Mark?

The Mark of the Galaxy

After attending all your required core classes, you feel exhausted. You sigh in relief as you to quad in front of your dorm. There's blankets spread out on the quad with food trucks lining the sidewalks. The sight of tons of students are getting food and relaxing on the quad seemed reassuring for some reason. You didn't have many friends in your high school (the school wasn't big either) so you always felt lonely.

You walked around the quad trying to find Chanmi, who made you promise with her, when you felt something wrap around your waist and lift you in the air. Surprised, you looked down and saw a current of water carrying you towards it's output. "Put me down!" you yelled in your head.

You looked down at the ground, which was about 10 feet away from your feet, and saw all the students on the quad gaping you. You were pulled to the other side of the quad and set down in front of a familiar pink haired person.

 

"Chanmi. I brought her over here." he said.

Chanmi appeared out nowhere from somewhere behind Woozi and grinned. "Great!" she exclaimed and flashed a sly smile at you and said "How was the ride?"

"...I don't know..Why you guys had to do that though.." you commented.

"Don't look at me." Woozi defended. "It was her idea." he said as he pointed to Chanmi.

 

"Sorry man," Chanmi apologized. "I just wanted to have some fun. Anyway, you wanna eat with us??"

 

"Sure?" you reply. You walk a couple steps to find a huge blanket laid out with the group of guys sitting there. They're all laughing and talking and eating sandwiches and messing with each other. Chanmi runs over to them and yells "We're here!!!"

 

You notice Chanmi nudging Dino with her shoe to make him move. He did. And Chanmi invited you to sit in the free spot. Once you sat down, Chanmi handed you a sandwich.

"Thanks.." you say and you take a bite.

"It's good isn't it??" Chanmi asked. You nod. "Who made this?"

"Oh Joshua oppa did." she smiled. "That's a benefit of having an Earth mage in our little group. His food is the best."

 

"Oh thank you."

You turn around to see a guy with orange brownish hair crumbling his sandwich wrapper.

 

"Oh this is Joshua. His Korean name is Jisoo but he likes to be called his English name." Chanmi explained.

"You have an English name?" you ask him.

"Ya. I lived in America before moving here in high school." he explained.

"Ohhh."

 

The three of you had a long conversation about going to America to study abroad and how the population of mages there was no joke. By the end of the conversation, Vernon, who joined in the middle of the discussion, and Joshua convinced you to do the study abroad program with the rest of the group. They then introduced you to everyone in the group. By that time, there was only 10 minutes left before the next class started.

 

"Let's go!" Vernon said as he help Joshua and Hoshi fold up the blanket. You and Chanmi picked up the trash and threw it in the nearby trash can.  

 

Seungcheol or S.Coups started walking in the direction of the largest building on campus and everyone followed him. In fact, a lot of people around you started heading there too. "Is this class that big??" you ask yourself. You looked at your schedule: MT&CSP was your next class. You turned to Chanmi and asked

 


"Hey, what class is this?"

She looked at your phone screen and said "Oh. It's mage training. Normal students have the same class title, it stands for Medical Technology & Cancer Study Program for them. But for mages, it stands for Mage Training & Conjure Skills Preparation." she explained.

"Preparation? For what?" you wonder.

Chanmi sighed and said. "There have been conflicts between mages you see, not all mage relations are peaceful..it it's a complicated thing to explain. I don't even know if it's true, it's just a rumor for now."

 

 

The body of students reached the main building and stopped at the front door. The door opened and students started flooding in the room. The main building wasn't even a building; it looked like a giant gymnasium, hardly looking like a cancer research center. Students filed down the stairs on the "bleachers" and gathered on the main stadium floor. The floor was clear, you could see below it, 100 or so meters of emptiness below that would make people with the fear of heights scream for mama. The floor spread wider and longer than two football fields which was insanely huge. As the last of the students came in, the doors shut making it pitch black. You could hear things moving and Chanmi and some other light mages conjured some light orbs to see.

They didn't need to hold it that long because there was a countdown from five to one. You swore this happened a lot because once the '5' was announced, you saw all the dark mages cover their eyes and ducking their heads. Once the countdown got to '1', all the lights revealing a new look of the stadium; the floor you were standing on was now just a shiny wooden floor no big hole below it or anything.

You looked up and saw giant glass platform disks suspended in the air. You counted twelve of them. Above those were giant sky lights that poured in sunlight into the stadium. You looked around and felt someone poke you. You turned and saw Dino looking at you and pointing toward something. You strained your head to see what everyone was looking at and saw a rather skinny and composed woman on top of an incoming platform dressed in what seems to be a combat outfit: loose black pants with a strap around her upper thigh, a loose white muscle tank, and combat boots. Her straight black hair was tied in a ponytail keeping her bangs away from her face.

 

Once everyone got quiet, she stepped off the platform and descended onto one of the bleacher stands. The sky light was aimed directly at her so everyone's attention would be on her. She walked along the bleachers that surrounded the students and examined the crowd. Very so often, light would shine on the pendant she was wearing; you didn't notice it before. The pendant had a small gold chain with a cloudy quartz as an accessory. Each time the light would shine on it, the quartz would glow a little then dim again. As she pasted you, you felt wind blow against you and the people around you even though she was far away for you.

 

She walked around all of you and stopped at her original staring point. She started talking...without a microphone or anything but you could hear her loud and clear.

"Students!! Welcome to the first session of MT&CSP. I'm your teacher: Professor Hyeon-Jeong; Professor Hyeon is fine though. Today, because it is your first training session, we will only conduct a physical abilities check on every one of you. I expect all of you to be exceptionally good at conjuring because you made it to this school."

 

"Now enough with introductions, this abilities test will separate you students into 5 classes no matter your type. You will be ranked into one of these classes. From weakest to strongest, the classes are Jeune, Devenir, Judicieux, Vigoureux, and the Maitriser. In other words they are French for the unprepared, the growing, the knowledgable, the strong, and the masters of conjuring. Each class will have a rank 5 being the weakest, 1 being the strongest."

"These results may or may not be permanent but Class 1 and 2 have the privilege to go on missions and-"

 

The room was filled with mummurs and chattering. "Missions?" "What doesn't she mean by that?" "Sounds fun" "Are you kidding? That sounds scary no thanks."

 

Professor Hyeon coughed. "Eh anyway this test is to determine how strong you are compared to your fellow students. This test..." The professor snapped her fingers and all the lights turned back on. "...as you can see is going to test you on everything a mage needs to master."

 

Behind her were rows of machines and transparent walls as well as a bunch of different terrains and artificially simulated environments. There was on ocean, a desert, even a fire pit.

 

"Now" as the professor continued, "all or most of you should have a mark, a mark that symbolizes your awakening as a mage. That mark will lead you to a terrain, a speech generator mechanism, and then back to one of the closed of glass rooms with is for stimulated battle. Now, because this is your first day, this class will probably last the rest of the day. Don't worry, it happens every year, you will be excused from the rest of your afternoon classes for today."

 

"So..shall we get started?"

 



After the professor stopped talking, she raised her hand and a ray of light shone over all the students. You look around and everyone surrounding you look confused. Suddenly, their Marks start glowing and becoming brighter and brighter. Because their Marks were activated, they started to change into their Ignited forms. Everyone around you changed yet you didn't see or feel a difference.

 

"Wha-what's going on?" you ask.

Jihoon replies "She activated our Marks. That one teacher, she activated everyone's Marks. How powerful is she?"

 

Everyone starts to move toward the places their Marks lead them, some to the battle area, some to the terrains. Jihoon leads you to the ocean environment "You're a water mage right?" he asked. 

"Uh I.. I think so.. I don't know" you admit.

"Huh..okay let's go ask the professor and she'll be able to tell you what you are." he said as he started dragging you to the teacher. As he begun walking away from the fake ocean, he abruptly stopped. You turned to look at him and he sighed.

"I can't move away from the place my Mark want me to be so...I guess you could go by yourself." he sighed.

 

Seeing you had no other choice, you walked around by yourself trying to find the professor. You finally find her talking to Vernon and you rush over there.

 

"...like I said Woozi is a special case. He controls two abilities because he's strong. He was born that way. No one else should have that." the professor claimed.


"Yes but there's this girl that Woozi claims is a water mage but when we met, there was an exchange of energy between me and her. Something only lightning mages have. That definitely means something."

"Then maybe Jihoon is wrong and she's not a water mage."

"No Woozi is the strongest student at this school as we know of. There's no way we could've mistaken it." Vernon retorted.

 

 

"Uh...excused me." You interrupted. "I..I don't think You ignited my Mark..or maybe I don't have one? I'm not sure, I've never seen my Mark so I might be mistaken but even so, I don't know what type of mage I am and I don't even see a Mark on my body..can you help me?"

 

"Ahh so you're the mysterious girl Hansol's talking about. Hmm interesting. Well I have a question before anything..you are friends with Lee Jihoon right? And you are friends with the other 12 right? Do you feel any of them stands out more than the others?"

"Uh..no..why are you asking?" you reply, confused.

The professor sighed "I was afraid you'd say that. It's because when you see someone who is the same type of mage as yourself, you should feel more connection than to others. Now saying you don't and I can tell when people are lying.......It must mean you haven't ignited your Mark at all, not even once."

She shooed Vernon away and looked at you. "I'm going to ignite my Mark and illuminate your entire body. That's going to forcibly ignite your Mark and your body will also change into it's Ignited form. This can give me a rough idea what type of mage you are and then we can look from your Mark. Is that okay with you?"

"Okay" You agreed still a bit confused.

"Good" she said and yelled "Mark, Ignite!" She pointed her hand toward you and a ray of intense light shown over you. The light didn't seem to bother you much for some reason and you opened your eyes. You saw everyone staring in your direction wide-eyed and surprised. "Great everyone's watching me.." you thought. Suddenly, you felt your body transforming. You looked down and caught a glimpse of your hair. "Why the hell is it white?" You look at your clothes and they even start to change. "I thought it was only their physical features that change not their entire body?!" Your clothes now become a white cloak and you have white shoes and two thin white bracelets around your wrists. The light Professor Hyeon shone dimmed and you looked up at her. Her face looks surprised, you look around and every student is staring at you.

 

Professor Hyeon rushes to you and lifts your cloak. You look down and you have on a black combat looking outfit. The professor says "Excuse me!" and goes behind you and lifts your shirt.

"Hey!" you yell and the professor takes off your cloak. "Haneul..you..your Mark." she stutters. Jihoon rushes over to you and looks at your back. "Haneul..when's your birthday again?"

"...July 7th, 1999? Why?"

"Umm...Haneul we have a problem. This Mark..I've seen this Mark in the Scroll of Mages. This is the Mark of the rumoured Mage of the Universe..he died on your birthday: July 7th 1999."

 

"You have the Mark of the Galaxy."

 

 


Author's Note: Hey sorry for having like a year hiatus. I don't know have much longer I can keep up with this bc U only have access to this during the summers:/ I'll try to work something out but..

I'm really sorry for waiting this long! I hope you enjoyed this chapter:)

 

안 녕 !

{141842|2369}