13 Types

The Mark of the Galaxy

You walked behind Jihoon and exited the terminal then went toward the crowd of people gathering at the Yonsei Students Gather Here!! sign. You watch as Jihoon walks up to his friends by throwing a couple water droplets at them. You awkwardly head to where he went and stood a distance behind him. You couldn't help it. He was the only person you knew there at the time. You fiddled with your phone as a young girl carrying a suitcase walked past you.

She wasn't that young; she just didn't look 17 or 18. Her long wavy black hair shone behind her as she walked in your direction. She was practically shimmering. When she walked past you, you felt a connection in your brain, like a spark that lit for a few seconds. She stopped in front of you and turned to you with a curious face.

"Hey, what type are you??" she asked.

"...Huh?" you questioned.

"You're a mage right? What type are you? Water, Ice, Light?" she responded.

"Umm..I...I'm not sure..yet." you replied.

 

She looked at you. Up and down. She slyly smiled and went to stand by you.

"You're weird, you know?" she said.

"Huh, what?"

"I can't tell what you are- I mean, you're a mage, obviously- but I can't tell what kind you are, you know?"

"Oh..sorry?" you apologized.

"No, don't say sorry, I'm just curious. I can usually tell who's a mage, what they control, and how experienced they are just by looking at them; the results are even more obvious if I happen to be in a close distance to them..But," she said as she looked at you, "I can't even tell what you are standing right here and talking to you."

"..." You didn't know what to say so you just nodded.

"Not that's it's a bad thing or anything!" she said, flustered.

"No, it's fine." you say with a laugh. "I'm not offended. But can yo really tell the difference between different mages??"

She did an exaggerated sigh. "I thought I insulted you or something." she said breathing heavily. "Ya, I can tell the difference between mages. Different types have different body features." She pointed to the group of boys Jihoon was with. "You see the really short dude over there? With the pink hair?" You nodded. "Well, his name is Woozi. He's a water mage. Water mages are usually shorter, have like, perfect skin because they can control how much oil is produced on their face, and like to dye their hair in weird colors, I don't even know why, they just do, like you see that girl standing over there?" She said as she pointed to a girl with maroon hair. "She's also a water mage. And so is that girl over there with the blue hair. It's weird you know?"

"Woozi...like Jihoon?" You ask.

"I guess, she said, he likes to be called Woozi though, it's his nickname." She paused to get a breath. "I'm a light mage, as you probably noticed because of the spark that lit when I walked past. We, mostly, have pale skin, wavy hair, and ehm..bigger busts, oh and we keep our black hair 'cause it absorbs the most light. But all of this doesn't really matter when we change forms but-"

"Wait..change forms?" You asked. "What's that? Like shape shifting?"

"Oh..you don't know. Well it's okay I'll tell you." She grinned. "We as mages have to modes: On or Off. Or as the teachers say it, 'Common and Ignite Form' Which, I think is kind of stupid because we aren't car engines or anything. What's with the 'Ignite', you know? Anyways, when you become experienced enough, you can freely switch forms. If not, you're always stuck in 'Common Form' which is what most humans are in. When you choose to switch to Ignite, your body transforms into something else. Not too dramatic but like, different features. All mages from their type have similar features; all the light mages' hair turns white, not like grandma white, but like...you know. But anyway, our hair turns white and straight, our irises become yellowish, like cream colored, and a light shines around us as the process happens. All mages also have a mark, like a tattoo, that forms when your switch modes. When your mode is off, the tattoo disappears. The Mark can be anywhere on your body but most of the Marks end up on your wrist, ankle, or hand. The Light Mages have a mark, it's a yellow sun on our wrists with it's rays extending up the back of our hand to our fingertips" She explained. "Does that make sense??"

You nod again.

"Well let me use Woozi as an example. I said he's a water mage right? To be honest, I bet he can control more than water, like snow or ice, or both because his transformation is...something; all the other water mages have the normal hair turning blue, eyes turning blue, and the Water Mark, but Woozi's transformation is incredible. his hair turns different shades of blue and his eyes aren't just dark blue; they literally have waves and water patterns on them. If you look into his eyes, you can see the ocean. But his Mark is especially strange."

"Strange??" you wondered.

"The Water Mages' Mark is a dark blue teardrop, or raindrop, shape with swirls looking like waves inside the teardrop shape." she explained. "That's what everyone's is supposed to look like. Woozi's Mark is a raindrop shape with waves in the middle, normal, but around it, there's little snowflakes and crystals surrounding the raindrop. Most water mages have their Mark on their dominant hand's palm, in some rare occasions, it appears on the side of their neck. But Woozi's Mark appears on both palms. Mages only have one Mark, but Woozi has two; isn't that weird??"

"Ya that does seem-" you started.

 

"Yah!"

You turn and see Jihoon (or Woozi) and the people waving at you guys. "Chanmi!!! Over here!"

"Chanmi?" you say. "Is that you?"

"Oh! I forgot to introduce myself! My name is Chanmi, I'm a junior here."

"A junior??" You exclaim.

"Ya. People say I look like a little kid. But ya I'm a junior. I'm 19. I started school early."

"Oh. Well, I'm Min Haneul, a 1st year, I'm 17."

 

"Yah! Chanmi, come over here. We're loading the buses." Woozi shouted.

"Coming!! And I brought my new friend!!" she yelled back. She grabbed her suitcase and slung her backpack over her shoulder. "C'mon, let's go!"

 

 

 

After you arrived at Yonsei University, the headmaster of the school gave the students a welcoming speech and directed you towards the registration tables. There, you were given your dorm key card, schedule, two sets of uniforms, a food card, ID, and everything else you needed as a student. You got to your dorm room and unlocked the door. No one was there yet. You put your suitcase and backpack near your bed and laid down; you looked at the blank ceiling as you recalled the headmaster's speech.

"...Yonsei University is known for its great academics, it is one of the S.K.Y. Universities of course, but there is a long time secret kept between the students and faculty. The secret shall not and will not be exposed to foreign peoples: people who don't go to or work at Yonsei. There are less than 40 thousand people enrolled in Yonsei. Every single one of you have been chosen for academic reasons, that's a granted. BUT we, being in The Republic of Korea with a population of over 50 million and only 500 somewhat mages, we, Yonsei University know this secret. This secret that only 500 mages in South Korea isn't possible. Why do we know that? Because out of the students, faculty members, teachers, and advisors at our school, more than half of them are mages. More than HALF of the student body are mages. This secret has been kept for more than 100 years and it will continue being kept for the rest of this university's life...."

 

"More than half are mages huh?" you thought. You rolled over and reached for your schedule lying in the desk. The school was run on a block schedule and yet, there was a class on all the days of each week. "What's MT&CSP?" you thought.

You heard your door beep and you sat up, ready to meet your roommate. A young boy carrying a box walked in the room with his backpack falling off his shoulder. He set the box down next to his desk and exited the doorway to get his suitcase. The door shut behind him as he sighed and flopped onto his bed. He turned to you, still watching him with your legs crossed.

"Hi." He said, facing you. He sat up mirroring your sitting position.

"Hello?" you manage to say. You felt kind of uncomfortable, making eye contact for so long. You two stayed in that position until you felt the same feeling when Chanmi passed you: a spark. Not a light type of strong spark that Chanmi had given you, but a mellow one, for some reason, colder? He sighed and laid back down. "Do you have MT&CSP?" he asked. (MT&CSP is pronounced MiT CSeP (mit sep)).

"What..What's mit sep?" you ask.

He sighed and closed his eyes. "MT&CSP. The class. Do you have it?"

"Oh. Ya.." you replied.

He sat up again and held out his hand. "Late introduction, but nice to meet you, fellow mage. I'm Lee Chan, a 1st year."

You reached over to shake his hand and said "Min Haneul, I'm also a 1st year. Nice to meet you, roommate." she said with a smile before shaking his hand.

When the two hands met to be shaken, a cold mist swirled around the two bodies making the room freezing cold. You stared at each other, Chan in shock and you incredibly confused. The two of you stayed like that until-

 

*beep

"Yo!!! What's up?"

 

The two of you let go and the mist disappeared. You turned and saw 3 guys in the doorway.

"You know," Chan said as he rubbed his temples. "If you have the ability to open doors, then where's the privacy?"

"Oh." the guys said. He had a bandana wrapped around his head clearing his face from his wavy bangs. "Dino, I didn't know you liked to-."

"Yah Vernon hyung! What's that supposed to mean??" Dino asked as he threw a handful of ice crystals at the guy.

"Hey! Woah woah!" The bandana guy said. "Just because I'm a lightning mage doesn't mean you can throw ice at me again."

"This place is below freezing." The tall guy with a beanie chattered. "Channie, what'd you do this time??"

"What're you talking about, Mingyu?" the other tall guy asked. "The temperature is just right. Just how I like it."

"That's because you're a cold mage, Wonwoo." Mingyu retorted. "It's super cold."

 

As he walked into the room, the room started to feel warmer. Mingyu stopped chattering and Wonwoo started sweating. Wonwoo decided it'd be fun to mess with the temperature some more and made the room cold again. The two kept messing with the temperature until Vernon started getting annoyed. He went up to the two and pinch their cheeks, sending a weak electric shock through their veins.

"Owww!!" they shouted and massaged their faces.

"That's enough okay?" Vernon directed. "This is why you guys can never go anywhere together even though you do anyways."

"You're mean.." Mingyu pouted.

 

You just sat on your bed watching all this play out. The incoming mages didn't seem to notice you there, not that you cared, and you laid back down on your bed. The movement of your once still figure caught Vernon's attention.

"Hey!" he waved. "Nice to meet you. You're a mage right? I'm Chwe Hansol. You can call me Vernon; I'm a lightning mage."

"Hi?" you replied.

"What's your name?" he asked.

"Min Haneul...How'd you know I was a mage?" you asked.

"All trained mages know who's who. I bet those guys-" he said as he pointed to the tall guys in the back. "noticed it too." He turned to the still whining guys. "Right?"

"Huh? Oh ya." Mingyu said. "I noticed the presence of two mages in Dino's room so I figured.."

"Oh...so they did notice me here.." you thought.

Vernon nodded in approval. "So what type are you?" he asked you.

"Umm...well..I-" you started.

"She's probably an ice mage." Dino said.

"Wait, why?" you wondered.

"Because when I shook your hand, ice formed around both of us, not just me." he answered.

"Really??" Vernon asked you. You shrugged. "Let me try." He said and held out his hand.

 

You shook his hand and nothing seemed to happen. Maybe you were an ice mage. He didn't let go though, he just kept holding your hand. He let go of your hand only to put your hand palm to palm with his. As he pulled away his hand, the people in the room could see a small electric current between the palms. Dino frowned. He was sure you were an ice mage and yet, you could handle electricity so well. Vernon put his back into his pocket and started "Actually, I think she's a-" he started.

 

"Hey guys?"

The five of you turned to the voice. Woozi was standing near the still wide open door with a taller guy with bleached cabbage hair.

"The first meeting is about to start." Woozi said.

 

 

Once you got to the auditorium the meeting was going to be held. Apparently it was a conjuring meeting/class for the mages attending Yonsei. You saw thousands of students showing off their mage skills to their group of mage friends and laughing with each other. You didn't know where to go. Do you keep walking with Woozi and the others? Do you try to make new friends?? Do you-

 

"Haneul!!! Over here!!"

You saw someone jumping up and down waving their hand: Chanmi. You walked over to where she was. She was standing with the guys Woozi was standing with at the airport. You counted 13 of them. Once you got to her, the woman on stage clapped 13 times and the students sat down. The lights dimmed as she started a performance. Fire swirled around her and dazzled the stage as she danced to music. Once the song was finished, the lights as the students applauded. A couple of students groaned and covered their eyes. The woman grabbed the microphone on the far end of the stage.

"Sorry all you dark mages out there." she apologized. "I should have warned you guys. Anyway, welcome to the first meeting of the school year! Just so you know, all of you in here are mages so don't worry about any students eavesdropping on us."

"How does she know that?" you ask Chanmi.

"She can sense if someone is or isn't a mage just by being in a mile radius of them" she whispered back.

"Oh."

*splash

"Oh !" You turned and saw Woozi's white T-shirt stained with coffee. "Damn you, Hoshi." he muttered as the cabbage haired boy next to apologizing over and over again.

The woman the woman cleared continued. "By the way, if you didn't notice why I clapped 13 times, it's because there are 13 different types of mages. All 13 types of these mages are gathered in this room. Since this is the first meeting of the year, I'm going to try to get your guys interested in mastering your gifted powers. I have a kind volunteer, Lee Jihoon, that can show you how cool, I guess, it can be to master your skills."

"Wait, what??" Woozi looked startled as everyone in the room looked in his direction. "I never volunteered for this." he said.

"It doesn't matter." The teacher said. "You still have to. You are the top mage in Yonsei University after all."

 

"Wait really?" you asked. He sighed and nodded and made his way down the stairs to the stage. The teacher walked off and the stage was to him.

 

 

He started by closing his eyes and taking two deep breaths. On the second one, you could see water droplets surrounding him as they rose from the condensation of the ground. His pink hair disappeared and became a somewhat mixed light blue, turquoise, and dark blue. His white T-shirt was clean again as the coffee was seeped out of it and into the mixture of water droplets. The droplets multiplied and became currents of water circling around him. A soft glow could be seen from his hands as his Mark started appearing. The Mark wasn't just a solid blue. It was more like an ombre type of blue starting from dark blue ending to a very light silver blue. His Mark shone until each little detail appeared. The water currents traveled from him and spilled toward the audience. You covered your head expecting a wall of water to hit you. You slowly opened your eyes again and saw tiny water droplets floating in the air letting the light bounce off of it shining around the auditorium. It was beautiful. The droplets stayed there until Woozi opened his eyes again, now blue and retrieved the water letting it seep into him through his Mark on both palms.

He looked like a different person: a mage. The Woozi you saw wasn't the Woozi who just played around. He looked strong, powerful. And you realize:

 

This is what becoming a mage is all about.

 

 

 


Author's Note: Hey guys!! Sorry, I couldn't update faster. I was touring colleges and I had to do some college apps but I'm back! School's about to start and and blah so I don't think I'm gonna update as much from then.

I hope you guys liked it!

This chapter wasn't as good in than I wanted it to but I tried. Sorry...

 

안녕!

{160037|2942}