41: Monster

❉ The Lost Years
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

41: Monster

 

 

   “Get away from me!” shouted Sehun as he crashed through the undergrowth of the forest, trying to distance himself from Kyungsoo, “I don’t want to be anywhere near you!”

   Kyungsoo ran after Sehun, but Sehun was so much taller than him, his strides far wider, and Kyungsoo found himself grasping uselessly at the ever-growing gap between them.

   He didn’t mean for their training session to get so out of hand. He didn’t mean to lose control.

   “No, please, Sehun. I’m so sorry,” Kyungsoo apologised, imploring for Sehun to hear him out, “Please listen to me.”

   “I don’t want to hear it!” Sehun snapped, sounding fearful and angry, “There’s something wrong with you! You’re not normal!”

   “Please, just stop for a second. I can explain,” pleaded Kyungsoo.

   Earlier, when Kyungsoo was waiting for Sehun’s arrival, he’d been unable to stop thinking of Jeongri and Baekhyun’s history together. Depressing thoughts kept circling his mind, and snippets of his conversation with Chanyeol the other night kept plaguing his thoughts. He couldn’t stop nurturing the bad mood that had been stirring in his heart ever since the night before.

   Was he crazy to feel like this? Or selfish, even? Seeing Baekhyun by Jeongri’s side made him feel so unreasonably angry, and he hated it.

   Eventually, when Sehun showed up, his prickly attitude and snappy nature had done nothing but add fuel to Kyungsoo’s bad mood.

   It was Sehun who suggested having a practice fight, something that Kyungsoo welcomed with open arms. He needed something to distract him from his wayward thoughts, but he soon found out that Sehun wasn’t going to be taking this session lightly either. Within seconds, their innocent practice fight exploded into a real battle; the stakes set on life or death.

   It was violent and chaotic. The bad mood that Kyungsoo was harbouring seeped into his magic, affecting his performance and without realising, he poured all his frustrations into his Minotaur. In that second, Kyungsoo lost control of his summon. It burned brighter than the sun, letting out a terrifying cry before stampeding towards a terrified looking Sehun. Sehun, whose abilities were locked by Kyungsoo’s awry magic, could only watch on in horror.

   Kyungsoo managed to regain control at the last second, recalling his summon before it attacked Sehun, but the damage was done. The severity of what had happened dawned on them both, and there was nothing Kyungsoo could do to take it back. He had lost control, the scars on his chest stinging intensely. It was clear that Kyungsoo was not ready to use his magic again; not now, possibly not ever. Sehun ended the training session at that moment, hurling insult after insult, before storming away.

   Kyungsoo chased after Sehun, but the latter showed no signs of stopping.

   “Sehun, please!”

   “Just leave me alone, you monster!” shouted Sehun.

   The word ‘monster’ hit a nerve in Kyungsoo, and he stopped in his tracks. Memories that he would rather forget flashed through his mind, and he found himself lost for words. It had been a long time since anyone called him a monster, but it still stung to hear.

   He didn’t ask for his insane wealth of power.

   He didn’t want any of it.

   Monster.

   “Don’t call me that,” Kyungsoo found himself saying.

   There was an anger behind his voice, a rumble of unintentional magic that crackled through the air. Kyungsoo did not mean to burn down his neighbour’s home when he was a child, nor did he intend to hurt Sehun. Kyungsoo never asked to be called a monster. The scars on his body burned fiercely, making him wince out loud. The foliage around Kyungsoo’s feet began to wilt, greying in colour as they died in droves around him.

   Sehun looked around wildly, watching the scene unfolding before him. He stared at Kyungsoo, aghast at the negative energy that was pouring from Kyungsoo’s presence.

   “Just stay away from me,” hissed Sehun, almost stumbling as he backed away, “I don’t know what your ing problem is, but I don’t want to be anywhere near it.”

   And with that, Sehun teleported away in a wisp of black smoke, leaving Kyungsoo all alone in the depths of the forest with only distant sounds accompanying him. Kyungsoo didn’t realise how tightly he’d been clenching his fists; his nails cut deep into his palms, his knuckles white from the pressure, his whole body shaking. Kyungsoo took a few deep breaths to try and calm himself down, but he was finding it increasingly difficult.

   “I’m not a monster…”

   For the first time in years, Kyungsoo had found someone willing to look past his exterior of a powerful mage and appreciate him for who he was, yet his future seemed so bleak. The gods were cruel to give him a short moment of happiness only to take it away so fast. Images of Jeongri swam into his mind, and Kyungsoo closed his eyes, trying to force the negativity from his presence. With one hand, he massaged the scars on his chest, willing for the pain to go away.

   “I can do this. I can still control it.”

   Composing himself, Kyungsoo shook his head in an attempt to clear the negative thoughts. He could already feel his breathing slow down, and the pain in his chest subside. His magical core just needed time to heal, Kyungsoo lied to himself, and before long, he should be able to use his magic again.

   The only logical place that Sehun would go was back home. Kyungsoo checked his watch, noting that it was still early based on Luhan’s schedule, so everyone should still be out. If he could make it back to the house early, then he could make amends with Sehun before anyone found out what happened between them.

   It was quiet on the way back, and soon, the house came into view. Quickening his pace, Kyungsoo only made a short distance before stopping abruptly. There was an array of voices coming from the garden, and he felt his heart sink. Was he too late? He could hear Jeongri and Chanyeol, but he could also hear Luhan’s. Everyone must have finished their training sessions early.

   Kyungsoo hung back, peering through the trees to assess the situation. Fear brewed in his heart, quickening his heartbeat. He was scared that Sehun was spilling what happened, and that Baekhyun or Chanyeol would figure out what was wrong with him.

   “I said ‘train with each other’, not ‘kill each other’…” came Luhan’s tired and distant voice.

   “Well, technically, we didn’t kill each other,” came Chanyeol’s cheeky reply.

   Chanyeol’s laughter echoed through the woods. Kyungsoo pushed forwards slowly, watching them from the shadows, wary now that he knew that Luhan and Baekhyun were back too. He could see Luhan and Chanyeol standing with their backs to him, and a smaller figure, Jeongri perhaps, standing in front of them, obscured from view. Baekhyun and Sehun were nowhere to be seen.

   “He was trying really hard though,” came Jeongri’s muffled voice.

   “Like you weren’t,” replied an indignant Chanyeol, laughing with her.

   “You guys are giving me such a headache…” said Luhan, running his hands through his hair.

   Luhan turned around, visibly stressed, looking as though he was done with the pair. Jeongri moved into view, holding a bloodied towel to her nose and all of a sudden, Kyungsoo felt worried. What exactly happened between them?

   “Lighten up, hyung,” said Chanyeol, slapping Luhan on the back, “No one died.”

   Luhan glared at him.

   “You’re going to die when Kyungsoo sees what you did to Jeongri,” he warned.

   “Why? They’re just friends,” replied a glib Chanyeol, “I’m sure he’ll see the funny side.”

   “Don’t worry, Luhan oppa,” said Jeongri, “I’ll explain it to him, I’m sure he’ll understand.”

   Behind them, Baekhyun ran out of the house with a small first aid kit in his hand. He looked a little worse for wear, and he looked pissed off. Baekhyun stopped at the group and made Jeongri sit down with him. Feelings of jealously spurred in Kyungsoo again. Craning his neck, he was shocked to see the full extent of her injuries.

   Jeongri’s nose was broken, there was no doubt about it. Her clothes were torn and drenched, her face and arms covered in cuts and bruises. Her left eye was swollen and blackened, as though she’d been struck several times.

   “I’m going to kill you even if Kyungsoo won’t,” growled Baekhyun, looking far more irritated than he should be, “You guys took this way too far.”

   Kyungsoo watched as Baekhyun pulled Jeongri’s arm into his lap, before tending to her cuts. She seemed to pout at being told off, but silently complied. Kyungsoo felt a sigh escaping his lips. He hadn’t seen Jeongri all morning, and he wanted nothing more than to be by her side, but Baekhyun was like an invisible wall that held him back.

   As Baekhyun leant in closer to examine the cuts on Jeongri’s face, she seemed to look at him with a bemused expression. She was no longer smiling or pouting as she had been moments ago, but there was something about the way she looked at Baekhyun that made Kyungsoo feel uneasy. Several times, Jeongri shuffled about, seemingly becoming increasingly uncomfortable with how close Baekhyun was, but no one seemed to notice except Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo wanted to join the group, to push Baekhyun away, but his legs were frozen in place. All he could do was stand there, and watch Baekhyun do what should have been his job.

   But then, Baekhyun said something to Jeongri that made her break out into a smile. She hid her shy giggles behind her hand, and Kyungsoo watched as all the unease melted away in her body language. They looked as though they were in a world of their own.

   She’s not yours to take care of.

   “You two aren’t allowed to pair up again,” said Luhan, crossing his arms and shaking his head, “Ever.”

   Baekhyun nodded, shooting a look at Chanyeol.

   “I agree, wholeheartedly.”

   “Aw, come on. Don’t be a killjoy. We have unfinished business; I still need to win round three,” said Chanyeol, winking openly at Jeongri.

   She could only laugh nervously, wincing as the antiseptic washed over her cuts.

   “We both know that round three is mine,” she joked.

   “Puh-lease,” said Chanyeol, slapping Jeongri so hard on her back that she fell into Baekhyun’s lap, “You can’t even stand up right now.”

   Abruptly, Baekhyun dropped the first aid kit and stood up, rolling his sleeves as he did.

   “Right, you’re a dead man, Park Chanyeol.”

   All of a sudden, Baekhyun was chasing Chanyeol around the garden; the latter sprung away with his sharp instincts, laughing gleefully at the top of his voice.

   “Dude, it was a joke!” exclaimed Chanyeol, “Have mercy!”

   “Guys… Can we please act like civilised adults…?” groaned Luhan.

   Jeongri could only watch on, feeling amused at the sight unfolding before them.

   “Those two never changed, did they?” she said, chuckling as she did.

   Luhan didn’t seem to share the humour.

   “No… It seems they didn’t…” he replied.

   “Hey, I’m injured too!” laughed Chanyeol, staying out of Baekhyun’s reach, “Is this how you treat a sick person? This is abuse! You can’t hit a sick person!”

   “I’ll show you what abuse is,” threatened Baekhyun, switching to his demon form.

   Baekhyun jumped at Chanyeol, and the pair rolled across the garden in a violently spectacular fashion, play fighting for a few moments before pushing each other away. Baekhyun still looked annoyed, but seemed to feel better after hitting Chanyeol a few times.

   “Wait, why is my rose bush here?” asked Luhan, squinting at his flowerbeds, “Aren’t they supposed to be next to my lilies, and not my peonies…?”

   “Uh,” said Jeongri, her cheeks turning pink, “What do you mean? It’s always been like that, hasn’t it?”

   Luhan shook his head, the look of suspicion growing slowly on his face.

   “No, it hasn’t…” he muttered, bending down to inspect his flowerbed with intense scrutiny, “I think…?”

   Baekhyun walked back over and sat down beside Jeongri. She was looking at him brightly, even holding out her arm, ready for him to bandage. Something in Kyungsoo snapped. It was like he didn’t exist anymore.

   Without another thought, Kyungsoo marched towards the pair, an unwelcome wrath spurring. No one noticed him when he finally appeared from the forest. Pushing past Chanyeol, Kyungsoo knelt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter