would say she made the right choice and didn’t regret her decision.

 

“Should I say congratulation for being Mrs. Ji? Or should I apologize for not attending your wedding?” Nam-joon said to her. 

 

“Nam-joon, you know that’s not what I want from you, right?” seeing him in such a state, Seo-rin felt sorry and bad.

 

“I know. Seriously, I wish to say congratulation for getting married and having a baby girl. That’s a good news for me.”Nam-joon said while he shoved his hands into his pocket. He tried to keep his poker face intact.  “Come on, let’s finish our dinner.”

 

“I’m sorry Nam-joon. It’s time for me to leave. My girl will be waiting for me back home. I’m seriously sorry, but I really have to go.” Seo-rin hardened her heart and rejected his offer. It was about ten and she must get home fast or her baby will turn the sky upside down asking for milk.

 

Nodding his head as if he understood her situation, he let her go. “Sure. It’s okay. We’ll always have another time to catch up with each other.”

 

Seo-rin then walked towards him and hugged him. “Thank you, Nam-joon for everything. You’ll always have your number one spot in my heart as my best friend.” She gave him a smile when she pulled herself away from him. “Go and find someone for yourself. I’m sure there is someone waiting for you to notice her in the crowd.”

 

“I will.” he said in affirmative. 

 

“Feel free to drop by and say hello to Mya. I’m sure you’ll fall in love with her after seeing her charms.”

 

“I will.” Waving his hands, he sent her off with a smile he forcefully put up on his face.

 

With no one left in the room but only himself, Nam-joon broke down. The cake was still in its perfect shape. Seo-rin didn’t even cut it after making her wish. If she ever did it, she would have notice the box placed covered underneath those decorations and cream. Inside the box was the key to the house he built for her. Or should he say the house he planned to share with her if she said yes to him? But, reality was far from what he had dreamt of. Dreams would always remain dreams. 

 


There was one thing he hated the most, and that was no other than waking him up early in the morning when he had spent his night partying hard with Ha Eun till the wee hours in the morning. It would make him mad if that happened on weekends.

 

“Taehyung, come to the house now!” Nam-joon ordered and ended the call before Taehyung could have a chance to protest.

 

Staring at his phone as if he was staring at his boss, he made a funny face before jumping out of the bed to clean himself in the washroom.

 

“Damn!” he cursed when he realized it was just nine in the morning. That means he just had three hours sleep. Once again his mind was filled with those swear words for Nam-joon as he had disturbed him from having his beauty sleep.

 

When he parked his car in front of the porch, Nam-joon had already arrived and was waiting for him in the living room. After having a final check on his appearance on the mirror, he stepped out of his car and went into the house.

 

“Good morning. May I know the reason for you to call me here today?”

 

“Find me a buyer for this house and sell it off as soon as possible.”

 

“What?” Taehyung cried in surprise. He wondered whether he had heard it wrongly since he was still a little groggy.

 

“I said I want to sell this house. So, help me in finding a buyer as soon as possible.” Nam-joon repeated his words.

 

“Are you sure you want to sell off this house, Nam-joon?” Taehyung asked again for confirmation.

 

“Just do as I told you and don’t question my decision.” Nam-joon answered and walked away.

 

“But, don’t you think it is a waste since you took charge of designing and building this house since a year ago? You even decorated it yourself.” Taehyung protested.

 

Nam-joon stopped at the door and turned back to face Taehyung, “Taehyung, it’s best to keep only memories than property that brings pain.”

 

Taehyung though didn’t know what had exactly happened to him but he could only sigh and feel sorry for what Nam-joon was going through at that moment. All he could do now is to pray that Nam-joon would pick himself up.

 

Kim Nam-joon, FIGHTING!!! He shouted in his mind.

 

While Taehyung was still figuring out ways to attract buyers, Nam-joon checked out the house for the one last time. He had spent the night here after the dinner. He had made the house according to Seo-rin’s preferences. He had wanted to let her know that the ‘reckless dino’ had managed to built a house all by his own. But, now he realized that he had wasted his energy and effort in doing so. He realized that he could not turn back the hand of time but could only move forward.

 

If she had indeed found her happiness, he would let her go. Seeing her happy was all he wanted. He would not hold on to her but make a mark of her in his heart. Selling off the house was the best choice he had now when memories could bring a smile on his face but not property. It would only bring him pain and tears.

 


A/N:

Ahnyoung to all my readers and subscribers, thank you for sparing your time and read this ^^

Okay, I've decided to add a prologue to explain why our Nam-joon got his 'reckless dino' nickname...and I promise i'll put up the epilogue soon, it is either tomorrow (160818) or the lastest will be the day after tomorrow (160819).

Well, do feel free to leave me your thoughts, I swear I won't bite ^^

Upvote it if you feel i deserve it .. :)

Till the next update, have a great day guys!

~Love, Noona Young~