Accident (Lee Jaehwan)

Dark Princes

 

 

 

 

 

The forest seems to be peaceful with the sound of crickets and birds echoing from another direction to another. They have the appearance of driftwood, twisting in patterns that remind of seaside waves; even the color of the moss is kelp-like. The whole place is like a labyrinth with every sprawling tree under seems like a watchful guardian, a silent sentinel of the groves.

Suddenly, the sound of something hitting can be hear from far. The sound of tree splashing can be hear, conclude that something running from on top of the trees. For a while, a black figure can be seen jumping from one tree to another. His movement is inhumanely fast and he manages to avoid any obstacles in front of him despite his speed.

He stops at one point and look at sky. The dark cloud cover the sky and he smile at it. It is daylight right now but it seems there will be heavy rain. A very nice weather for him to go out right now. But, it’s not like he going out like this for his pleasure. He wants to buy a new smartphone since the old one has been damaged when he was attacked by a wild bear a few days ago with another member.

Eventhough they have a huge fortune that beyond human imagination, but he still feel guilt for using some of it for another petty thing, but he still need phone to call them.  

He jump and jump until he sees the road in front of him. He looks at the road and make sure there are no any human passing here for him to come down. He finally jumps down from the tree and walk like any normal people do. He sees a bus stop in front of him with few people waiting for bus to pick them up. He feels that this is the best way. He is not crazy enough to let himself shows his sheer physical ability in front of this people. He stands there for a few minutes until the bus reach them. He went inside and sits at the empty seats. All he has to do now is waiting.

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

The bus finally reaches at the destination but the rain is pouring heavily. He doesn’t bring any umbrella but he doesn’t mind of getting wet a little bit.

The moment he come out, he run to the store and went inside. He can see a lot of type of umbrellas that sells here and he decide to choose the one that suits him. He grabs the black-colored one and opens it. He seems satisfied with it and went to the counter.

He put the umbrella on the desk and he is going to pay for it. While waiting for it, he can feel someone is staring at him. When he looks at his side, he can see another female employee look at him strangely.

“What’s wrong? Is there something on my face?”

The employee blinks her eyes, realize what she did, “No. It’s j…just…nothing. I’m sorry.”

Then, he looks back at the counter and gives the worker his money.

The moment when he went out, the worker ask her friend, “What happen? Did you stare at him just now?”

“What? No. It just…he must be so cold now.”

“Huh? Why?”

“Don’t you notice it? His face look so pale like…I don’t know, he looks unusually pale. So, I thought he must be very cold because the weather outside.”

The worker thought about it, “Now, you mention it. I think that must be the reason.”

“You do? How?”

“Well, when I tried to take his money, my finger accidently touched his skin. It is surprisingly so cold. Like he was made of ice.”

Her friends’ jaw about to drop. “Gosh, you are not making this up, right?”

“No, seriously. I’m not making this up.”

Then, she looks at the door. “Call me crazy but I think he is freakingly handsome.”

“Jeez, you don’t even know him. Just do your work.” The worker and her friend continue their work as usual.

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

He went out from the shop with white plastic bag in his hand. He is feeling happy right now. He is not only able to buy a new phone but he gets the latest product which is come out just 2 days ago. He couldn’t wait to use it after he reach at home.

He is feeling too happy that he crossing the road without even bothers the traffic light. The moment when he is at the middle of the road, he can hear a honking sound from his side. He moves his umbrella a bit and to his surprise, a huge truck is about 10 meter from him is speedily approaches him. He will get crush for sure.

Instantly, he quickly grab both of the plastic bag and umbrella with his left hand. His eyes start to change from dark brown to crimson red. He lifts up his right hand to the truck in front of him. Suddenly, there’s some kind of force that stop the truck from moving. The tires let out screech sound and moving slowly until his hand touch the bumper. The truck is fully stopped moving by him, mentally.

Then, he looks around him and sees people are too busy looking at the truck. He takes his chance and jump to the roof.

The driver gets out from his truck. A few people surrounding him, asking if he is alright.

“No, no. I’m okay. I’m okay. What about the guy that got hit just now?”

“Guy? What guy?”

“The guy that crossing this road just now.”

“Sir, I think you’ve mistaken. There’s no one here except you.”

The driver looks surprise. “No way. He was here just now.” He points out to the front of his truck. He looks so shock when he look there’s no one in front of his truck. That’s odd. He checks his truck. There’s no any damage or blood anywhere. It’s like the person is vanished through thin air.

The passer-by who saw him quickly gave him his umbrella to make sure he doesn’t get wet. “Sir. There’s no one here. I think you just saw something.”

The driver look confuses. He really saw the person just now or it is just his imagination.

The figure stands on top of the roof looking at scene. He is very lucky that no one saw him. Otherwise, it will be huge trouble for him and his friends. It looks like he has to forget his intention to take public transportation here. Well, looks like I have to use my own way to go home.

He jumps to another building, holding his phone and umbrella tightly.

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

“I’m home!”

Hakyeon sitting on the sofa, watching television. He looks at the door and sees someone come in.

“Oh, Jaehwan-ah. You got your new phone?”

“Not just a phone. It is the latest smartphone that just came out few days ago.” He proudly shows his plastic bag contain smartphone box inside.

“Really?”

Hakyeon take the plastic bag and take a look inside.

“My, this is quite expensive. I hope you don’t wreck this one again.”

“Of course I wouldn’t do that. This is my precious ‘treasure’.”

Hakyeon look at him, notice that his clothes are quite wet.

“What happen to you? You have an umbrella but you look like you just finish played in the rain.”

“Oh. Just a small accident.”

Hakyeon’s face starts to fidget. “Accident?”

“I almost got hit by freak truck but luckily I manage to stop it before it hit me.”

Hakyeon’s eyes almost to pop out. “Wait. It means that you use your power to stop it?”

“Uh…yeah…”

“Did anybody saw you?”

“No. It was heavy rain that time. They don’t see me much. They more worried about that truck driver than me.”

Hakyeon let out his sigh. He feels a little bit of relieved but still his heart about to come out.

“Jaehwan-ah, you should be careful. If they saw you that time, it will reveal our existence. Just because we living among them doesn’t mean you can comfortably shows your true self to them. It would be better if you went out during night rather than during daylight like this eventhough the weather is pleasant for you to go outside.”

Jaehwan low down his head. He can feel the seriousness in Hakyeon’s voice.

“Sorry, hyung.”

Then, he can feel his hand on his shoulder. He looks up and sees Hakyeon smile at him.

“However, I’m relieved that you saved.”

Jaehwan let out his smile, seeing Hakyeon is not about to scold him. It’s true that Hakyeon is angry that Jaehwan reveal his power indirectly to normal humans but his safety is the main priority. If he doesn’t use it, he will end up get injured or something.

“Next time, don’t do that again.” Hakyeon gave him his phone back to him.

Jaehwan nod his head.

He take his phone and went inside to his room.