Chapter 5. The Start of a New World.

The Once and Future Kingdom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I could only sit there. Quietness filled the room, with only breathing to be heard. I just stared at Jaebum, now knowing his name. Him? Wolf King? Finally, I spoke.

“What do you mean you’re the Wolf King? If you’re the Wolf King, that would mean the Leader of the regime was your second in command? But he didn’t act like you were the Wolf King, he acted is if you were just one of his soldiers.”

“You see princess, what history has failed to teach you is that there was one Original family, the wolf royal family. Original blood. More wolves were brought up, gaining more into the species. Some blended with the people, some were added to the royal guard. Some of those guards wanted more power than they posses. Soon an uprising began, the guards and servants the Original family. My ancestors had to run and escape, leaving behind everything. Including the ancient book of records, which states who was the first crowned family. I’m sure the book is hidden very well, so the truth won’t get out that they’re “king” is a false one. But, centuries have past, blood being past down from generation to generation. I am the last of that Original bloodline.”

“I thought there were more than one royal wolf family though?” I say pondering to myself, taking in all this new information.

“That’s where you humans are flawed. You humans have no idea what we are, or what we do, or our history. Don’t act like you do.” He snapped with irritation in his voice.

“Jaebum, she doesn’t understand, you shouldn’t be so harsh.” Yugyeom was the one to speak this time.

“Lex, He’s just grumpy. If you have more questions, you may ask them, we will all try to answer as best we can since Jaebum isn’t in the best mood.” Jinyoung looked at me and gave me a small smile.


“Let me try to understand this. Your ancestors were the original wolf King and Queen, but it was taken by a guard?” I ask hesitantly, choosing my words carefully.

“Essentially, yes. The guard had gained a following, or so I heard. The story has been passed down in my family, and so has the original crest amulet.” Jaebum pulls out a necklace from under his dark blue puffy top. It gleamed silver and gold. A dagger going down with two wolves on each side of the hilt, howling. At the end and middle of the hilt were two rubies shining brightly. Below the middle ruby was a golden crown.

“Wow that’s beautiful” I remarked, awing at the ancient amulet.

“It is.” Jaebum looked down at it and the smallest of smiles appeared on his face, “If the story is right, the ancient book of records should have this crest on the very first page. Deeming the rightful family and King.”

“Did the guard stay King for a while? What exactly happened?”

“The guard became King and stayed King. He apparently married and had a royal family which have been passed down. His filthy blood has remained as Royal for as long as any wolf can remember.”

“How did you hide this from us humans? Just in the past years, your presence on this land has just been discovered.”

“In the beginning, we weren’t hidden. Humans knew who we were and we knew who they were. But, as always, someone got greedy. The humans specifically.” Jaebum took a sip of his water.

“What happened?” Getting more into this hidden story.

“One of your Kings had been ‘disrespected’ by one of the wolves. No one really knows what he did, but we all assume the King and the rest of the kingdom were feeling inferior to us wolves. He banished them. To live far away. Away from any kingdom, away from any breathing human. Which, is what we call the deadlands. The fake wolf king still ruled, generations and generations blooming a new king from his blood. But soon, some wolves got curious about the humans after a few centuries. Since we don’t have many restrictions on our own species, some of the packs decided to live amongst the humans. Blending in and living peacefully without anyone knowing.”

“Packs?”

“Oh yes, packs. You humans probably aren’t aware of this but we wolves have packs we all stick too. Of course we have a royal family, but we all have packs too, which are lead by Alphas. That’s probably where you humans got the idea that there were more than one royal family.” He tsked and then took a bite out of an apple.

“Oh. That makes sense.”

“Lex, would you like some water?” Jinyoung asked as he got up to get himself a cup.

“Yes please, thank you Jinyoung.” He sets the water in front of me, I gingerly take a sip, getting all my thoughts in order.

“So did the humans just forget about the wolves?” I set my cup down.

“We assume, after centuries, the people who knew, eventually died and the truth died with them. But of course the folklore and tales of werewolves still traveled through the lands.”

“Wow this is so much to take in.” I sit there looking at my hands, a little shocked to hear all this was happening and no one knew of their existence for a long period of time.

“Maybe w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter