Returning to her

To Stay Away

______ finally made up her mind. She couldn't keep doing this-avoiding Irene that is-and she wasn't doing any better now than she was before. If anything, she was becoming worse, if worse meant she loved Irene even more. Great for Irene's ego, probably, but terrible for her own sanity.

Something about missing someone seems to make you think about them more often and amplifies the feelings you feel most about them.

And now that she had sort of come to terms with herself, ______ could identify that overwhelming feeling that she felt whenever she thought of Irene.

Love.

She still didn't know what to do though. She couldn't even figure out her own ual orientation. She didn't want to ask her parents, they wouldn't understand. She didn't want to just jump into it and go back to the way it was before, but she couldn't pretend that nothing had happened. Especially since her friends obviously knew at least a bit of what was going on with all those questions and suspicious looks she's been getting all week.

So she went back to the two people she trusted the most about her feelings, the two that had known her feelings before she knew how she felt, herself.

She knocked on their neighbor's door.

______ didn't need to worry about Irene being there, she saw her leaving earlier with Bogum on another date. ______ almost cringed at the thought.

Taeyeon was cooking since her parents were out of town, but when she opened the door and saw ______, she knew something was up. She immediately called her girlfriend, dragged the younger girl to the dining room, and put on music, dancing while she cooked.

______ found herself laughing and smiling at something that wasn't on a screen for the first time in a week. It was mostly at Taeyeon's severe lack of dancing skill and her random music taste. After a heavy rap song, to which Taeyeon attempted to rap along to until she gave up and decided to just bounce to the bass vibrating all the glassware, her laptop on shuffle would play a disney song and Taeyeon would dramatically wave her spatula around as she conjured snowmen and ice sculptures and towering snow hills as she caroled, "Let it goooooo!" or she would busy herself around the kitchen, running and jumping and singing, "When will my life beginnnn?"

After the second pop song, first rap song, and third disney song, Tiffany arrived and joined her girlfriend, dragging ______ in and singing all of the English lyrics while making dramatic gestures.

After dinner and an afternoon of fun and laughter, the three laid down in Taeyeon's bed once again. The older two didn't want to pry, they were happy enough cheering ______ up, so they didn't say anything, letting the youngest girl start on her own.

"Unnies?"

"Mm?"

"How did you-I'm pretty sure-I think I-" ______ stammered.

"You think that you..." Tiffany gently prompted.

"I think...you were right....I like Irene," she whispered the last part.

Taeyeon hid her victorious grin as Tiffany encouraged ______ to talk more.

"And so? What are you going to do?"

"I-I don't know," she confessed. "I was thinking the other night....and what if Irene's straight? Or just doesn't like me? What if we ruin our friendship? What if...what if we do get together and I find out later that I only like boys, just like I just found out I like girls too? What if I hurt her? I can't even decide what my uality is...." ______ whimpered, hugging her knees to her chest on her side on the bed.

Tiffany hugged her. "Do you like her?"

"Y...es."

"Then does it matter what uality you are?"

"I guess not..."

"______....you don't love her because she's a girl and you're bi or lesbian, you love her for your own reasons and if she happens to be a girl, she's a girl and you love a girl. Even if you happen to like a boy in the future, that doesn't make your ability to like girls any less. You don't need to label yourself, ______."

"Loving Irene makes people call you lesbian, calling yourself straight won't make you like her less," Taeyeon quietly advised.

It slowly clicked in ______'s head. It wasn't exactly like they explained and she could tell they had a little trouble explaining it themselves, but it was more like a feeling, a feeling that told her she wouldn't leave Irene for the world, like a bit of love mixed with confidence and trust.

It was a weird feeling, a foreign feeling, but she definitely liked it.

"And as her sister, I think you should go for it," Taeyeon smiled encouragingly. ______ smiled, but her shy expression quickly faded.

"How? I can't break them apart...."

"Are you willing to wait?"

______ nodded. "There's no one else I could love more."

"I think you should get back to best friends first," Tiffany pressed. "Then you can wait indefinitely until Irene breaks it off with Bogum." If she does, they all thought, but no one voiced it, "Or you could just confess your feelings when you feel the time is right even if Bogum is with her. That way, you don't have to wait, she knows about your feelings and might like you back, and at the very least you get it off your chest."

______ nodded, then smiled at the older girls. They laid there in silence for a couple of minutes, thinking their own thoughts, staring at the ceiling.

"Thank you," ______ finally murmured, breaking the silence. She wasn't sleeping over, those were reserved for when she needed extra comfort at night.

"You're welcome," Tiffany said. Taeyeon kissed her forehead, and sent her off back home.

As ______ was about to leave, Irene came in. When they caught sight of each other, they both stopped and looked at each other silently, unmoving.

"Hi."

"Hi."

She looked beautiful, with her semiformal dress and her makeup on.

______ felt a little awkward, but bravely looked into Irene's eyes and quickly strode over to the other girl before she lost her courage, giving the girl she missed so much a tight hug that made her stumble back a few steps. She stood on her toes, feeling like she would push them both over but she didn't want to let go.

"I'm sorry," she whispered over Irene's shoulder.

"You're okay now?" Irene didn't ask what it was, not prying, only making sure she was okay.

______ nodded. "I'm sorry," she repeated. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry..."

"H-hey, it's alright...you know you can talk to me about it if you ever need to."

______ knew she couldn't so she didn't respond to that, instead breathing out a quiet "I missed you."

"I missed you too..."

She wanted to say to Irene, "You look beautiful" or "I love you," but she was too nervous and she knew it was too fast. Her heart was pounding from the hug alone and she held Irene tighter.

"______?"

______ breathed in Irene's sweet, clear scent before reluctantly letting go.

"I'd better get home now."

She could see the disappointment in Irene's eyes and her lips almost curved up into a smile, but she stopped herself.

However, she didn't stop herself from grinning happily when she said,

"I'll see you tomorrow."

Or when Irene replied,

"I'll talk to you soon."


A/N I hope you all like it and subscribe, comment, and upvote! Feedback is highly welcomed(and wanted), including criticism(I love constructive criticism). Feel free to or pm me on anything else you want to say, advice(to me or asking for advice), prompts(I'll try to write them), things you want to get off your chest to a random supportive stranger, whatever, I'm always available.