Slowly

Strings

Feelings take time to develop, it may take seconds to fell in love, or it could take forever.

 

After a long and dreadful day in school, Heehyun was walking back home by herself. The same old journey but to her it seemed endless and tiring. Kicking away the tiny stones that blocked her path was always her favorite thing to do. “Ouch, you stupid rock.” She almost cursed while rubbing her knee to ease the pain. Suddenly, giggles can be heard from behind. Heehyun turned her back and searched for the culprit frantically.

 

“You’re funny.” Chaeyeon appeared behind the old abandoned car slowly, making clumsy steps. “Why are you following me?” Heehyun was surprised at her sudden appearance. “I’m going home. Nobody’s following you.” Chaeyeon replied innocently. The pretty girl standing in front of Heehyun did not stop her heart from beating faster and faster.

 

“I didn’t know we are staying in the same neighbourhood.” Heehyun certainly did not remember about bumping into Chaeyeon on her way home from school normally. “Ah that..normally Jaehyun fetches me home so yeah you know. But I’ve seen you somewhere walking around the streets.” Chaeyeon answered with her oh so gentle voice which made Heehyun wanted to hear her talk more. “Oh so you broke up with that guy. I see”. She later knew that the guy cheated on Chaeyeon so they kind of broke up in very bad terms.

 

“It’s okay. We can go home together from now on. We get to work out our legs and its way better than going to the gym where you only get weird stares from erts.” That comment earned a playful laugh from Chaeyeon. “You are really funny do you know that? I think I kinda like you.” Chaeyeon gasped at her remark but still managed to flash a smile to Heehyun.

 

After bidding goodbyes to each other, Heehyun reminded herself to walk Chaeyeon home every day. She’s never been that excited about that before.

 

xxxxxxxxxxx

 

It was just another night in one of those lazy summer days. Doyeon changed into her pajamas getting ready for bed. She lied on her queen size bed, staring into the ceiling. She loved doing that because when she was a kid, her parents placed those cute little glow in the dark stars on the ceiling. Because she was afraid of sleeping alone and the overwhelming darkness. She loved watching the stars every night before she fell asleep. It calmed her. Always.

 

When she was focusing on counting the stars on the ceiling, she heard a scratch at her window. She sat up almost instantly, grabbing on her pillow as her heartbeat increases rapidly. Fear was clouding her mind but she braved her guts and approached the window, taking cautious steps. ‘Could it be an intruder? Or maybe it’s just the branches?’ Millions of thoughts bothered her mind.

 

Doyeon squinted her eyes to get a better look of what was happening outside the window. A rock was thrown onto her window suddenly and Doyeon knew someone was out there. But who? At this hour? She opened her window and was greeted with a small girl with the biggest grin ever.

 

“What are doing here, Yoojung? Shouldn’t you be sleeping already?” Doyeon questioned her best friend. “I couldn’t sleep. And I want to see you.” Doyeon certainly did not expect that answer from Yoojung but she was still glad to see her. The girls climbed on the bed and cuddled in each other’s arms.

 

“We used to do this a lot when we were kids. I missed that. I missed cuddling with you.” Yoojung spoke calmly. Doyeon smiled while resting her chin on Yoojung’s head. “You know, you can always come over. I’m sure mom wouldn’t mind.” “But..but do you mind?” Yoojung asked her without looking at her best friend because she’s too afraid to see her reaction.

 

“I’m sorry about last time. I didn’t mean to say that to you. I want you to know you are always welcomed to my house.” Doyeon replied in an apologetic tone. She felt the tiny nod from Yoojung in her tight embrace. The two of them enjoyed each other’s presence. They enjoyed the silence. They don’t have to talk much because they understand each other by heart.

 

 “Out of curiosity, what was your birthday wish?” Yoojung turned her body to face Doyeon. She couldn’t see her properly in the dark, but she knew she’s always there for her. “You are always curious about me, don’t you?” Yoojung slapped her arm playfully, secretly agreeing to what Doyeon had said.

 

“I wished we could stay like this forever. We will stick together until we became old. Oh I wished Najeong was real. They are my biggest ship haha.” Doyeon laughed at her own statement. “I liked to see them together too. Just like both of us.” Yoojung blushed madly but she was so sure that Doyeon couldn’t see it. Doyeon hugged Yoojung closer to her chest and placed a kiss on her crown. “Me too.”

 

 

xxxxxxxxxxx

 

Girls. They couldn’t avoid having this problem every single month. Cravings, intense screaming and groaning in pain are unavoidable. So does, God Sejeong. But Sejeong knew Nayoung will be there for her, they will go through this together. No, we are not talking about the whole pregnancy thing now.

 

It was 10pm, Nayoung couldn’t help but sighed when she picked up a call from Sejeong knowing it’s the time of the month for her. Again. She walked towards Sejeong’s house, wishing that she was back in her room dozing off sleepily. Yet, she still did it for Sejeong anyways, because she knew the girl needed her.

 

Nayoung bought warm soup for her thinking it would make her felt better. “Feeling any better now?” Nayoung asked. Sejeong could only nod with the warm feeling over her tummy and her heart. “You’re the best. You know that right?” Nayoung nodded with a smile. “Cuddle with me please?”

 

Nayoung could only obey her goddess’s request just because she couldn’t say no to the one and only God Sejeong. “You know what, you are extremely touchy at times like this” Nayoung mumbled while covering both of their bodies under the warm, comfy blanket.

 

“I thought you liked it that way. Don’t you?” Sejeong teased. Red leaked into Nayoung’s cheeks as she nervously smiled and bit her lip. What are we now? The question bothered Nayoung as she couldn’t find the accurate answer for that. Are they a couple? No, not really unless Sejeong agreed to it.

 

Nayoung never have the guts to confess to her, worrying that they can’t even be friends after that. She worried a lot. A little too much sometimes. She worried about adding to much rice to Sejeong’s lunch tray because the girl was on a diet but she didn’t want her to starve herself. Sometimes, she felt that Sejeong was too perfect for her, that she doesn’t deserve her at all. But whenever Sejeong looked into her eyes, Nayoung knew she wanted to stick with her forever.

 

xxxxxxxxxxx

 

It’s been few days ever since Somi last seen her crush, Soyeon. “Where could she be?” Somi rested her heavy head on the table, totally unaware of what was happening around her. Mina skipped to Somi’s direction and slapped her shoulder multiple times. Hard and fast. That managed to grab Somi’s attention as she stood up immediately, screaming because of the pain on her shoulders. “Are you crazy, you stupid kid!” Somi was really mad. “Excuse me, you are the crazy one here. Stop daydreaming in class.” Mina stuck her tongue out at Somi.

 

 Somi was taken aback by Mina’s reaction but almost gone mad when another slap was made on her back. “Stop doing that!” Somi glared furiously at the culprit. “Woah kid, calm down. I’m here to tell you something.” Yeonjung held her arms in the air. “And so, I solved all your problems. Almost, but at least you have something to go for. The reason Soyeon is absent for days is because she is sick. I overheard Miss Kahi told Miss Jea that she had a chicken pox or something.” Yeonjung smiled proudly as she had done a good job investigating for the sake of her love sick friend.

 

“Sick? Is she okay now? What should I do?” Somi looked like a lost puppy. “And this is why you need me the most, Somi-yah. You owe me this time.” Yeonjung replied while flashing a piece of paper with Soyeon’s address on it. Somi grabbed the paper from her excitedly. “Oh my gosh, you are the best!! Thank you so much. I will fulfill everything you want for one whole week. Promise!” Somi ran off with joy while giving random high fives to people who passed by. ‘One week sounds good to me’ Yeonjung smiled.

 

“This must be her house.” Somi said to herself. Mrs Park welcomed her warmly and led her into her daughter’s room. Somi opened the door nervously as this was her first time being here. Being in her crush’s house. “Hi, Soyeon. I heard you are sick so I came to visit. Oh, and I got you some aloe vera gel. It helps to ease the itch” She moved slowly towards the figure on the bed but the girl was hiding herself underneath the blankets.

 

 “Erm.. Soyeon. Hello?” Somi waved at the girl but she knew it was useless. Thoughts ran on her mind, thinking that coming here might be the worst choice ever. Soyeon pointed at the table and told her that she can put the gel on her table. At the same time, Somi managed to notice the scars on her arms.

 

“Make sure you really use it, it really helps. Sorry for coming to visit without telling you, I was just worried. So, I’ll leave now sorry for bothering you again.” Somi bowed a few times but stopped doing it after realizing she couldn’t see it anyway.

 

“Wait, don’t go!” Soyeon almost shouted when she lifted the blanket off her face but quickly covered it back. “Hey, you don’t have to hide. It’s okay.” Somi reassured her. “I looked ugly and scary. I don’t want you to see that.” The girl under the blanket almost whispered. “No, don’t say that to yourself. It’s okay. Just let me see you.” Somi lifted the blanket carefully and smiled when she saw the girl’s face. “See, you look just fine.” Smiles were carved on the girls’ faces.

 

Every day after school, Somi would stopped by at Soyeon’s house. Her excuse was to bring her homework but her friends knew her real intention anyways. “I missed school. I missed the rap battle the other day.” Soyeon was getting better day by day as her blisters were disappearing slowly. “Then you should get well soon then we can go school together.” Somi replied with a grin.

 

“I am getting better. I feel good right now. And Somi-yah, thanks for coming to see me every day. I really appreciate that. Is there anything I can do for you? Like, do you need anything?” Soyeon proposed sincerely. ‘Anything? Be my girlfriend then.’ Somi smiled like an idiot thinking about the possibilities. Soyeon waved her hands in front of Somi when she realized she was dreaming.

 

“It’s okay. That’s what friends are for hehe.” Somi showed her toothy grin. “Are you sure? Okay just tell me next time once you think about it. By the way, I’m curious about something. Are you sure you won’t get infected by me? I mean I don’t want you to get it because of me.”

 

“Oh about that, I got my shot when I was a kid. No worries haha.” Somi laughed. Soyeon felt thankful for Somi’s presence. She felt appreciated every time she was with her. She never felt like that before with anybody else. She thanked Somi for a million times but she knew it was not good enough.

 

“I know you hate me for saying thank you but thank you so much Somi-yah.” Somi felt a pair of soft lips on hers, kissing her slowly. She kissed her back, grabbing the end of her shirt nervously when her heart almost stopped working. Fireworks were all over her head just like the Fourth of July. The world seemed to stop for both of them until Soyeon unconsciously slipped her hand into Somi’s shirt.

 

The best feeling in the world is kissing someone for the first time when you really wanted to kiss them for a long time. Now she knew how butterflies in her stomach felt like. She felt it when she kissed her.

 

The next day in class, Somi was all giggles as she stared at her smartphone, which earned suspicious glares from her friends. Sohye gave the is-she-okay look to Yeonjung but the latter kinda knew what was going on. Mina couldn’t stand all the giggling and glaring for the whole morning so she walked to Somi’s seat and decided to ask her about it.

 

“Somi, you are acting really weird today. What happened to…. Huh? What is that on your neck? Oh no Somi, I think you are infected by Soyeon!” Mina screamed and ran for her life, not forgetting to grab Sohye’s arm. “Boy, I didn’t give you her address for you to get infected though.” Yeonjung covered her nose with her hands but sat next to her best friend anyways.

 

“No way, I’m pretty sure I am immune.” Yeonjung couldn’t believe her and took a look at her neck. She let out a hilarious laugh when she found out what happened exactly. “I guess Mina is too innocent to think that Soyeon gave you chicken pox instead of a hickey.”