I'll Be Here For You

A Story Of Love

I’ll Be Here For You

 

I went to sleep right after I finished showering. But then I woke up. Again. And to be quite honest I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep well without letting this out. I have to tell someone. So I will.

“Mark,” I called out from the outside of his room. “You still up?”

“Yeah.”

“Can I come in?”

“Wait a sec,” I heard the door unlock, “Why?” he’s half for goodness’ sake.

“Why are you not wearing a shirt?”

“I was going to sleep until you decided to interrupt.”

“Oh.” Right.

So I turn around and started walking away when he pulled me by my (his) shirt. “Don’t be dramatic,” he sighed, “What is it?”

I grinned happily and beat him in entering his room. I made myself comfortable in his bed. “I just really have to tell someone about this.”

He didn’t join me in his bed—okay that doesn’t sound right—instead he just stood there, looking at me. “Okay.”

“You said you will listen.”

“I will.”

“Make yourself comfortable! I don’t want to pour my heart out to you like you’re assessing me or something.”

“I’m not assessing you.”

“You so are!” he glared at me but then he sat beside me. He’s not on the bed, though. He’s there on the floor. “Okay so the thing is,” ugh, “Don’t sit there! You’re making me uncomfortable.”

“What? What do you want me to do, then?”

“Fine, whatever.” I took a deep breath, recited few mantras—okay, sorry, I don’t have mantras—and I’m off. “My roommate just accused me of stealing her boyfriend when we were just talking. And you that her parents’ own the building, right?”

“Hmm?”

“They kicked me out.”

“What?”

“That’s not even the funny part.” I said bitterly. “He tried to attack me, Mark.” I can feel my whole body shaking again. Anger is all I feel. “But my roommate came before he can do anything stupid again. But you know… this roommate of mine accused me of bull without even listening to what I have to say.”

He held my hand. Tight. So tight. And he looks mad. “Did you report it already?”

“I don’t even have a place to stay! I left my things at Irene’s and I need to find a new place but I feel too ed up, I decided to go out… party… forget for a while. And now I’m here.”

He let go of my hand, pulled me up, and hugged me. I started crying.

“Nothing happened to you? Are you sure? We’re going to sue that guy.”

I hugged him back. And cried even harder. I don’t know why I tried bottling this up. I shook my head continuously and I guess he felt it so he my hair as if I’m so fragile. “I-I’m okay. Nothing happened. But I’m homeless at the moment.”

“Tomorrow you’ll have a place to stay.”

“What? Where?” I’m even sniffing like it’s the end of the world. Maybe it’s the end of the world for me. When you’re kicked out by the owners of the building and got on when you’re so innocent, I guess it’s really the end of the world. No wonder I feel like .

“I know someone.”

“Who?”

“Just… a friend who can help you.” Can I just hug him like this? I don’t even know why I feel so safe around him. “But… we are going to report what happened, okay?”

I shook my head, this time, for disapproval. “I don’t want to make this big. I’m fine. Nothing happened. I s-swear.”

“Right. You swear. But we have to report it.”

“I really d-don’t want t-too. Aside from me being h-homeless, I’m fine.”

“Right. Because you wouldn’t be crying like this if you’re ‘fine’.”

“I’m just letting everything out. After this I’ll be fine.”

“Resilience?”

“Yeah.” I grinned. Wow. How can I cry and grin at the same time. “I know your vocab.”

“Shut up.” He said. Resigned. “But the moment it happens again, I will sue.”

“Just stay by my side.” I know he’s crazy sometimes so I added, “Don’t make it too literal.”

“You wish.”

“But Wendy… are you sure about that?”

“Of course.”

“Right. Then I’ll be here for you.” And then he left me in his room. Though, before he did that, I’m pretty sure I heard him say “always”.