Who are you?

The Mark of the Galaxy

When you were 4: You were walking from the park with your grandma back to your house in the middle of winter; She was carrying your jacket. You never wore it because you never felt cold. You were thinking about that and about how you never felt too hot either; just...normal. It's not that you couldn't wear a jacket, I mean, you could, but you wouldn't feel any warmer even if you wore a giant snow jacket outside in the summer.

You were so lost in your train of thought that you didn't notice the sudden turn up ahead and accidentally slid down a snowy hill into an icy lake. You heard your grandma scream as she tried to call for help. You could see local people gathering, no one daring to jump in and save you. 'Wait...rewind." your brain thought. You could see them. Told you, weird huh? You realized you were calmly suspended between where the icy water met the air and the frozen lake bottom. You weren't struggling for breath; You weren't cold: It felt...normal.

You swam to the top, not gasping for air, you calmly swam over to the dumbfounded adults. They didn't understand how you could've survived that but before they could ask you anything, your grandma hugged you so hard and knocked the air out of you. She froze. And pulled away from you.

 

"Haneul, are...are you cold?" her eyes looked worried.

"Nope!" you cheerfully replied. "Not a single bit, so you don't have to worry about me, Mama." You said with a smile. Your grandma was like a mother to you. She was the one who took care of you ever since the incident.

//Flashback//

It happened when you were just turning two: your first birthday party. You have no idea how you remember this but you can't seem to get rid of it no matter how hard you tried. You were about to eat the cake your uncle had bought for you when your family heard a loud knock on their front door downstairs. It was your dad that answered it; Your door didn't have a peep hole so he just opened it, not checking to see who it was.

Wrong move

Everyone heard a gunshot. The noise was so loud; You never heard it in your life. Your mom shook with fear as she went to go check what was wrong.

"Honey...are..are you oka-" you heard her start to say. Her voice was interrupted by another gunshot. She never spoke again.

By now, your whole family was screaming, running around the kitchen and the dining room. Your aunt grabbed hold of you and almost threw you on the bed in the guest room connected to the kitchen hallway. Your aunt closed the door to make sure you couldn't get hurt. You could still hear screaming and you heard the dining room door swing open. You hear a round of ammunition being fired as one by one, the screaming stopped. You heard footsteps walking around the hallways and near the front door as you heard the person swing open the front door and slammed it shut.

You didn't scream. You were terrified but you didn't scream. You were sad but you couldn't cry. The tears couldn't come out, your voice couldn't come out. You climbed onto a chair and looked outside the window: no car. You waited for another 5 minutes before you pried open the door. You poked your head outside and the image of the scene soaked into your brain.

Blood. Everywhere. Blood on the walls, on the floor, even on the ceiling, this crimson liquid covered the scene. You saw your aunt laying on the ground in the hallway, you family members' bodies scattered across the dining room with a hole in their heads. You heard a groan. You walked as fast as a toddler could and saw more blood, more relatives, dead, lifeless, on the ground. You followed the sound of the moan and saw a person trying to move. You waddled over to the person realizing it was your grandma.

"Grand-mama!!" you yelled as you tried to get to her. She didn't have a hole in her head, she had a scrape on her arm. "Grand-mama.." you stuttered as you touched her wound. Dumb move?


Apparently not. You see her wound stop bleeding and start to heal. You looked at it in awe. "Am I seeing things??" you asked yourself. Maybe.

To check, you touched your second uncle on the head, where he had his hole. Nothing. "Nothing."

You looked back at your grandma, not moving, you looked at her with eyes wide in fear but realized she was just unconscious.

*Ding dong

The noise scared you so much, afraid it was another person like that man. You looked out the window of the dining room facing the front. There were a bunch of  people with their cell phones out , calling the ambulance. You recognized them as neighbors. You tried your hardest to walk down the stairs but found crawling was the best. After climbing down the first flight of stairs, you paused: there in the hallway of the stairs were two people. You trembled as you crawled toward them; You recognized them. You started crying as you crawled toward them.

That was the last time you saw your parents.

//End of Flashback//

"But.." your grandma complained as she held your cold, frozen arm. "Is she a...? No..she can't be." her grandma thought. "But she was in there for at least 5 minutes."

 

You heard an ambulance in the distance. The noise came closer and closer. The noise terrified you. The only time you heard the ambulance siren so loud was when the ambulance came to your house that one day. You still didn't know why the incident happened but you never wanted to bring it up. You didn't show your emotion. You never showed any type of sadness or scared-ness. That day when your grandma was sent to the hospital, she told you as you were crying

"Never show people you're sad. Never show people emotions you don't like. So never show people you're mad either. Only show emotions you would like, the ones you would want to feel. Emotions spread. Only spread the ones you like okay? When you cry, you're showing people you're sad. Don't show that because you wouldn't want to spread it; You wouldn't want to spread your sadness." You shook your head and wiped away your tears. That was the last time you cried.


You were sent to the hospital and then discharged because they could find nothing wrong with you. You walked home with Mama (grand-mama) wearing a dry set of clothes.

 

 

 

That was 13 years ago. The you now is going to college next month. You have the same morals, never show sadness, etc., be happy, but also get good grades, study, etc. School stuff.

You smiled as you woke up and got out of bed. You looked around the little room you stayed in. You shared an apartment with a guy named Seojun who was two years older than you. You were fine with that, he was nice, he didn't have a home either because his parents abandoned him and fly him from America to Korea when he was 7. He joined you after becoming good friends in junior high and high school.

 

Your grandma died from old age when you were five. The last words she said were to you. She said "Don't cry, be happy." as you were about to start sobbing. When you heard that, you really wanted to cry. You needed to cry, but you didn't so you could fulfill your grand-mama's last wish. After that, you didn't have a home. Spent time in the houses of your late parents' friends. You worked a high paying job as an English tutor so you rented yourself an apartment to live in when you were only 13, thanked the people who took care of you, and moved out.

 

You looked around the room. You were going to miss it. You were going to miss Seojun. You were going to miss everything in Busan. The people, the scenery, the sea. You were moving to Seoul today to attend college there. You got into Yonsei University after countless weeks of studying. It was a huge deal for you; Yonsei University's acceptance rate was below 5%. You were ecstatic when you got the acceptance letter. It wasn't that hard for you to study, you realized you remembered things quite well. Hence the two year old remembering every detail of the incident.

 

You got changed into a baggy shirt, leggings, and a beanie (airport clothes) and went to go eat breakfast. It was still dark outside. Seojun had made you a special good bye breakfast with your favorite, chocolate chip pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream on top with a glass of milk.

 

"Eat up!!" he said. "You have to get to the airport in 3 hours."

"What time is it??" you asked finished your prayer and stuffed your face with pancake. Christianity has always been a part of your life. Your mom and dad were Christian and so was your Grandma.

Seojun looked at you with a playful face of disgust. "Don't talk with your mouth full." He said.

You rolled your eyes. You liked to mess with Seojun from time to time. You quickly chewed and swallowed your food. "Soo..what time is it??"

"4:06" he giggled. "Slow down or you'll choke yourself."

 

 

Seojun dropped you off at the airport along with all your stuff and helped you get your tickets. When you were about to go through security, you turned to Seojun. "I guess this is good bye now huh?" you asked. He was sniffling. You smiled. "It's been a good 4 years with you." you said as you pulled you into a hug. He was holding in his tears because he knew you hated it when people cried. "Don't worry." you said still in his embrace. "I'll come visit you sometime. Keep in touch?" you asked him. He pulled away wiped the tear that started to leak out from his eye and nodded. You grinned at him to make him feel better and stood on your tiptoes to whisper "Don't cry, be happy." in his ear before kiss him on the cheek. You then got your stuff, mouthed a "I love you" to him, and walked passed the wall separating the general public waiting section and the gates.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After you sat down, you texted Seojun saying you got to your gate: G17. He immediately texted back:

"I miss you already."

You smiled and texted "Me too. But it's ok, I won't forget you." 

"I love you"

"I love you forever."

"I guess this is good bye??"

"...I guess. Luv ya<3."

After that, Seojun didn't text you back. You could tell that if he did, he would never be able to stop. So you let the conversation end there. You took out your earphones and started listening to music.

 

 

You didn't remember falling asleep but you woke up after you felt a tap on your shoulder. You looked up and saw a short-ish, young looking man with pink hair standing in front of you. You pulled your earphones out to hear what he was saying.

"Could I sit here?" he asked.

You looked around not to see if there were any free seats but because you were wondering how many people were also at her gate.

"Oh! Sure!" you replied realizing he was still waiting for you to answer.

 

He sat down next to you and after a while, he asked "Are you going to Seoul for school??"

"Ya..I'm going to college." you answered. "Why're you going to Seoul?"

"College too."

"Oh."

There was a minute of silence.

"What college are you going to??" he questioned as he leaned his head back and closed his eyes.

"Yonsei." you said.

His eyes shot open. "What year are you?" he asked as he looked at you.

"A freshman." you curtly replied. "You go to Yonsei right? What year are you?"

"3rd."

"Oh.."

"What's your name?" the almost-asleep-or-at-least-looking-like-it boy said.

"Min Haneul."

"Lee Jihoon. Nice to meet you." he held out his hand.

You reached out hand and shook it and pulled your hand back. Your hand was wet. You looked at it, or at least it, was. The only thing you could see on your hand was retreating water. "What the..?".

"Hey, why was your hand wet?" You and Jihoon both said at the same time. "No it wasn't?" you both said at the same time. You looked at Jihoon's hand; It had a somewhat puddle of water in his palm. It somehow disappeared when you blinked.

He looked at you with suspicious look on his face.

"Let me see your hand." he said.

You extended it toward him. He put his a few inches atop of yours and you could see a drop of water drop from his palm onto your hand. He quickly removed his hand from on top of yours and watched the water droplet seep into your skin and let a little puff of steam out. You were dumbfounded and looked at him. You didn't know what was going on.

 

His face was still in shock and he gazed into your eyes and asked "Who are you?"

 

 

 



Author's Note: Hi guys!!! I decided to write another fanfic just because the idea was stuck in my head for the past couple of weeks.

I don't know when I'll be able to update this idk, maybe every week??

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did writing it!!

안녕!

{013226|2257}