X X X X X X

A Story Of Love

X X X X X X

 

“Mark!” I called out. I’m pretty sure my voice is loud enough for him to hear it despite the noise here at the uni’s courtyard. “Hey!”

And he looked at me. I swear he looked at me. But then he looked away as if he didn’t see me. As if he just had a hallucination. Funny. Am I just a hallucination now?

What’s happening?

Did I do something wrong?

Nah. Maybe he was just in a rush. But what about the incident at the Club Poets? Maybe he was just shy. Maybe he doesn’t want me to see him doing those things. But I’m his friend, right? And we’re friends. Friends should not get shy around each other. They don’t get shy around each other.

Is he mad at me? For what reason? Last time I checked we’re doing fine. He even hugged me. He helped me find a place to live. Now he’s ignoring me?

When I got home, it’s already dark. Wow. What a long day. Or maybe it isn’t. Maybe it’s just for me? But why? For what reason? Why am I even feeling this way? I can’t believe myself. But I can’t believe him, either. If he’s mad at me, he should tell me! But what should I expect? That boy doesn’t even speak. But I’m not a mind reader. And for ’s sake I don’t think he should be acting the way he is.

I sent him a message.

what’s wrong? why are you ignoring me? let’s talk.

My phone beeped after few minutes.

nothing’s wrong, wendy.

right. because you wouldn’t be ignoring me… right?

right.

Right? Right?! That’s all? Well him.

if you have a problem, tell me. mark, please, don’t be like this. you’re better than that. and we’re better than this. RIGHT? let’s talk. i’ll meet you at Starbucks tomorrow. 1:00pm.

It’s already 2:00pm. And he’s not here. So I dialed his number. After a few rings, he finally answered.

“Where the are you?”

“I’m sorry.”

“What?”

“I…”

“You what?”

“Goodbye, Wendy.” And the line cut off.

Goodbye? Goodbye?! Goodbye his .

This is so petty. Are we having a petty fight? For no reason at all? I can’t believe it. Out of all the people I know, I never thought that I’d have a fight like this with him.

I feel sad. And angry. And disappointed. To myself… and mostly to him. If I did something wrong, he should just tell me. I’m not going to get offended. But he’s not even saying anything so now I’m offended. I can take criticisms really well. I can accept negative things about me. I know how to admit myself and I never am afraid of saying sorry. But he’s not telling me anything. And I’m not about to beg him to do that.

Wendy Son might be a sweet girl… but she’s also very stubborn.

fine. bye, then. if you really don’t want to tell me about it, i’m cool with it. if that’s what you want. and if you are really going to keep that up, just forget that we became friends.

“Can I sit?” I look up and saw Brian. Mark’s…. roommate. And friend. I guess.

“Y…yeah. Sure. Go ahead.”

“Thanks.” And he took the seat in front of me. “Why are you alone?”

“I was waiting for someone… but I guess he couldn’t come.”

“You ‘guess’ he couldn’t come.” There’s something in his voice that I can’t quite figure out. “Are you okay, Wendy? You look like you’re about to cry a while ago…”

“I do? And you still bothered me? Huh.”

“Yea, well, you look like you could use some friend?”

“You speak like you know something.”

He finished his cake first. He took his goddamn time before he said something.

“Because maybe I do.”

“You do?”

“Or maybe I don’t.” and he gave me a smile. “Chill out, Wendy. I’ll be your friend for the day.”

“Y…you’re ting me.”

“Do I look like I speak bull?”