Chapter 2. New Heir

The Once and Future Kingdom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s been two days since my brother has left to check the boarders and bring our people to safety. I’ve been roaming around these empty halls and listening in on what I can find out and there has been no news. I’ve been venturing more outside on my balcony more, trying to get fresh air.

Standing out on my balcony, I can see very far. We don’t have a large castle but it’s high enough for me to look out. My chamber is more towards the front of the castle too. As I’m standing out, I see three men riding on horseback to our castle, they’re almost like ants. They don’t look like our men however.

I rush out of my chambers, running through the long wide halls covered in royal blue. I finally make it towards the court yard on the second floor. I’m slightly hidden but I can see quite well. 3 men are in the front of our gates on their black stallions. I can’t tell who they are but they do not belong to us. My father’s most trusted advisor and lead commander have made it to the court yard too.

“Tell your incompetent King that his heir is gone.” Says an aged man clothed in black fur, with long straggly hair that has slightly graying stripes in it.

“Watch your tongue, what do you mean the heir is gone??”

I watch with anticipation, the only heir he could be talking about is me or my brother and I’m right here… He pulls out a head from behind him and it is my dear brother. I nearly collapse onto the cold granite with blurred vision when he throws Lucas’s head onto the ground in front of our gates.

Silence filled the autumn air, and all I could do was choke on my sobs, I couldn't breathe.

“Beware. Your people are suffering the same fate as we speak. Before your ‘beloved’ heir died, he claimed your king wants war. And war you shall get. Have a nice day.” The disgusting man said as he smirked and road off with his other men who also had smirks plastered on their wrinkled faces.

I can’t see past my tears. All I hear is my fathers advisor say “Bury what’s left of the body.”

I try to get up but I have lost all feeling in my body. One of my handmaidens come running to my side.

“Miss, you have to get up, quickly. Come inside!”

Soon one of my guards comes and picks me up and carries me through these once again, lonely halls and brings me to my room. I cry myself to sleep until I fall into a dreamless land.

______________________________________________________________________


Slowly waking, I realize I’m being shaken awake, almost frantically. Visions of what has occurred earlier make me wish I was dead. I open my eyes to see my fathers advisor and my handmaiden behind him.

“Lexa, get up, you have to come with me. Your father seeks your presence immediately.”

We are quickly making our way to his quarters. This is the first time in a long time he has summoned me. Without knocking, the advisor swings the doors open and I slowly walk in, for I know not of what will happen when I see the man who has now lost not only one, but two of his most beloved. Now he is left with his least favorite.

As I enter, my father is standing, his back facing me as he looks at a painted portrait done of our family.

“You called for me father.”

“You are the new heir to this kingdom, or at least what’s left of it.” He says with such harshness in his voice.

“But I’m only 18, I can’t. That place was for L-“

“You will do as I say. We are going to war at dawn. I will be fighting cause we need all the men we can g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter