Chapter 5

Beautiful Creature

Tired and sweaty, Seungcheol expecting a refreshing shower and a round of nap after the bycicle ride back from school. But much to his dislike, he got home to a certain mayor who were seated in his living room. Seungcheol walked to his mother who sat across the man. Scratch that nap could wait, he thought.

"You're home! How's your first day, honey?" She said with all the gentle smile as she motioned him to sat beside her.

"Unexpected." He said stressing on the word while his eyes never left the older male in front of him. Though the smile on the other's face was not wavering even a bit. 

"What do you mean by that? Do they being mean to you?" His mother said ever so oblivious.

"No, they are okay. I guess... but everyone seems to know my arrival. Surprised me a little." He averted his attention fully to his mother this time. 

"Well that's kinda normal since this town is not that big." Joshua dared to chimes in.

"And so i've heard." Seungcheol said flatly giving him a side glance. 

"That's great then! Have you eaten yet? I've made your favourite dishes. You should join us too Mr. Mayor." And of course his mother would offer him lunch, Seungcheol had to hold the urged to roll his eyes.

"I told you its Joshua. Its alright i'm just here to check and help around, Seohyun-ssi." 

"Please do join us, since you bother to come all the way here." 

"Don't force him, Ma. I bet Mr. Joshua are really busy, he's the mayor after all." 

"That's too bad."  

"Well... if you insist... i'm feeling a bit hungry actually." Joshua said sheepishly. Seungcheol almost groaned. 

They proceed to the dining area meanwhile his mother were busy heating up the food and all, the two man were left alone on the dining table. The older male were looking around the place while Seungcheol were thinking hard on how to shoo this person away and permanently. He despise this guy or maybe every male that hit on his mother.

"Very thoughtful of you to come all the way here." 

"Its my responsibility to check on the people in this town." More like to check on my mother, Seungcheol thought.

"Seems like you have plenty of time to visit each house then." He challenged the older.

"Well since you are new here and barely knew anyone, i'm here to help you adjust." Josua offer him a small smile again.

"I believe my mother and i could manage ourself just fine." He said firmly.

Their banter were silenced by the presence of his mother who came with a steaming bowl of stew. They ate rather peacefully despite the silent glare radiating from Seungcheol. The mayor stayed a little longer after luch before he excuse himself, much to Seungcheol's relief. He immediately went upstairs to have a quick shower and knocked himself down on the mattress in his room. 

 

 

°°°

 

 

Seungcheol woke up to chilly breeze from the open window that leads to the balcony. It was a little pass mignight. Shiver run down his spine as he never felt this cold before in the house. He walked to the big window half way closing it when he heard a distant melodic hum. Oddly enough despite it was being a mysterious sound in the middle of the night, Seungcheol were not feeling a tad bit scared. He walked to the balcony to searched on the source of the sound. It became silent after a while, but moments later the voice was heard again but clearer this time. The voice was gentle and light but has a deep edge in it. Its the kind of voice that could make you feel at ease. Seungcheol lean on the railing and even squint his eyes trying to see in the dimly lit surroundings. 

"Hello?" He dared to speak. The voice abruptly stopped.

"Anyone there?" He waited in silence. Suddenly a melodic chuckled was heard slowly getting distant. 

"W-wait!" Without thinking much Seungcheol jumped down the balcony after grabbing his coat. He knew his experience on jumping over fences of his old school would come in handy sometimes. He listen carefully to the voice and follow it through. Somehow he ended up standing before the outline of the woods. He hesitates at first but his curiosity win the best of him again.

"Hello?" He tried again when he slowly walked down the woods.

"I-i'm Choi Seungcheol, i recently moved to the house just across from here." He immediately felt dumb to introduced himself to practically no one particular. 

"Anyone there?" He waited again for any respons. The chilly breeze once again swept over him. Seungcheol clasped his coat tighter to his body as he once again shivered. Receiving nothing at all, he turned around about to head back when he heard the rustle of leaves and twig being stepped on from behind him. He stopped on his track trying to listen carefully, the steps continued to approached and only stopped a few meters away from him. He took a deep breath and slowly turn around.

What he saw before him was a sight to behold. The figure were practically glowing with its fair skin and brown long locks. His lips were thin and small. He could tell because their distance was somehow shortened and the figure was right in front of him. Face tilted to the side as if examining him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Jeonghan." 

 

"I'm Jeonghan." 

 

 

 

 

Late in the night