Chapter 11

Future Dreams

Eun Ji groaned, her head throbbing, the world spinning around her. “What the heck?” she tried to lift her hand to rub at her temples but both her hands raised at the same time making her smack herself in the face. It took her almost a full minute to realise that her hands had been bound together. She looked around, realising that she had no idea where she was. She took a couple of deep breaths, trying to calm her rising panic. She slowly took in her surroundings. It looked like she was in a large warehouse, lying on the dirty, rubbish covered floor. Her ankles were bound together, her hands bound in front of her. Her breathing became shallow as panic set in and she realised just how much trouble she was in. She spotted her bag lying a few metres away on top of a large, wooden box.

 

She thought back to the last thing she could remember as she struggled against her restraints, trying to slide her way closer to her bag. She had been on her way to the bar for her shift. She remembered a black car pulling up beside her then… a sharp pain in her head then… nothing. She could feel the cut of the nylon cable tie digging into her wrists, her jeans thankfully protecting her ankles. She cursed at the rawness of her wrists, the skin wearing away from how tightly the tie had been secured around her wrists.

 

She called out, hoping that someone would be passing by and would hear her. She heard footsteps approaching her, fear clutched at her, closing as she tried to identify the person coming towards her. The footsteps were unhurried; she knew that the person approaching her was not there to rescue her. A pair of trainers appeared in her line of vision. She looked up, trying to make out the person’s facial features in the gloom of the dark warehouse. The person crouched down, and it took her a few seconds for her to remember who those facial features belonged to. It was a face that she had seen only once, a couple of weeks before. “You’re Da Mi’s brother.” She whispered. Dread coursed through her as he glared down at her.

 

 

 

Hoseok was at the dance studio. He had checked the schedule more thoroughly to ensure he wouldn’t bump into Hyunwon again. The older man had made it clear that he wanted nothing to do with him. He stumbled as he felt the familiar pressure of a vision build up and he stopped dancing, slowing his breathing in preparation for the vision as he rubbed at his temple. He let out a gasp, his hand tightening into a fist as the bridge he had seen a million times in his nightmares filled his vision. Sweat, that was not related to his physical exertion, ran down his back and beaded on his forehead making him shiver.

 

He saw Eun Ji, tears streaming down her face as she fell off the ledge of the bridge and plunge into the fast flowing water below. He let out a cry as he fell to his knees like a puppet whose strings had been cut. “NO!” he screamed. He’d had this vision before, only the last time it hadn’t been Eun Ji’s face he had seen, it had been Da Mi’s. He sat, frozen in place as the vision faded. He cradled his head in his shaking hands. “This can’t be happening. This can’t be happening.” He said over and over again, shaking his head in an attempt to remove the horrifying scene from his mind.

 

He tried to force himself to his feet, his knees buckling underneath him. He opted to crawl to his bag and tipped it upside down to find his phone. He dialled Eun Ji’s number, his hands shaking as he held the phone to his ear, begging, praying for her to answer. He cursed loudly as her phone went to voicemail. He tried calling again, hoping that she was just too busy at the bar to answer. After four more failed attempts to reach her, he threw his phone to the floor, his entire body trembling as his mind replayed the visions of her and Da Mi falling from the bridge over and over again.

 

He heard the familiar ring of his phone and practically pounced on the device. “Hello?” he said, his voice verging on hysterical. “Hey Hoseok. Is Eun Ji with you? She didn’t turn up for her shift.” Said Namjoon's deep voice. Hoseok felt like all the air had been from the room and that his blood had been replaced with ice. She never missed work, especially not without telling anyone. If she had been sick, she would have told him and she would have called the bar to let them know that she wouldn’t be able to make it in. A million thoughts began running through his head. He heard Namjoon call his name, but he sounded far away as he tried to hold himself together. The visions had been incredibly similar. He could still remember every detail of the vision he had seen of Da Mi’s death. He remembered seeing her walking across the bridge, the grate below her feet giving way and her slipping through the narrow gap, her fingers desperately trying to gain purchase on anything to stop her falling through. Her ring was ripped from her fingers as she fell through into the cold water below.

 

Then his vision of Eun Ji. Tears streaming down her face as she fell from the exact same bridge. Namjoon's voice brought him back to reality. “Hoseok!” He brought the phone back up to his ear. “Namjoon…” he said, his voice hoarse and shaky as he fought back his tears. “I had a vision.” Namjoon instantly shut up, fear snaking its way down his spine at the broken sound of Hoseok's voice. “What did you see?” he asked hesitantly, already dreading the answer. “Eun Ji. She’s going to die.”

 

 

 

Eun Ji shuffled backwards, away from the man in front of her. “What do you want? Why am I here?” she asked as she pushed herself into a sitting position. Hyunwon sat on a low box, looking at her curiously. “I can’t believe he replaced my sister with you.” He muttered as he grabbed her bag and rummaged through it. She grit her teeth as she continued to struggle against the restraints around her wrists. “I’m not replacing anyone.” She spat. He turned to her with a glare as he threw her bag to the floor. “He’s trying to replace her because he let her die!” he roared. She flinched away from him, his anger completely terrifying.

 

“Did he tell you what he did? How he knew that his girlfriend, the woman he was supposed to love and protect, died because of him?” he spat. “It wasn’t his fault!” she countered, her eyebrows furrowed in anger. He laughed at her, but there was no warmth in his laughter. “Of course it was his fault! He saw it before it ing happened! He should have stopped it from happening!”

 

“He did try to stop it! As soon as he had the vision he called her, to try and tell her to stay away from the bridge. He ran there as fast as he could to try and get there in time. There’s nothing else he could have done!” she shouted. Anger flared through her as she tried to protect Hoseok. She knew that no matter how much time passed, that a small part of him would always blame himself for what had happened to Da Mi. She hated that Hyunwon was harbouring so much hatred for Hoseok for something that wasn’t his fault.

 

“Hoseok wasn’t the one that made her fall! It was an accident! He tried to stop it!” she shouted. Hyunwon stood up and kicked the box he had been sitting on, the wood splintering under the force of his kick. “He should have ing stopped it! And he didn’t! and now he's got you while my sister is dead and he thinks he should be allowed happiness?” he laughed loudly. “I’m going to show him that he doesn’t deserve happiness, and you're doing to help me.” Eun Ji pressed her back against the wall behind her as Hyunwon held up her phone, the notifications showing her missed calls and messages flashing up on the screen. He quickly unlocked the device and found the number he was looking for. He turned his back to her as he held the phone to his ear.

 

 

 

Hoseok jumped when his phone rang, a small smile of relief on his face when Eun Ji’s photo appeared on his screen. He answered the call, not giving her a chance to speak. “Eun Ji! Thank god you called! Why haven’t you been answering my calls!? Why aren’t you at work? Where are you? Are you ok?” he asked rapidly. His whole body tensed up when he heard a male voice on the other end of the line. “Eun Ji?” he said, fear beginning to clutch at his heart again.

 

“I have your girlfriend. If you want to see her again meet me at the bridge in half an hour. Come alone.” Hoseok froze as the line went dead. His eyes were wide with shock as his phone slipped from his grasp, clattering to the floor below him. He recognised the voice instantly. He checked the time, it was almost midnight, he was wasting time. He grabbed his phone, completely disregarding the rest of his belongings as he tore out of the building as fast as he could, his legs moving as fast as he could as he dodged the cars and people in his way. His only thought to get to the bridge on time.

 

“I won't let her die. Not this time.” He said to himself as he made his way to the bridge. “Just wait Eun Ji. I’m coming.”