Recession

When In Albania (Descendants Of The Sun)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Part 2: Recession 

                                                                                                                                                                                           

Auspiciously, a week passed with no torture, and both soldiers took this opportunity to recover and get down to brass tacks. They kept themselves busy finding their way out of their current situation, relying their faith entirely on the few things they had discovered during the past week: a roll of used barbed wires, television lights (which gave them the notion of radio signals in their location), and a walkie-talkie nicely hidden on one of Si Jin's pockets.

 

 

Despite having key objects in possession, they both agreed that this still wasn't enough to help them abscond. Despite spending a week, they were still starting from scratch, and their escape plan still did entail a lot of planning and observation. Dae Young would observe the happenings outside the small window, while Si Jin would observe an enemy soldier or two as they would pass by; he can actually understand a few cursing words that they would occasionally mutter in front of their cell in native tongue. 

 

Once the soldiers were out of sight, Si Jin and Dae Young would go back to their conversations. “I just thought of something,”

 

Si Jin looked towards his second-in-command, “What is it?”

 

“When we were captured…” Dae Young recalled the events that had taken place when they were captured by the enemy militia.

 

The commander says we won’t kill them.

 

Is that man a goner?

 

If you don’t follow, you’ll blow up in pieces!

 

“English?” Si Jin guessed.

 

“How did you know that was what I was going to point out?”

 

“I thought of the same thing way back. That’s how I knew they did intend us to be here,”

 

“And when I was sent to the torture room, one mentioned he knew Captain Argus—“

 

“What?” It came out from Si Jin louder than a whisper, surprise evident in his eyes. “Do you recognize any of them? Were they ex-military?”

 

“None of them were familiar,” Dae Young shook his head, “But I’ve studied some of them.”

 

“Ah, yes.” Si Jin nodded, “That big guy who kept lurking around our cell, I think he’s the gun expert.”

 

As what Dae Young had observed, Si Jin was also able to identify the soldier who was the best in handling guns, and moreover he was able to confirm the sole keeper of keys among the group of men. Having Yoo Si Jin around, despite being incapacitated at the moment, was always an advantage because he was very keen with detail.

 

Checking one more time if they were finally alone in the long hall of prison cells, Dae Young clung onto the iron bars again and checked on what was outside the window, while Si Jin sat and leaned on the same corner he'd been leaning onto ever since they got there because of his injury. "Any movement there, sergeant?" 

 

 

"Animida," he replied, seeing nothing but a hot, windy deserted place, "Nothing's here. It’s approximately noon. Have you received any calls on the radio, captain?" 

 

 

Si Jin lifted the walkie-talkie, and shook his head in reply. "I've tried contacting somebody for a week now, but nobody answers," 

 

“Don’t you get any interference with the enemy radio?” Dae Young asked, finally finished checking on the window and walked to Si Jin’s side to check on the walkie-talkie.

 

Si Jin blinked. I never thought of that. “I did not try changing the channel, but now I have you to thank for reminding,”

 

Hearing a clank on the left side of the aisle, Si Jin quickly hid the radio behind him while Dae Young got down and sat immediately on his corner before the men arrived at their place. There were three of them who went to their cell this time. One—who was the gun expert—was left outside aiming a gun to Seo Dae Young while two among them went inside to cuff Si Jin's hands and then dragged him outside immediately, leaving Dae Young behind. 

 

 

While the locks were being fastened once more, Si Jin darted at his comrade and quickly directed his eyes on the corner where he last sat. Dae Young, quick and responsive as he always was, looked towards the corner and saw the captain's radio resting on the concrete. In a flash, he moved towards that side to cover their only means of communication for help, as the men, including Si Jin, walked away. 

 

 

This time, Si Jin was going to make himself remember every detail of every aisle they passed by. Occasionally, as they walked past walls and empty cells, Si Jin would search for important details: every door, every window and even every gesture the men who dragged him along would make. He had to filter and absorb all the necessary things to consider. He had to remember how he was being transferred from one place to another because if they do plan to bust themselves out of this place, he and Dae Young would need every detail possible to perform things flawlessly.

 

 

Turn right on the second corner… Yoo Si Jin familiarized himself with the place as they trudged along the aisle.

 

…then a left on the first corner…

 

It turned out it only took them a few turns to arrive at the torture room, skipping two empty prison cells and one room—the one which illumined the faint light from the television many nights ago. 

 

 

As soon as he was pushed in the room, His eyes shifted everywhere as he studied the whole place again: a water tank, handcuffs, chairs, ropes, chains, metal bars—the usual tormenting atmosphere that lurked inside the room made his stomach lurch. Later on, a voice bellowed, moving in closer to where he stood.

 

"I believe you're the captain," a man revealed himself, "Permit me to comment on your team member a week ago. He was very disrespectful," 

 

 

Si Jin didn't flinch, instead he darted his eyes furiously towards the man. 

 

 

"I hope he didn't learn that from his captain. Anyway, let me introduce myself," He said with a sly tone in his voice, "I'm Konstantin, the proud leader of this militia," Konstantin was a tall foreign-looking man wearing layers of dark-toned cloaks and sleeves. His body was well-built and his face was stern, with his brows and beard as thick as his accent, "It's a pleasure to meet the captain of the Korean army, even though it brings me disappointment that you have trespassed on our business," 

 

 

"Your business has become our business," Si Jin replied in a way Konstantin and the rest of the men circling both of them would understand, "You can never say we were trespassing," 

 

 

"No, no, we aren't held by the law. I would still prefer to think of you joining in the fun without our invitation. Now, there are only a few things I require of you, Captain." Konstanstin's voice was like that of steel and acid; sly, firm, poisonous, and was getting deep in Si Jin's nerves, "No bloodshed. No killings. You just tell us where the hostages and the military base is, then you and the disrespectful sergeant may freely leave," 

 

 

Unbelievable. That bargain made Si Jin chuckle in disbelief, "What kind of bargain is that?" 

 

 

"A peaceful one, I can assure you," 

 

 

He huffed at its ridiculousness, "And you think I would trust men who attempted to kill me and my comrade? Someone who'd fire a bullet on my body? Someone who'd blow up a vehicle?" Si Jin was furious as he would recall the near-death scene he had encountered earlier, "You can never expect me to say anything," 

 

 

A look of astonishment was i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter