Entry i. Train Rides and Backpacks.

Awkward

1634 words.


 

Park Chanyeol was, to put it simply…. eccentric? Peculiar? Idiosyncratic, maybe? No, no, simpler than that. He was strange. Well not strange in a bad way. Just odd. Good odd. Baekhyun liked his odd. But right now, Baekhyun doesn’t know who Park Chanyeol is. All he knows is that there’s a tall, eccentric boy who rides the train with him, visits the cafe he works at often and happens to work at the music shop right across from him. Baekhyun wasn’t stalking or anything, he was just observing. After all, it was pretty hard not to notice him. They do always happen to end up in awkward situations, unfortunately for Chanyeol and a bit for Baekhyun, but most of the time Baekhyun found these situations amusing. Regardless of how awkward they were.

 

As of now, Park Chanyeol and Byun Baekhyun have had a lot of encounters (like a lot) but they haven’t officially met. They will, though. Officially. But it takes a few steps to get there.

 

Steps that Baekhyun happened to have written in his journal about. So he’ll remember what made his uneventful days quite eventful.


 

Entry i. Losing your balance in the train because you’re too cool to hang on to the pole.


 

Being without a car . For many reasons. One: he had to walk to the damn station early in the morning, he was definitely not a morning person. Two: he had to wait at the station for his train with about 50 other people, crowds were definitely not his thing. Three: he had to sit in said crowded train. Ugh, God help him if he had to stand too!

 

Lucky for him, today he was sitting. Sure, he was crushed by one woman whose knee was digging into his own, she seemed unfazed by that. On his left side was a teenager blaring loud music in the otherwise quiet train. Screamo at 7AM, teens are wild these days.

 

Still, at least he was sitting. However, there was someone standing, right in front of him and struggling to get his arm through the loop on his backpack. Baekhyun watched as the stranger kept missing the loop multiple times (how do you even manage to do that?). He was sure the train was about to come to a halt, and if the tall boy doesn’t hold onto something, he was positively going to end up--

 

“Oh my God, I’m so sorry!”

 

In Baekhyun’s lap.

 

Baekhyun smiled forcefully. The lady next to him squeaked. The teen on his other side had already stood up and held onto one of the poles, not sparing the fallen stranger a single glance as he rolled (rolled!) off Baekhyun’s lap and into the space beside him.

 

“I’m sorry! Are you hurt anywhere?” The boy worriedly asked, Baekhyun gave him an assuring smile.

 

“I’m fine. It’s all right.” He said then turned away from the boy, his eyes were entirely too big for his face, and he looked genuinely concerned. Baekhyun had no time for that so early in the morning. He couldn’t help but notice that the boy had given up on the shoulder strap. Good, he didn’t want him trying to put that in while he was sitting.

 

Okay, he spoke too soon, this guy was seriously trying to subtly put his backpack on while he was sitting. Elbow repetitively hitting Baekhyun’s shoulder as he maneuvered the bag behind him and slid his arm into the loop. His hand brushed against Baekhyun’s back, and he shuddered in slight discomfort, hoping he would withdraw his hand soon, but no, he just sat there with his arm resting on Baekhyun’s back. What the ef!

 

“Excuse me, could you maybe-” Baekhyun gestures to his outstretched arm in the cramped space and the boy looked confused for about 2 seconds before his mouth formed an ‘o’ shape and he promptly slid his hand back to himself.

 

“Sorry,” He apologized again. Baekhyun noticed another thing. His voice was also way too deep for his baby-face. He should really be annoyed right now, but he couldn’t find it in himself to be irritated at this adorable stranger. Damn his nice side coming out now out of all times.

 

“It’s okay.” Baekhyun smiled, and the stranger grinned widely at him and Baekhyun wondered why the sun is suddenly shining in the damn train!





 

Getting off the train was probably the greatest thing that’s going to happen to him all day. Baekhyun knows that unless Ryan Gosling walks into the cafe he works at shirtless he was not going to be happy. Not with his car gone and this little stranger fiasco in the train. Now he can only hope for another boring day. No more backpack straps please!

 

Throughout the day, he serves customers cheerfully alongside Jongin, the desperate for money part-timer.

 

“Why are you even worried about expenses Jongin you live with your parents and you’re seventeen years old!”

 

 

“But hyung, there are new skins in League of Legends and I need to save up enough to buy them.”

 

“What the hell is that?”

 

Later, he regretted asking that because he had to listen to Jongin ramble for an hour straight about servers and champions and turrets. Someone save him.

 

There was also the baristas Minseok and Yixing, but Baekhyun could hardly be bothered with them. They were nice, did their job well, and most importantly they were quiet. Why can’t Jongin take after them or something?

 

And of course, their money-minded boss, Junmyeon. If you can’t do you job well and get him sales, you might as well get the hell out of there. Jongin was hired because he was handsome, most of what he did involved charming the ladies, wiping tables (and floors) and convincing customers to buy the expensive cakes their baker, Kyungsoo, makes.

 

He on the other was at the cashier most of the day, smiling at customers and welcoming them, taking their orders and whatnot. It was a comfortable job, he adored the smell of coffee and freshly baked blueberry muffins. He liked his co-workers, had a decent amount of pay and vacation time. What more could he ask for?



 

The day passed by fairly quick in his opinion. Having arrived at the cafe at 8 and setting up with Minseok, while people slowly started to file in for their morning coffees and bagels. Baekhyun had painted a smile on his face and served them happily.

 

It isn’t until the end of his day that something mildly exciting happens. The stranger from the train walks in and Baekhyun finds himself a little slack jawed while the boy made his order.

 

In the midst of taking his order, the giant recognized him. Something he was hoping didn’t happen.

 

“Hey, you’re the guy from this morning! Sorry about falling into your lap,” He chuckled awkwardly and Baekhyun only nodded and continued to take his order. Jongin’s ears perked up at the words fall and lap and he smirked at Baekhyun when the tall man left to wait for his drink.

 

“So what’s this I heard about your lap?”

 

“Shut up, Jongin. Go wipe some tables.” Baekhyun said, throwing a rag on the counter at Jongin’s head, but the tan boy simply removed it and opened his mouth to say something before he stopped, a sly smile creeping onto his lips and Baekhyun doesn’t like it one bit.

“Well, if you don’t tell me, I’m sure he will.” Jongin started to make his way around the counter before Baekhyun can make a grab at him.

 

“Don’t bother the customers, Jongin!”



 

Talking to the tall man proved useless. Jongin had used his most friendly waiter voice but he’d only get cut off with questions about what flavor muffins they had up today, the weather and when his drink would arrive. Jongin almost threw the rag at him, but one threatening look from Baekhyun had him reeling back and leaving the guy alone until his drink was finished.

 

Baekhyun watched him, as he slowly sipped on his coffee with a sickening amount of sugar and milk added. He had a few scattered papers around him, erasing and scribbling every few minutes while bobbing his head to a beat that he could only hear. For a little bit, Baekhyun felt like he was actually peaceful. The tall guy, not him. He seemed absorbed in his own world and only stopped his constant bobbing and scribbling when he finished his drink, eliciting a loud slurping noise when there was nothing left inside the plastic cup. Who drinks hot coffee with a straw anyways? This guy was weird.

 

He packed up his things and thankfully got both his arms through his backpack straps easily. When he passed by Baekhyun, he dropped a tip in the jar and smiled that annoyingly bright smile that he gave him in the train.

 

“For this morning,” He said with his smile still turned up to maximum brightness. “And the delicious coffee.”

 

After he left, Baekhyun stared after him blankly. He doesn’t know why a stupid smile creeped its way onto his face. He probably looks like a fool now. Even Jongin’s surprised, Byun Baekhyun doesn’t just smile at absolutely nothing. Unless a new Girls’ Generation album came out, there was pretty much nothing else. He still ignored Jongin, though. Not interested in listening to him talk about how many League games he won yesterday night.

 

Belatedly, he realizes that he never got the stranger’s name. Not that he was interested (okay maybe a little intrigued) but he does hope he can put a name to that adorable face. For now, he’ll just call him Sunshine. Lame, but it’s the only word in Baekhyun’s head right now so until he gets the boy’s actual name, Sunshine’s staying.