48: Goodbye Part I

❉ The Lost Years
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

48: Goodbye Part I

 

 

   Kyungsoo took his time walking back to the house. The canopy in this part of the forest was at its thickest, blanketing the area in murky darkness and flickering shadows. His surroundings seemed apt, given the bleak mood he was in.

   With every step, he could feel his courage slipping away.

   Having finally accepted his fate, Kyungsoo came to the realisation that he had no idea what his plan was. He hadn’t given any thought to where he would go, or how to fight this disease. What would he do in the capital, all alone and without the support of his friends or Jeongri?

   Fleeting mental images of dying alone somewhere in the back alleys of the Outskirts plagued his mind, and Kyungsoo grimaced, trying to push those dark thoughts away. He took in a deep raggedy breath, letting the cold air fill his lungs and numb his body.

   With every step, he would be closer to Jeongri. He didn’t want to see her, at least, not so fast.

   Kyungsoo stopped abruptly and closed his eyes. That’s right. If he stayed right here, then he could prolong the unbearable fate that awaited them. He wouldn’t have to say those hurtful words that would break both their hearts. Images of Jeongri flashed in his mind; her smile, her laughter, her everything… With a sigh, Kyungsoo shook his head. Just staying here wasn’t a solution. Time wouldn’t just stop for them.

   With every step, the future became darker.

   A small part of him wanted to run away, to take the coward’s way out and leave without a word. If Chanyeol had been so angry with him, he couldn’t imagine Jeongri’s reaction. He didn’t know how to explain the fight without causing another argument. Kyungsoo cursed out loud. He should never have lashed out at Baekhyun, letting his negative emotions take over his unstable core. It was so childish and unlike him.

   With another ragged breath, Kyungsoo continued walking. Running away wasn’t the solution either. His friends would try to find him, unnecessarily putting their lives at risk for a lost cause. He didn’t want that, he couldn’t cause them any more burden. They were all good people, unlike him. Kyungsoo clenched his fists and cried out in frustration, punching a nearby tree. His knuckles began to bleed out, painting his hand in red.

   With every step, Kyungsoo could feel his heart tearing into pieces.

   Tears threatened to well in his eyes as he stepped foot onto the last winding path back to the others. He could see the house in the distance now, it’s ebony tiles in stark contrast with the clear, bright sky. Multiple voices could be heard in a heated conversation, and Kyungsoo stopped again, frozen in fear. The voices sounded so frantic and chaotic, each one talking louder than the other in a frenzied competition to be heard. Luhan’s distinct tone could be heard above them all, trying to calm everyone down.

   Kyungsoo felt his heart sink. If Luhan was back, then that would mean that Jeongri was back too. She must have seen what he did to Baekhyun. Was she as angry as Chanyeol? Or was she worried for him and his whereabouts? Which emotion would she choose?

   The end was so unbearably close now.  

   “What do you mean ‘he almost killed Baekhyun?’” came Luhan’s voice in the distance.

   Fear gripped Kyungsoo. It wasn’t like that, he didn’t mean for things to get so far. Without knowing, Kyungsoo quickened his footsteps. He didn’t want Jeongri to misunderstand too.

   Chanyeol was gesturing emphatically, his anger radiating from his presence like a siren.

   “He was beating the out of him! We saw everything!” Chanyeol sighed exasperatedly, running his hands through his hair in frustration, “You need to do something about this! It’s not right!”

   “I told you, I’m fine!” came Baekhyun’s stern voice.

   He grabbed Chanyeol from out of view, and Kyungsoo felt relieved that Baekhyun was on his side. Despite their fight, Baekhyun was still willing defending him.

   “It’s not fine! He was killing you! Why are you defending him?!” bellowed Chanyeol. He kicked at the ground when he spotted Kyungsoo in the distance, “There you are, you bastard!”

   Without realising, Kyungsoo took a frightened step back. Chanyeol was scowling viciously at him, one hand raised and pointing in his direction. An array of faces moved into view, unable to see through the dark forest undergrowth like Chanyeol could.

   “Where? I can’t see him,” Jeongri said.

   A sharp pain tugged in Kyungsoo’s chest as Jeongri moved into view, her face was a picture of distress. She looked so worried, anxiously awaiting his return. A multitude of silent apologies ran through Kyungsoo’s mind; he was sorry for making her so upset. Jeongri took a step into the forest, but Chanyeol grabbed her roughly on the arm, holding her back.

   “No, Jeongri,” warned Chanyeol, “Don’t get close to him, he’s dangerous.”

   “He’s my partner. How can you say that?” came Jeongri’s indignant reply.

   Jeongri tried to shake off Chanyeol’s grip, but Chanyeol held firm. So firm that she looked like it was hurting her. Kyungsoo felt himself take another step forward, feeling the anger start to churn within.

   Don’t grab her like that.

   “Are you ing blind, or can you not you see what he did to Baekhyun?” cursed Chanyeol.

   “I swear if you don’t let go of me, I will smack you in the face, Park Chanyeol,” Jeongri seethed.

   The surface of her skin rippled, ready to change into her demon form when Chanyeol finally let go, pushing her so hard that she fell over.

   “Fine! Do whatever you want!” Chanyeol growled.

   Kyungsoo felt himself moving fast, not caring that his negative emotions were starting to churn out of control again. He didn’t want to fight Chanyeol, but at the same time, he hated seeing Jeongri get involved on his behalf. He deserved Chanyeol’s anger, not her.

   “Hey!” shouted Baekhyun, furiously pushing Chanyeol aside, “What the are you doing?”

   “Guys…” came Luhan’s exasperated voice.

   Kyungsoo watched as Baekhyun moved into view, stepping in between Jeongri and Chanyeol, trying to calm the situation. In the light, Baekhyun looked so much worse than Kyungsoo remembered. He was drenched head to toe with deep red streaks running all over his body and clothes, looking like he’d been to hell and back.

   With one hand, Baekhyun bent down and helped Jeongri stand up again, all the while glaring angrily at Chanyeol. The sight of Baekhyun and Jeongri together brought about a fresh wave of heartache to Kyungsoo, and he looked away, unable to accept the inevitable.

   “I told you! We trained! It’s not a big ing deal. Just calm the down!” cursed Baekhyun, his anger getting the better of him.

   “He almost killed you!” Chanyeol roared back, waving his arms in exasperation, “What part of that don’t you understand?!”

   Suddenly, Chanyeol pushed Baekhyun so hard that the latter was thrown halfway across the garden.

   “Guys, please! Stop this…” came Luhan’s tired voice again, hidden by the treeline.

   “How the hell am I meant to react when I’m stood there watching helplessly as he was killing you?!” Chanyeol glanced over at Jeongri and then back to Baekhyun, “It was over that… thing, wasn’t it?! Are you two really that ing stupid?!”

   Baekhyun scrambled to his feet and marched back over.

   “I told you to calm the down,” hissed Baekhyun, shoving Chanyeol back.

   “Why are you even ing defending him after what he did?!”

   Suddenly, Chanyeol pulled back his fist and punched Baekhyun squarely in the jaw. The latter fell back, shocked by the sudden attack. Jeongri and Luhan’s shouts were ignored by Chanyeol as he marched on Baekhyun, picking up his partner by the collar. Pulling his fist back, Chanyeol looked as though he was going to hit Baekhyun again, but at the last moment, he dropped his fist in defeat.

   “You can’t just let him do that to you!” said Chanyeol, breaking down, “We left the HLV for one reason, and I followed you! I trusted you! Are you telling me to stand idly by and watch you give up so easily? You have no idea how scared I was, seeing you get the life pummelled out of you!”

   Chanyeol let go of Baekhyun’s collar and took a few deep breaths, wiping his eyes on his sleeve. 

   “Look,” croaked Chanyeol, his eyes red and filled with remorse from hitting Baekhyun, “I won’t let him hurt you again. I don’t care how far I have to take it; I can’t lose you, Baekhyun. I won’t let him, and I won’t apologise for what I’m about to do.”

   Suddenly, Chanyeol his heel and ran at Kyungsoo, his eyes filled with revenge. Kyungsoo couldn’t move; guilt had paralysed him to the spot. Both Jeongri and Baekhyun switched to the demon forms to chase after Chanyeol, but Chanyeol was too fast. The only thing Kyungsoo could do was to close his eyes and accept his punishment.

   “THAT’S ENOUGH!!” boomed Luhan’s voice.

   With an intense burst of pressure, Luhan unleashed his presence, bending the air forcefully and throwing everyone apart in a violent tumble. Kyungsoo fell to his knees, gasping for breath. The pressure from Luhan’s presence was too intense, it felt like his lungs were being crushed.

   With difficulty, Kyungsoo lifted his head to see Luhan marching towards him, staring with a frightened curiosity. Kyungsoo felt the pressure increase with every step, wrapping around his arms and legs, pinning him to the ground. Everyone else was still crumpled on the ground in varying states of disarray, stunned from the blast.

   “Kyungsoo, what is this?” asked Luhan, his voice raised in alarm.

   Just the tone of his voice confirmed Kyungsoo’s suspicions. Luhan could feel the malformed energy in his magical core now, just like Sehun did. It didn’t matter what Kyungsoo’s explanation was anymore. No matter what he said, he would look like the bad person.

   “It’s not what it looks like-” began Kyungsoo.

   “Well, you’d better explain fast then,” demanded Luhan, raising his hand.

   Suddenly, Kyungsoo became acutely aware of the fear eman

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter