Chapter 1. The Beginning

The Once and Future Kingdom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I look out my small window to see the dark, cloudy, lifeless, land that I call home. When I was a little bit younger, this place was full of life. Vibrant with colors, green and blue blankets covering the plains. The time when my father was happy and not blood thirsty. The time when we were an honest and just Kingdom. That time has come and gone in my 18 years of living.

You see, the story and myths of “werewolves” were at a time, just stories and myths. That is until they were tired of hiding their true identities. I mean, stories have to originate somewhere right? At first there were only small cases of these “wolves” actually showing themselves. It scared other villages and kingdoms so much, they would be executed on the spot. After a while their people got tired of their own being killed and took matters into their own hands. More wolves started showing themselves and taking over.

Soon there were wolf Kings and Queens. Changing anytime they wanted, feeding whenever they wanted, and taking whatever they wanted. I have never come across a wolf before but from what I’ve heard, you never want to unless you’re one of them. There has been a few cases of them in our Kingdom but they were killed before I ever got a chance to see them transform. After that happening, my father went a little crazy. My father is the King. King of Volkania.

In the beginning it was nearly impossible to tell if someone was a wolf unless they told you or transformed into one. That’s what eventually drove my father into insanity. Innocent people died, villages were slaughtered. Kingdoms against Kingdoms. All because we didn’t know and my father was not going to take that risk, soon other Kings started killing their own. Eventually, information about these creatures finally came into light. There are very subtle ways to tell. For instance, if their ring finger is as long, or longer, than their middle finger, they are a werewolf. If they have a marking on their palm, they are a werewolf. If they get wet, they have a certain scent that becomes more prominent. However, I heard the scents vary from werewolf to werewolf.

However, that information came too late, by then, other people, my people, had been already resting in the ground. And our world was beyond repair. Since then, my father has kept me inside this castle. I can’t leave and no one unless authorized, can come in. I have an older brother, who is to be the next King. My father favors him more since he’s first born and a boy. My mother died long ago, she was a diseased woman. Ever since then, my fathers barely sees

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter