How'd you know??

The Mark of the Galaxy

"Who are you?"  "...Are you..a mage?"

You looked at your hand. "What just happened?" you thought. You looked at your hand, you felt it: dry. "Am I seeing things again??" His question popped into your head.

"...Are you.. a mage?" You thought about it. "Am I..? Nah..doubt it."  Only about 500 mages were discovered in South Korea last year, there's no way..

"I..I don't-" You were interrupted by the announcement over the loud speaker:

"Passengers on Flight 544 going from Gimhae International Airport to Gimpo International Airport will start boarding in 3 minutes. Please don't forget to bring all your belongings and your ticket to the G17 door to the jetbridge."

To avoid awkward conversation, you grabbed your suitcase and backpack and walked to the forming line.

 

 

Once you got to your row, you put your backpack on your seat and a flight attendant helped you put your suitcase in the overhead compartment and you sat down in your seat: 31A, a window seat. You put your backpack down on the ground and ped one of your pockets to get your...

"Where's my phone??!? It should be in-"

 

"Looking for this?"

You looked up and saw Jihoon holding your phone and earphones in his hand.

"Oh my gosh." you let out a sigh of relief. "Thank you so much!"

 

You retrieved your phone and promised it that you'd never lose it ever again. You watched Jihoon look around for his row. He looked up and said "31D! Found it!" He put his backpack on his seat and tried to put his suitcase up when a flight attendant noticed him struggling and asked:

 

"Little boy, do you need help with that? Are you alone? Where are your parents??"

You choked in a laugh.

 

Jihoon just stared at the smiley flight attendant and said "I'm 20."

The flight attendant's expression changed into an embarrassed one. "I'm..so sorry." she blushed. She helped him put up his suitcase and quickly walked away. You watched Jihoon as he sat in his seat and slouched.

 

You couldn't hold it in anymore; You started giggling and it turned into laughter.

Jihoon shot you an annoyed look. "What's so funny??" he asked

You answered "You...little..boy..I..can't breathe." You tried to breathe.

Jihoon squinted and frowned. "What?? It's not my fault my parents are short. I'm probably taller than you. How tall are you?"

"162cm" you said as you calmed yourself down. "How about you?"

"164cm" he said "I'm taller than you."

"Dude, you're comparing yourself with a girl.."

"Shut up."

 

 

There was a pause. You chuckled as you thought of something to say.

"So where are your parents? Shouldn't they be here with you in case you get scared??" you teased.

"Speak for yourself." he retorted. "You're to going college and they aren't here with you. Where are they??"

 

You looked down at your lap and said "I don't...have any....anymore.."

His eyes became sad. "I'm so sorry.." He paused. "If..if  I can ask, how..how'd they pass...?"

You smiled a sad smile. "They were killed, shot. All of my family..except for my grandma and I.."

You looked at him with an unreadable look on your face. His sympathetic looking one was frozen. "I..I'm-"

 

 

"Excuse me, is this Row 31?"

You look and saw a mother holding her little son's hand.

"Yes it is." you smiled.

"Thank you!" the mother exclaimed. "Look! We found our seats!!" She said to her son. Her shyly son nodded. She picked him up and sat him in the seat next to yours, put up their luggage, and sat in the aisle seat.

 

You looked down at the boy. "Hi!" you said. "What's your name??"

He looked up at you and practically whispered "Kim Junseon."

You smiled and patted his head. "Nice to meet you Kim Junseon. I'm Min Haneul."

He let out a small smile as the plane started moving.

 

 

 

After the plane took off, you put in your earphones and started listening to music. After a while, a thought crossed her mind.

"...Are you..a mage?"

 

You thought about it. "Could I??You stretched out your hand tried to make something come out of your palm. Nothing. "I knew it.."

 

"Junseon-ah? What's wrong??" his mother asked. You saw Junseon shivering.

"I'm..cold." he chattered.

You reached into your backpack and pulled out a hoodie that you put in there just in case. "Here, you can use this!" You carefully put your hoodie over his head. "Better?" you asked. He nodded. "Thank you." his mother said. "He always get cold even when it's really hot outside."

You answered "No problem." and zipped up your backpack.

 

You pulled out your phone and searched "Mages in SK."

You tapped the link to the Wikipedia page and saw a picture of what seemed to be a fire mage: a guy had his hand outstretched in front of the camera and a small flame was hovering above his palm. You scrolled down and read:


Mages are considered the most rare type of people in the world. There are only about 500,000 mages inhabitating Earth each year. The two most populated mage countries in the world are the USA, with about 1,750 mages, and South Korea, with about 550 mages on their land. However, only about 400,000 of the total 500,000 can learn how to conjure at free will. Mages are considered the peacekeepers of their countries and can control one element out of Fire, Water, Air, Metal, Earth, Sun, Moon, Electricity, Light, Dark, Ice, Heat, or Cold.

Normal humans can not know who is a mage and who isn't. Mages, however, can find out if someone is a mage.

 

"What's that??"

You looked down at Junseon who was staring at your phone. "Oh this? It's about mages. You want to be a mage?"

The boy nodded. "They're really cool!!"

"They are!" you agreed.

Junseon's mother said to him "Junseon-ah, you need to get some rest."

He pouted but agreed, rested his head on his mother's arm, and went to sleep.

 

You smiled and looked back at your phone.

Mages, according to the East Asia Science Research Center (EASRC), start to gain powers at age 2. Their powers fully develop at around 4 years old but finally having the ability to conjure at will is something that not all mages figure out. Having a friend who is a mage can increase the likeliness of a mage gaining the training and ability to conjure whenever and/or where ever they like.

 

You put your phone down as music seeps in you again. "There's no way I could be a mage." You looked out the window and closed your eyes.

 

 

 

"Umm...excuse me.."

You were woken up by the voice of a flight attendant and Junseon tapping your shoulder. You looked at your watch; You'd been sleeping for half an hour. You turned back to the flight attendant.

"What would you like to drink?" she asked.

"Coffee." you bluntly answered. "But before that, I'd like to use the restroom." You excused yourself as you got up and maneuvered yourself into the aisle.

When you almost got back to your row, the plane swerved and you heard a scream: Junseon.

 

"AHHH!!!" Junseon screamed and started crying; People around you looked in your direction to see what was going on. You saw Jihoon wake up from the commotion.

You rushed to the scene and saw coffee spilled all over Junseon's hand and on your hoodie he was wearing. You quickly climbed over to your seat to find something to relieve his pain in your backpack.

"Oh my goodness, Junseon, are you okay???!!!" his mother yelled. She blew on the injury.

The flight attendant grabbed a chilled towelette to cool down his hand. You looked up.

"Mama, it hurts!!!" he sobbed. His mother quickly got up with the flight attendant to get their suitcase down that had a first aid kit in it. You eyed the ice water he was drinking and looked at the towelette draped over his burned palm.

"It still hurts!!" he yelled.

You grabbed the towelette on his hand, put it in the icy water, and wrung out the excess water. You did a silent prayer and wrapped the towelette around your own hand. You knew you were doing. You touched his hand with your own.

 

Immediately after your hand made contact with his, you felt ice crystals form around the damp cloth around your hand. When the ice reached Junseon's hand, it covered it in a thin, transparent layer and you could see his blistered, swollen start to heal. The redness went away and his hand shrunk back to normal size. He was still crying and you as the ice around his hand melted into water and was seeped into the towelette into your skin again. You let go of his hand and removed the towelette from your hand. It was..dry.

Junseon stopped crying when he realized his hand stopped hurting and looked at it. It was perfectly fine. There were no more burns on it. He looked at you; You didn't know what to say. You were sure you were just as confused as Junseon's mother and the flight attendant who were giving you a shocked but unreadable look.

 

"What happened-" Junseon's mother started but was cut of by the loud ding of the seatbelt on sign. She sighed and sat back down. The flight attendant's shocked expression disappeared from sight when she walked off to buckle in her seat but you knew the expression was plastered on her face.

 

You buckled up and put your backpack on your lap as the plane dipped lower and lower. You closed your eyes trying to calm your flustered brain. It didn't work. All you could think about was the scene you saw just now. You looked at your hands; They seemed normal. "Then what was that??!...Holy I am a mage." you exclaimed in your head. There was no way you were just seeing things. His hand was healed. That doesn't just happen. You finally understood what was going on.

 

You looked out the window to take your mind off of things; You could see the airport as you landed. You were in Seoul.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once the plane stopped, people started getting up and grabbing their stuff to get off the plane. Junseon's mother got up and she got their luggage, Junseon whispered "Thank you for healing me." with a smile, gave back your hoodie, and got up from his seat to get the small backpack he'd tucked underneath his seat. Once Junseon's mother got their suitcases down, she reached over to you and grasped both your hands saying "Thank you. Thank you so much for healing my son's hand. How can I repay you??" she asked.

You smiled "Just be happy." you said as she thanked you once again and left with her son behind her.

 

You slung your backpack over your shoulder as you waited for other passengers to pass you. You looked at your watch: 10:04am. You pulled out your phone and texted Seojun:


I'm in Seoul!!!^^

Not even a minute passed before he texted back.

"Great!! My boss is yelling at me because I came to work late again so text you later??<3"

You laughed at his text.

"Sure. Love ya!<<<3"

 

You looked up and saw Jihoon staring at you while he got his suitcase down. You walked into the aisle and also got your suitcase. You two were the only passengers still on the plane.

"What happened?" he asked. "I couldn't see anything from where I was sitting."

You bit your lip and tried your best to describe what had happened. Everything from you arriving at the scene to you realizing you were a mage.

 

Jihoon laughed a little after you were done.

"What?!" you questioned.

"It took you that long to notice?" Jihoon asked. "I already knew you were a mage the moment we shook hands."

"Really??!?" you exclaimed. "How..How'd you know??"

"Yep." he said as he walked toward the front and rolled his suitcase behind him.

 

You followed him out of the airplane. "How'd you know??" you asked again.

He stopped in the middle of the jetbridge.and turned "Are you stupid?" he asked. He held out his hand and a sphere of water appeared for a second and disappeared. He handed you a slip of paper with a phone number on it and said "I know 'cause I'm a water mage, idiot. Let's stay in touch." And with that, he walked off.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Author's Note:  Hi guys!!! Here's the second chapter of this story. It was a pain to write but I hope you don't mind the errors in this!!!

Woozi is introduced as water mage!! More will be revealed soon!!!

Hope you had fun reading it!!!

Tbh, idk when I'll be able to update again. But don't worry, it will be done!!!

Thank you for reading it!!! Don' t forget to subscribe to keep up with the updates!!!

안녕!

{032006|2077}