Kim Harin

Overprotective Brother

6:50 AM, I woke up to annoying voices. Reason one, Hanbyul is crying and whining because she has to go to school. Reason two, Hanbin and those stupid music beat.

I clicked my tongue and grabbed a pillow to cover my ears, trying to sleep but failed because my mom knocked my door, asking me go get ready, bring Hanbyul to go with Hanbin. I sighed. “When will I get enough sleep”, I mumbled. I kicked off my blanked, quickly grabbing a towel and rushed to the toilet as I heard someone singing in the hallway going to your room, Kim Hanbin. He opened the door without any knock as if it’s his own room or something. He hopped on my bed waiting for me to finish up my thing. Few minutes later, I’m all done with my business so I left my bathroom revealing Kim Hanbin sitting on my bed. I want to laugh but no- he look like a squirrel to be honest. “Why are you here.”, I asked with no interest. He rolled his eyes, “Listen young person, if you are still here acting like a princess Hanbyul will be late for school.” I mimicked him quietly, applying some make up on your face, perfume and blablabla. And I am done. I turned to Hanbin, “I. AM. DONE.” He nodded and stood up, “Okay, let’s go.” 

Hanbin and me went down to have the breakfast with mom and dad.  Hanbyul sniffled, “Unnie..”, she looked at me and hoped that I would help her because she doesn’t want to go to school. I ruffled her hair and bent down to her level, “Listen Hanbyul-ah, you have to go to school.. Unnie will bring you to the toyshop after school hm?” I wiped away her tears and smile. Hanbyul's sad face has brighten up. 

We finished our breakfast, cleaning up the plates. Hanbyul came to me, "Harin-ah, we have to go now." I nodded and grabbed my purse, kissing my parents said that I have to leave or else Hanbyul will be late for school. Hanbin started the engine, I sighed because I don't want to start a fight with this stupid brother of mine. Hanbyul played with her fingers in the passengers seat, "Harin unnie, do not break your promise okay?" I laughed, "Yesss, promise!". Me and my sister made a pinkie promise. Not too long, we arrived at Hanbyul's school. I ruffled her hair, "Hanbyul-ah, be a good student so Harin unnie will bring you to the toyshop okay?" Looking up, smiling at the teacher. Hanbyul smiled and nodded cutely. I bid a goodbye and went back into the car. I finally started a conversation, "Hey, are you mute or something? You are okay last twenty minutes.." Hanbin sighed, "I thought I was an air when Hanbyul was here." I rolled eyes and started to question him about this about that. "But where are we going?", you looked out the window. "Home. Because my friends are coming over to our house." I looked down, "Then bring me off to somewhere first. Maybe you can call me once they are all gone-". Hanbin looked straight into myr eyes, "Kim Harin, no matter what, you are my sister. I won't let people bully and look down on you.." He patted my shoulder.

I sobbed avioding his eye-contact. I want to stop the tears that are rolling but failed. It reminds me of thirteen years ago. Yes I'm adopted to his family. Mine and his family are were close. My dad cheated on my mom, so they divorced. My mom had a cancer but she kept it as a secret because she's a person who hate when people cares and worried about her. She decided to keep it to herself until two months before she's leaving to heaven. Hanbin is my best friend. Still a best friend and a brother to me. He is caring, overprotecting best friend brother. I was just five years old when my mom passed away. So Hanbin family decided to adopted me as their daughter with all of their hearts Or else I would be up being homeless or a person who work in the bar, who knows. And now I'm eighteen. Hanbin is two years older than I am. I didn't get to spend my time with my mother yet.. and my father too. But Kim family told me not to worry, just think that they are my real family. My real name was Kim Hyejin. But my mother changed it to Harin because too many dark past I have been through. Yes, this is my story.