Chapter 12 (Final)

Future Dreams

Hoseok arrived at the bridge twenty-five minutes later, his breaths ripping their way out of his chest. The bridge was completely deserted; it wasn’t often used after the rush hour traffic died down. He ran half way over the bridge until he saw Eun Ji. She was standing on the wrong side of the railings, Hyunwon standing on his side of the railings, one of his strong hands wrapped around her arm. She let out a small cry when she saw him. “Eun Ji!” he yelled, his gaze turning cold as he turned to face Hyunwon. “Let her go.” He said, stopping a couple of metres away from the older man.

 

“Look who has come to play the hero.” He mocked. “You must be thinking that if you save her it will make up for your failure to Da Mi, am I right?” he yelled, his grip on Eun Ji’s arm tightening painfully. He had removed the cable ties from her ankles and wrists before bringing her here, she had tried to struggle and to get away, but he was far too quick and strong. Despite her fear, she glared at the man beside her. Hating the expression that crossed Hoseok's face from his words.

 

Hoseok clenched his hands into fists, his nails biting into the skin of his palms. “Nothing will ever make up for me failing Da Mi.” he said, his voice barely loud enough to carry over to the other two people on the bridge. “You’ve done nothing wrong!” Eun Ji cried desperately. “Shut up!” Hyunwon growled at her, pushing her a fraction closer to the edge. “STOP!” Hoseok screamed desperately. “Hyunwon, please.” He pleaded, his hands shaking from adrenaline and fear. “What good will come of doing this? Hurting her won't bring Da Mi back!”

 

“No, it won't.” Hyunwon said, his voice eerily calm. “But you… you… you have the goddamn audacity to be happy after letting her die? I can’t stand it.” He said, spitting the words out viciously. Every word coated with pain and loss. “Hyunwon…” Hoseok said, taking a tentative step closer. “What happened to Da Mi. It was awful. It should never have happened to her. But… it wasn’t my fault.” He said, surprising himself with the confidence in his words. He had said them plenty of times before, but every time a small part of him had always refused it, a part of him had always felt guilty for her death. But this time, there was no small voice in the back of his mind telling him that it was a lie. No small voice telling him that he should feel guilty. Instead there was a voice telling him that he deserved to heal. Telling him that he wasn’t to blame. He realised that that voice was a blend of two voices, Da Mi’s and Eun Ji’s.

 

“She wouldn’t want you to be like this. She wouldn’t want you to hurt an innocent girl.” He said, his gaze flicking over to meet Eun Ji’s pained gaze for a few seconds before looking back at Hyunwon. “Think about it, Hyunwon. She looked up to you, she’d be heartbroken if she could see you like this.” Both Hoseok and Eun Ji could see the war of emotions on Hyunwon’s face as he listened to Hoseok's words. He was torn between trying to avenge his sister’s death and listening to the truth in Hoseok's words. “Please Hyunwon, just let Eun Ji go and no one needs to get hurt. We both know this isn’t the real you.” He said, taking another step closer, leaving only three steps between them.

 

Hyunwon hung his head. “She deserved better than to die so young.” He said, his voice sounding broken and hollow. “I know.” Hoseok said, his voice mirroring the pain in Hyunwon’s voice. Eun Ji looked between the two men, sympathy welling up inside of her. They had both lost someone precious to them that day. Hyunwon sighed loudly and slowly released his grip on Eun Ji’s arm. She quickly grabbed onto the railing, not daring to make any other movements. The three of them stood that way, frozen in their own thoughts as the heavens opened and it began to rain. Hyunwon raised his head, his gaze landing on Hoseok. “I’m glad that you loved her as much as you did.” Hoseok gave him a weak smile.

 

Hyunwon hesitated for a few seconds before turning his back to Hoseok and started walking towards his car. He opened the door and gave Hoseok one last look. He opened his mouth to speak but closed it again before getting into the car and driving off. Neither Hoseok or Eun Ji moved until Hyunwon's car disappeared from view. Hoseok snapped back to attention and ran towards the railing, pulling Eun Ji into a tight hug. She sobbed loudly into his shoulder, her grip around him tight as she clawed at the soaked material of his t-shirt. “I thought I’d lost you.” He said against her hair as he pressed kisses to the top of her head. She pulled away from him, her tears and the rain mixing together on her face.

 

“Come on.” He said as he held his hand out for her. She grabbed his hand and started to pull herself over the railings. To Hoseok's horror, he felt her fingers slip through his as she fell backwards, her feet slipping on the wet metal of the railings. Time seemed to slow down, her eyes widening, her wet hair flowing upwards, opening in the beginning of a scream as she disappeared from his view. “EUN JI!” he screamed her name at the top of his lungs as she disappeared. He lunged forward in an attempt to grab her, but he missed her hand by an inch.

 

He heard her terrified scream and he looked over the railings, he could just make out her figure hanging just below the ledge she had been standing on. She screamed his name as she held on for dear life. He didn’t even hesitate as he launched himself over the railings onto the narrow ledge, crouching over and reaching for her. “Give me your hand!” he yelled, blinking against the raindrops that insisted on falling into his eyes, making his vision blurry. She looked up at him crouched on the narrow ledge. She shook her head. “I can’t!” she wailed.

 

“Yes you can!” he roared. “I won't let you die! Give me your hand!” she shook her head, her fingers beginning to slip. “I can’t! If I do, you’ll fall!” she cried. Hoseok's heart was beating so fast from the adrenaline he was surprised it hadn’t broken through his ribcage. “For god sake Eun Ji, just give me your hand! I won't stand here and watch you die! If you fall, I fall! Give me your hand!” he pleaded. After another moment of uncertainty, she made her decision.

 

She let go, Hoseok instantly grabbing her wrist. He grunted as he pulled her upwards, adrenaline lending him the strength he needed. She managed to find a toe hold as she scrambled over the lip of the ledge. Once her torso was safely over the edge and on the narrow ledge, Hoseok fell backwards, his back pressed against the railings, her in between his legs as he held her tight against his chest, tears running down both their faces. They sat there, the rain pouring down on them for what felt like an eternity as they kissed and held each other close, barely able to believe what had almost happened.

 

Hoseok stood up and helped her over the railing and on to the bridge where she immediately fell to her knees, her legs not strong enough to hold her up. He jumped over after her and pulled her into another tight hug. “I saw you.” He whispered, his voice fragile. “I had a vision. I saw you fall.” Eun Ji closed her eyes, she could only imagine the thoughts that must have been running through his head. “I was terrified. I thought I was going to lose you. Then Hyunwon called…” he buried his face in the crook of her neck as he cried. She rubbed his back as he held her almost painfully tight. “Everything’s alright. I’m fine. I’m right here.” She said, her voice still shaking as she tried to calm him down.

 

They stayed wrapped in each other’s embrace until Hoseok was able to calm himself down. He gently cupped her face. “Eun Ji, I am so sorry. This is all my fault.” He said, his voice laced with guilt. She frowned at him. “Don’t you dare say that.” She said, her voice firm. “None of this was your fault! Hoseok, you literally just saved my life! Don’t you dare blame yourself for this!”

 

“But…”

 

“No buts!” she said firmly, interrupting him. She took his hands in her own, still shaking hands, giving him a warm smile. “You’re a wonderful person Hoseok, I’m lucky to have you in my life.” He smiled at her, wiping the rain and tears away from her face. “I’m luckier.” He said. “Come on, let’s go home.” He said as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders, pulling her against his side as he led her back to his apartment.

 

That night, after they showered, they curled up together in his bed. Not letting each other go for even a second. The thought that things could have turned out very differently running through both their minds. They lay awake, their limbs tangled up in each other’s as the sun began to rise. Sleep had eluded them so far, but as the sun began to rise, they both felt the pull of sleep tugging at them. Hoseok looked down at the woman in his arms. She had changed him so much since they had met all those months ago. He wondered how his life would have turned out if they had never met. Would he still be pining after Da Mi? Still too guilty to get his life back on track?

 

He knew that he would never be able to thank her for everything she had done for him. He knew that he would spend the rest of his life trying to give back everything she had given to him, and even that would never be enough to repay her for putting him back together again. He ran his fingers down her arm, smiling as she twitched and snuggled in closer to him. For as long as he could remember he had had visions of the future. For over a year, he had never dared dreamed of a future for himself that didn’t involve a whiskey bottle. But now, thanks to her, he finally felt like he would be able to dream of his future, and that future was lying next to him.