Party

Strings

It was just another typical Monday morning at 101 High. Rrrriiiinnnggg. Within seconds, the students of 101 High rushed their way out of the classroom as it was their precious BREAK TIME. For most of them half an hour of break time was always not enough for lunch time, toilet breaks, gossiping with kids from the other class. Yet this certain girl wasted no time to meet up with her group of friends. Even though she’s the youngest among them, she was still able to get along with the rest. A very bright and friendly kid indeed.

 

“Guys, guys, I have some very good news!” Somi chanted loudly at the cafeteria. “What news?” Mina stared at her while stuffing as many food as she can in as if she had not eaten for months. “Your crush finally notices you??” Yeonjung smirked. Somi crossed her fingers and shook her head repeatedly. “Your parents got you a car for your birthday??” Doyeon’s eyes sparkled brightly wishing it was true but only met with disappointment when she saw Somi mouthed ‘nope’. “Just tell us already.”

 

The impatient Yoojung replied. “Okay okay! It’s finally the day I’ve been waiting for. My parents are leaving town for a week. Which means we can have the whole house by ourselves.” Somi cheered passionately. Silence overcame their lunch table. Slow, awkward claps can be heard from the new girl, Sohye while everybody took turns staring at her weirdly. “Why are you guys not excited about it? We can throw a sleepover party at my house with cute pajamas and lots of snacks!” Somi exclaimed.

 

“Snacks sounds good to me. I’m in.” the voice came from the ultimate shikshin, Mina who was always crazy about food. “Remember the last time when your parents were away, you almost set your house on fire,” Yeonjung reminded her. And the whole school knew about it thanks to the certain chatterbox Kang Mina. The group members silently nodded, secretly agreeing to what Yeonjung just said. “I promise it will not happen again and my dear Mina if you are telling the whole school about the party, I will not let you touch the snack bar.” Somi glared. Mina made her pinky promise with Somi happily.

 

“Yassssss, I can’t wait for Friday! And all of you are invited.” Somi skipped joyfully while Yeonjung tagged along. Let’s go invite the rest! Both of them rushed to the student council’s meeting room and attempted to search for their presidents. “There they are.” Somi pointed her fingers at Kim Nayoung and Kim Sejeong. Both of the Kims. Both possess great leadership qualities which made them qualify to be the presidents and vice for the student council team. The whole school respected them and acknowledged them as the best duo. Sherlock and Watson. Or maybe Barack Obama and Michelle Obama. Wait no they aren’t a thing. YET.  Sejeong insisted both of them are just best friends, best partners. Nothing more than that. But we all knew ‘just friends’ don’t look at each other like that. 

 

“Ohhhhh, Nayoung unnie you looked great today.” Somi complemented Nayoung. “Yes, Somi do you need anything from me?” Nayoung suspected Somi’s intention on complimenting her suddenly. “Yes, Somi and Yeonjung how can we help you.”Sejeong flashed her infamous eye smile that Nayoung always fell for. “Somi is throwing a sleepover party at her place this coming Friday and we hope both of you can make it.” “Sleepover party? But I remembered Mina told me about you being alone at home and a fire happened or something like that.” Nayoung wasn’t convinced to go. “And that is why we must go.” Nayoung looked at Sejeong with the are-you-serious face. “In case anything happens, we are there to help you kids. Plus I think it’s gonna be fun too!” Nayoung mentally face-palmed but still keeping her cool. “See that, Yeonjung I told you Sejeong unnie is the best! Okay see the two of you this Friday.” Somi dragged Yeonjung to the dance studio before lunch time ends.

 

“Yo, yo, yo to my favorite, coolest stone buddha, congratulations you are being invited to the one and only Jeon Somi’s sleepover party!” Im Nayoung was taken aback by the sudden intrusion in the dance studio by her teammates Somi and her friend that she dragged along forcefully. “Party? What party?” Jieqiong claimed excitedly, shaking her arms in the air. “Sorry guys, I’m busy that day. Maybe next time.” Nayoung replied with her straight face. “Don’t be such a party pooper, Nayoungie.” Jieqiong slapped her shoulder lightly. “Unnie, does that means you are coming?” Yeonjung was extremely excited with the number of people who will be attending the party. It’s gonna be lit. She thought. Jieqiong placed her finger on her lips and hummed. “I’m going if Nayoungie is going.” Somi placed a fist bump in the air. “I take it as yes then! Thanks a lot unnie. I’ll promise it’s going to be unforgettable.”  

 

 Nayoung still couldn’t process what just happened few minutes ago. She was invited to a party. Wait, no. She was forced to go for a freaking sleepover party. Sleepover party is for kids. And to Jeon Somi, the troublemaker’s house. Nayoung sighed as she saw Jieqiong was happy with it. As long as she’s happy. She thought.