Just best friends with her

To Stay Away

"Hey." ______ looked up from her biology notes to see Irene answering a call.

"Yeah..."

"Mmhm..."

"Sorry, I'm studying with ______." ______ smiled. She was more important that whoever Irene was talking to.

"Next time?"

"Maybe, we'll see."

"See you tomorrow, love you." ______ subconsciously furrowed her eyebrows.

Irene hung up and looked up at ______.

"Hey, ______, you okay? Why are you frowning?"

______ looked up and shook her head, forming a tight smile. "Who was that?"

Irene turned back to her binder. "Oh, it was Bogum. He asked if I wanted to go to the movies with him."

"And...?" ______ knew the answer already by the half of the conversation she heard, but it wouldn't hurt to hear it again.

"And I said I was studying with you." Irene didn't even look up, but ______ grinned victoriously.

Finished with her studying, she boldly sat in the space behind Irene on her chair and gave her a back hug, resting her head against the girl's shoulder. If Irene suspected anything, she could always just claim it was a best friend thing.

Best friend.

She kind of hated those words now. It was like being friend zoned, except you were so close to getting there and at the same time, knew you weren't there and may never be there.

It was kind of depressing, actually.

Irene felt the sigh against her back. "Hey, are you alright?

"Yeah, just....tired." Not entirely false, just not in the way Irene thought.

"Hmmm....I'm almost done studying. You wanna go do something later?"

"Really?!" Irene bit her lip, giggling at ______'s cute excitement.

"Really. Just wait till I'm done."

"Yay!"

______ rested her head back on Irene's shoulder and quickly guided her through the whole exercise, making it go as fast as she could without telling her the answer. When she finally finished, ______ grabbed her bag and her wallet and almost ran out the door.

"Come on, unnie!"

Irene saw Taeyeon following ______ downstairs, keys in hand. "Taeyeon unnie is going to drive us there! Come onnnnn we spent so much time studying, let's have some fun!"

"Alright, I'm coming, I'm coming."

Irene wondered where they were going that made ______ bounce up and down like this. It was the first time ______ had been so excited for months. The last time was probably her birthday, when she had a small party at a puppy farm.

If that was her idea of fun, she kind of regretted suggesting and agreeing to go out.

"______? Where are we going?"

"Shhh, it's a secret. We're almost there," she grinned.

"We'd better not be going to somewhere scary like a-"

"We're here!" The younger girl impatiently lead the other out of the car, not forgetting to thank Taeyeon, who waved and told them to have fun at the....arcade.

Oh, Irene grinned. So excited for an arcade?

______ was actually more excited since her crush had suggested to go out and have fun together, but she eagerly went in and bought the token cards what were like debit cards you would swipe to play games.

"What do you want to play?" ______ asked.

"Hmm..how about that one?" Irene pointed to a random game and they got started.

Ski ball was fun but they didn't gain many tickets, mostly to their combined lack of skill. They quickly gave up since the game was one of the more expensive games.

Irene was really good at the Fruit Ninja Arcade screen, professionally swiping her arm left and right. Tickets poured out of the machine and ______ folded them as they came out and put them carefully into their ticket box.

Irene did a little victory dance, except the dance looked like something her grandma would dance to.

"No wonder why you're good at fruit ninja. You dance like an ahjumma and cut fruit just like an ahjumma," ______ teased. Irene pouted and slapped her shoulder, turning away playfully. ______ hugged her and snuggled into her, muttering, "Don't be mad... I was just teasing."

Irene blushed at their position and cleared . "I'm not mad. Let's go to the next game."

Luckily, ______ didn't notice the rather abrupt change of subject and hopped over to the giant wheel. Lights framed the wheel and the bulbs would light up in order, making the light run in a fast circle. Each bulb was part of a little section that would tell how many tickets you got.

Irene tried it first, hitting the button to stop the light when it got to the 1000 tickets part, the highest number and also the smallest section, only taking one bulb while other prizes had two or three. She missed, and the bulb moved five more spaces within that split second to 15 tickets.

"Let me try," ______ suggested.

It was the game she had won last time, earning Irene that purple stuffed animal. She swiped her card and waited for the bulb to go a few rounds to watch the speed. Then, she hit the button five spaces before the 1000 bulb.

Sure enough, the light stopped at 1000. The two cheered and after gathering the tickets, went another four times. ______ got the 1000 spot another two times, and an 100 as well as a 5.

"We have a lot of tickets now, lets just play for fun," Irene suggested. ______ agreed and they went over to a dance dance revolution game.

Irene was really good at it, moving her feet quickly and hitting all of the hardest spots. A few people even came to watch as audience.

______ was the opposite, clumsily trying to keep up until the end of the game. She had an alright score, but it was nothing compared to Irene's.

Irene played two more rounds, while ______ proudly videotaped her on her phone. She attracted a small crowd as she professionally played.

When she was done, she turned around and finally noticed the crowd and bowed shyly. The crowd dispersed, and the two continued on.

They played a few more games before they ran out of tokens. ______ was good at the Simpsons soccer game, where Homer was the goalie and she had to kick the ball past him. She was good at kicking a still ball and such, but lacked the skills and tricks and speed to be really good in an actual game. ______ complained she wasn't able to properly kick since the metal cage for the game restricted her leg movement.

They also played laser tag and Go kart. Irene won the laser tag, hands down, but ______ was the faster driver of the two since Irene was scared of crashing and tended to drive carefully.

When they ran out of tokens, they went over to trade for their prizes. They had more than 4000 tickets, 3000 of them from ______'s game.

They only had one problem.

"You choose."

"No, you choose, you paid for the tokens."

"Still, choose something."

"You won the most tickets. Choose."

"My choice is to let you choose."

"Choose something else."

"If I get something, will you choose?"

"...okay."

So ______ got a box of sour gummy worms, only amounting to 5 tickets. Irene looked at her choice and rolled her eyes.

"You sneaky little..."

______ laughed and daringly kissed her cheek. "Love you, too," she said, and Irene blushed since they usually didn't do much skinship.

If only she knew how literal those words were.


Irene ended up getting a purple beanbag and ______ got a blue stuffed puppy to go with Irene's purple stuffed bunny. ______ gave the pack of gummy worms to Taeyeon for driving them(and for the long talks during ______'s moment of teenage angst, but they didn't mention it in front of Irene).

If only it was a real date, not a fun outing between best friends.

Best friends.

______ despised the words, "best friends".


A/N

Hey guys, subscribe, ask, comment, upvote, etc, as usual for those of you who actually read these.

The arcade part is actually a true story from a few years ago. The games were some of my favorite games. I usually don't play the wheel thing but that time, I got three or four 1000s in a row before my luck ran out. I had wanted the giant blue soccer ball, but I gave my tickets away to a little girl who wanted a Disney princess thing for 5000 tickets.

At least I dominated at GoKart. Though I really do fail at laser tag. And Dance Dance revolution.

Also, check out my Harry Potter AU oneshot celebrating Hp's bday, Tiff's bday, and #9yearswithSNSD.

That's it for today!