Chapter Four

Just a Nudge
Please log in to read the full chapter

For a while Hoseok and I were in a weird place. Fortunately, our friendship was worth something, so he kept his together around Jooheon. Unfortunately, he wasn't so great with the rest of the band when Jooheon wasn't around. Even the most oblivious members had picked up on it.

Which was how I found myself dealing with an awkward conversation.

"What's up with you and Wonho?"

My eyes were probably bulging. I was internally screaming. I would have preferred for literally anyone else to have asked me this.

"I don't know what you mean."

Hyunwoo clearly wasn't buying it.

"Don't bull me. Something happened between you two," he stared me down, hands on hips. "You guys break up or get in a fight or what?"

I was in awe. For a second I let myself wonder what living in Hyunwoo's world must be like. Hoseok and I dating? Wild.

"We were never dating."

Hyunwoo smirked.

"I might not pick up on everything, but I'm not an idiot."

Amazing.

"Appa," I felt like I was reminding someone with Alzheimer's that their wife was dead, "I'm dating Jooheon."

Hyunwoo's face went blank. After a minute of processing this, he swallowed and nodded.

"Oh."

I waited for him to process a bit more.

"Did you know that Wonho loves you?"

I regretted volunteering to go with Hyunwoo to the corner store. I regretted going to the dorm that day. I regretted waking up. I stared at a rack of crisps, trying to think of how to handle this conversation.

"We've been best friends for ages," I started cautiously, "he's never really had to share me before."

Hyunwoo observed the triangle kimbap. He gasped softly and turned to me.

"You're dating Jooheon? How long has that been a thing?"

This is not how I would have liked to have told the band.

"Jooheon, can I talk to you for a second?"

He looked a little worried as he followed me back to his room. As soon as the door was shut, he was wrapping his arms around me.

"What's wrong? I'm sorry."

I laughed and pecked his cheek.

"Relax. I'm the apologising one."

"Oh. Well I forgive you. Man," he squeezed me tightly, "I am so good at relationships!"

This dork.

"Joohoney... I told appa about us dating."

He pulled back to look at me.

"Like... Shownu appa or your father? Either way, that took longer than I expected."

He was taking this surprisingly well.

"Hyunwoo. He thought Wonho and I were a thing, so I had to explain."

"Okay."

I looked at him in wonder.

"How are you so calm about this?"

He smiled a cheesy grin and kissed my cheek.

"Are you kidding me? I would have told the whole world the second I first kissed you," he let me go and opened up the door.

"I was just waiting on you. And now that Shownu knows..." he practically skipped towards the living room, raising his voice.

"Hey guys! Guess who has a girlfriend!"

I heard Hyungwon shout back from somewhere in the dorm.

"We know! We knew before you did! Jesus Christ you are stupid!"

I also heard a door slam. Ignoring the sounds of conversation in the common area, I went to the other bedroom. I knocked softly, not looking forward to this conversation.

"What?"

I tried the door handle, but it was locked.

"Oppa... Let me in."

There was no sound for a minute. Then the door swung open.

I had seen this expression on Hoseok before. But it had never been directed at me. It was the angry face that he would make before his frustrated crying would start. As his friend I always hated seeing it. As the person who was at least partially responsible for it I felt like crying myself.

"Shouldn't you be getting congratulated with Joohoney?"

Crossing my arms, I didn't respond. I knew I just had to wait it out.

I saw the tell-tale sign, his nostrils flaring slightly, a deep breath. He cleared his throat.

"I'm sorry."

He was blinking furiously now, not looking directly at me.

"Hoseokie... You don't have to be sorry. I know it's not the best for you," I leaned against the door frame, "but can't you try to be happy for me?"

"I don't want to. I..." He clamped his mouth shut as footsteps approached. Minhyuk bustled past us.

"I think Shownu is broken. Kihyun's about to pull a muscle from being so smug..."

He kept talking as he shuffled through his stuff. Pulling a sweatshirt over his head, he headed back towards the common area.

"I'm glad you two are talking again."

It was such a simple sentiment, and he said it in such an offhand way, and I felt like I wanted to cry. Swallowing thickly I turned back towards Hoseok.

"Yah, no... Come on," he pulled me into a hug, "crying is my thing. Don't look like that."

"I want to be friends again," I muffled into his shirt.

"We are friends. Yah, stop that. You're going to make me cry." He was pulling me into the room now. I heard the door shut behind us. "We can't both cry. You know how messy that will get."

I snorted slightly. He was right, of course. We were both pretty emotional people. I hit his chest half-heartedly.

"This is all your fault, jerk."

He pulled away from me, sitting down on his bed. He leaned back on his hands and looked up at me.

"How is it my fault?"

"You... You're my best friend! You're

Please log in to read the full chapter