Entry iv. Wandering.

Awkward

 2163 words.


Entry iv. Wandering.


 

Trailing behind Sunshine trailing behind two friends was not how he wanted to spend his Sunday per se but, he did want to see Sunshine. Just not this pitiful. But he watched anyways, Sunshine looked cute as always and he was with two friends, two which he recognized as Sehun, his neighbour, and Pixie boy. Then there was Sunshine, walking closely behind them because he was in the unfortunate situation where the sidewalk was too small for three people, and he saw how the tall boy’s gaze was focused on the way their hands were intertwined and swinging between their bodies.

 

For some reason, his chest was tightening up uncomfortably. He knew he wasn’t really wrong about his past presumptions that Sunshine was indeed in love with Pixie boy, and was in a tough spot where he couldn’t really afford to steal him away.

 

While Baekhyun was focused on Sunshine, and Sunshine was focused on Pixie, he failed to see the pole that was up ahead, despite his friends letting go and passing by just fine, it seemed that Sunshine was too engrossed in his staring to realize the danger up ahead. With his eyes still glued to the floor, he’d walked straight into the pole, a pained sound leaving his lips as Baekhyun ran towards him in alarm, the words Sunshine, are you okay? at the tip of his tongue. Thank God, he managed to stop himself in time, watching as the two friends who had already walked quite a distance away stop and look behind them, before laughing and telling Sunshine to hurry up or they’ll leave him behind.

 

They were just joking, he knew. But he still felt the bitterness stirring up in him, you kind of already are leaving him behind.

 

Baekhyun didn’t even notice he was holding on to Sunshine’s sleeve until the boy turned back to see what was stopping him from moving, Baekhyun blushed, quickly releasing his hold and beginning a sad attempt at explaining himself.

“I was just- you seemed like you weren’t paying attention and I’m sorry I was a little late to stop you, I promise I’m not following you or anything I was just on my way to-- ”

 

Baekhyun stopped once he heard the muffled laughter coming from Sunshine, the giant had the back of his hand against his mouth and he was giggling like crazy, until, finally, he burst out into laughter.

 

“I don’t,” More laughter. “I don’t know- pfft,” Even more laughter. “I don’t know why you’re trying so hard to explain yourself.” A little bit more laughter, a wiping of tears and finally a straightening up and quieting down of giggles. Sunshine looked at him fondly, “Thanks for trying to save me, I tend to get distracted easily,”

 

“Seems like it.” Baekhyun agreed.

 

“I mean, I lost the ladybug I was looking at but at least I got to see you today.”

 

Baekhyun doesn’t think he can handle any more adorably smooth lines from Sunshine, so despite his face probably looking like someone had replaced his cheeks with tomatoes, he smiled neutrally.

 

“Any more flirting and I’ll begin to think you like me or something.” He said, “I haven’t even gotten your name.”

 

Sunshine grinned, “We never got to the whole introduction part, did we?”

 

“We did not. If I remember correctly, you fell into my lap on the subway, not the greatest introduction if you ask me, but still, cute.” Now it was Sunshine’s turn to blush, scratching the back of his neck bashfully.

 

“Ha… about that, sorry, again. I was hoping that Girls’ Generation album would help you forget.”

 

“A little bit, I mean, I totally forgot about the part where you elbowed me in the side.” Baekhyun laughed, watching the blush on Sunshine’s face darken in color. “But hey, how about you tell me your name and I’ll pretend none of that ever happened.” Okay, smooth, Byun Baek, now you’ll finally be able to have his name.

 

“Sounds fair, I’m--”

 

Dimwit, care to join Sehun and I for this little group project that has our grades on the line?” ing Pixie boy! “I walked all the way back here because Sehun actually thought you got lost!”

 

“Luhan... you could’ve called.” Luhan! ing Luhan!

 

“...Right.” Pixie b- Luhan, turned to him, smiling as if he didn’t just yell demonically. Okay, maybe demonically was an exaggeration but he was yelling pretty damn loud. What does Sunshine see in him?

 

“Sorry about cutting your little chat short, but I’m just gonna borrow this one for now. See you.” And then he latched his arm to Sunshine and started dragging him away, Baekhyun spluttering and attempting to stop them but ultimately failing. Muttering a little goodbye under his breath while Sunshine waved at him helplessly.

 

The disappointment set in, and Baekhyun continued walking on his own, steps a little slower now with one thought running through his head;


 

ing Luhan!



 

Sadly for our Baekhyun, he failed to see the street pole up ahead and ended up walking head first into it. Holding his now throbbing head while he screwed his eyes shut, and once more he thought:


 

ing Luhan!!!!!!!!









 

Rainy days are a thing, and people taking refuge in a coffee shop on a rainy day is a thing. For that particularly cloudy monday though, the coffee shop was kind of empty and Byun Baekhyun was feeling kind of gloomy. Still hung up on the fact that he didn’t get Sunshine’s name and also the fact that he now had his car back, meaning he wouldn’t be able to get on any train rides with Sunshine and that made him terribly sad. The rain outside accurately represented how glum he was feeling, he can’t believe he wasn’t even happy to have his car back. What kind of reverse situation was that?

 

At the end of the day, he saw Jongin taking off his apron, and going to sit at one of the tables instead of leaving like he usually does and he walked over to the tan boy, sitting down across from him. Looking around the now empty coffee shop, he sighed as he waited for the minutes to tick by so he could close up and leave. The rain outside was still pouring down pretty heavily.

 

“Why aren’t you going home? We have umbrellas in the back.” He asked Jongin.

 

“My mom’s coming to pick me up, doesn’t want me walking around in this weather.” Jongin explained, looking just as annoyed with the weather as everybody else. Noticing the downcast look on Jongin’s face Baekhyun sighed exaggeratedly before speaking.

 

“Well, It’ll be good to see your mom, I need to ask her for tips on shutting you up.” Baekhyun joked as Jongin pouted his lips.

 

“Hyung, I’m not that bad!”

 

“Yeah, you keep saying that to yourself, but I’m the one that has to listen to you ramble on and on about champions and Land of Legends--”

 

“It’s league!”

 

“-- yeah, yeah, that.” Baekhyun burst out into giggles when he saw the offended look on Jongin’s face. The younger boy soon joining him after failing at keeping an angry face up.

 

He opened his mouth to let out another snarky comment when the bell at the door chimed and in walked a hooded figure, dripping wet with something held to it’s chest. It took Baekhyun only one look at the bow legs to figure out who it was, quickly standing up to run over to the tall boy.

 

“Oh my God, you’re soaked! Hey Jongin, see if you can find some towels or something in the back.”

 

Sunshine looked at him apologetically, “Sorry about walking in here like this, I didn’t realize I was this wet till I got here and, well, there was also-” Meow.

 

Meow?

 

Baekhyun's eyes landed on the thing Sunshine was holding to his chest, before a little furry head peeked out from under the large hands that were cradling it.

 

A handsome boy finding a cat in the pouring rain and taking it to a coffee shop. This was a scenario straight out of a shoujo anime, things like this aren’t supposed to happen in real life.

 

“I- uhm, let’s just get you dried off first before we take care of the cat.”

 

Soon after, Sunshine was sitting there with his wet jacket discarded a too small towel for him draped over his shoulders, while the little black feline nipped and at his fingers, Baekhyun having put a small bowl of milk out for it. Jongin had already left and so did the rest of his co-workers, leaving the locking up to him and also leaving him all alone with a wet cat and a wet puppy.

 

“Sorry again, you must hate me for making you stay late.” Sunshine said, eyes focused on the cat as it pushed its head into his palm as if demanding to be pet.

 

“It’s fine, I don't have anything better to do and honestly I don’t fancy the idea of having to drive around in this weather.”

 

“Drive? Don’t you take the train?” Sunshine inquired with a confused frown.

 

“No.. Actually, my car was just getting repaired after some idiot drove into it while it was parked, now I finally have it back but the universe clearly doesn’t want me to drive. Speaking of,” Baekhyun glanced up at the clock, “The last train is about to leave, and I don’t think it would be a good idea for you to rush to the station in this weather.. How about I drive you home?” He offered with a smile but Sunshine shook his head, causing Baekhyun’s face to fall.

 

“No- it would be too much trouble I’m sure I can catch a taxi or something.”

 

“It’s really no big deal, in fact I insist, you shouldn’t have to wait around in this weather. Also what about this little guy? he definitely wouldn’t like that.” As Baekhyun said that the cat had turned its head to look at the tall boy, letting out little whimpers.

 

Sunshine sighed in defeat. “All right.. I guess, but are you sure it won’t be any trouble?”

 

“Positive.” Baekhyun grinned.






 

Baekhyun’s car wasn’t starting. No matter what he did, or how many times he turned the key, it just- it just didn’t wanna start. It was getting somewhat awkward, the rain was still pouring and Sunshine was looking at him expectantly. Eventually, he sighed, leaned back in his seat and thoughtlessly said,

 

“Sunshine, I think we’re stuck here.” Well , that wasn’t supposed to come out.

 

Sunshine’s lips quirk up at the nickname but he doesn’t say anything about it, Baekhyun is too busy trying to calm his beating heart to notice the grin on the taller boy’s face.

 

“It’s all right, at least it’s warm in here and well, not wet.”

 

“Y-yeah.. I guess..” Baekhyun trailed off looking out the window, to the rain that doesn’t seem to want to let up any time soon.

 

The cat, which was previously snuggled up in Sunshine’s chest had taken purchase on the dashboard curling up on itself and sleeping soundly. Baekhyun’s let out a yawn at that, finally letting the tired feeling set in and Sunshine looked no better than him.

 

“We should at least make do with what we have, instead of falling asleep like this.” Sunshine suggested and Baekhyun nodded along.

 

“I think I have a little picnic cloth in the trunk, and if you put the seats down I’m sure there’ll be enough space to lie down… I hope.” He muttered the last part before climbing into the back seat and beginning to awkwardly rummage through the trunk in the tight space, finding the bright red picnic blanket, he threw it into the front before taking hold of the handle and folding the back seats.

 

Once he was done, he huffed tiredly, looking at the space which was definitely enough to fit them both.

 

“Come on, get in here.” Baekhyun said, ignoring the racing of his heart because well, he was in a very confined space with Sunshine. He was about to fall asleep next to Sunshine, he really didn’t know if the universe was working against him or in his favor at this point.

 

As Sunshine lied down next to him, sharing the red blanket, Baekhyun couldn’t even bring himself to look him in the eye. Even though it was all too dark to see what kind of expression he was making. He decided to focus on the pitter patter of the rain hitting his car instead of the heat radiator lying next to him.

 

Eventually his eyes began to droop and slowly, slowly he stopped worrying about pretending to become one with his car seat.

 

“Hey, by the way,” He heard Sunshine say, and he hummed in reply. “My name is Chanyeol.”

 

Baekhyun nodded sleepily, Chanyeol, huh?


“Baekhyun…”  He muttered, before finally drifting off to sleep.

 


a/n: unbetaed sorry for any typos but hey at least they know each other's names now....... or do they???