13: The Stranger

❉ The Lost Years
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

13: The Stranger

 

 

   Early evening settled into the small town of Greyfleur. Skeletal tree’s with pools of deep red and golden yellow leaves scattered beneath lined every road during this time of year. Sehun checked his watch, noting that he had been out of the house a lot later than he had planned. A dejected sigh escaped his lips. It wasn’t like it mattered anyway; he didn’t want to go home, at least not while Luhan was there. The wind picked up again, sending a brisk chill racing through the streets, whirling the leaves up into a frenzy. He pulled his jacket closer and resigned himself to stay out a little longer.

   The local pub was unusually busy tonight; the air filled with raucous laughter and chatter of all different dialects. Greyfleur was one of those towns that remained relatively unchanged through the last decade, with people of all walks of life continuing to pass through this travelling town.

   Sehun sat alone at the bar and raised his hand to order his usual drink, but the bartender nodded at him, not needing to be told. After all, Sehun had become a regular as of late. As he put away his headphones, he felt someone take a seat beside him.

    “Well, well. If it isn’t Sehun from the Oh family,” came a smooth, velvety male voice.

   Sehun turned defensively, startled that someone knew his heritage. Beside him sat a handsome and unfamiliar man with rich black hair, a strong jawline and expensive-looking clothes. His skin was pale like porcelain and he had this unusually bright smile that showcased his brilliantly white teeth. Whoever he was, he wasn’t someone Sehun knew.

   “Hey now, don’t be alarmed,” the stranger laughed, eyes narrowing from his smile. He gestured at the bartender and then back to where Sehun had been sitting, “Take a seat. You’re drink is on me.”

   The bartender arrived with two tall crystal wine glasses, each filled with a deep red liquid. Alarm bells quickly rang in Sehun’s mind. The bar did cater to vampires, but fresh blood was strictly off the menu and it was not his regular drink. The aroma was strong, almost as though it was lulling him in.

   The stranger took a glass and swirled the contents around. He took a sniff before drawing a long sip, a delighted sigh escaped his lips, and he nodded at Sehun, “Come on now. Don’t be shy.”

   “Who are you?” Sehun asked carefully. Every fibre of his body was telling him to run, but this man’s presence was strong, almost as strong as Luhan’s. It was keeping him rooted to the spot.

   The man laughed again, “I’m so sorry, I should have introduced myself first.” He stood up, straightening his slim fitted suit jacket, “My name is Junmyeon of the Kim family.” He held his hand out, “It’s a pleasure to formally meet you.”

   But Sehun could not return the handshake. Vampires did not walk around openly like this, even he and Luhan kept themselves under the radar at Greyfleur despite living there for several years because tensions were still too high between the two races. There was something not right about this man.

   “Look at you, all on edge,” Junmyeon chuckled. He held his hands up, “I’m not here to cause trouble. I just wanted to talk to you.”

   “Talk about what?” asked Sehun.

   Junmyeon looked at him, pointedly, “First, will you sit and give me the pleasure of your company tonight?”

   Even though Sehun’s instincts were telling him to leave, there was something oddly inviting about Junmyeon. It wasn’t as though Sehun wanted to return home so soon anyway. What hurt could it do to listen to him? Carefully, he sat back down.

   “Thank you,” Junmyeon raised his glass to Sehun before taking another sip.

   Sehun pushed his own glass away, “So, what do you want?”

   “Well, I’m here to ask why such a remarkable vampire like yourself is all alone in such an unremarkable place like this. You see, Sehun. I was passing through this town, but I felt your presence, calling out like a beacon of despair. Imagine my surprise to find you here; just like finding a pearl an oyster. I must be a lucky man,” smiled Junmyeon.

   Sehun looked around, anxious at how loudly Junmyeon was talking.

   “Oh don’t worry. We won’t be bothered tonight,” said Junmyeon.

   All of a sudden, Sehun became acutely aware that they were not alone. It was faint, but he could feel four or five other vampires hidden in the crowd, watching over them from unseen shadows. Cautiously, he turned back to Junmyeon.

   “How did you know my name?” he asked.

   “Our fathers were friends once. Before the war, of course. I’ve heard many things about your family, Sehun. The pureblood community is, after all, rather small,” Junmyeon said, “So, again, what brings you here tonight?”

   “Nothing. Just didn’t want to go home,” muttered Sehun.

   “Did you have a fight with someone at home?” asked Junmyeon, “Is that why I sense so much despair from you?”

   Sehun shrugged, “Kind of.”

   “And is it to do with the other strong vampire that I can sense in this town?”

   Sehun narrowed his eyes, “You ask a lot.”

   Junmyeon only chuckled in response, unfazed by Sehun’s coldness, “What if I told you I could take all your misery away?” He paused, “What if I told you that you could come live with us in the City of Ell’ris, where you both belong?”

   Sehun shook his head at the mention of the City of Ell’ris. It was an exclusive vampire city that lay north of the Capital, formed a year after the Great War as a place for vampires to find refuge. Luhan and himself had lived there for a year but they inevitably left, unable to survive in the crowded and dirty slums that had plagued the city. There were no happy memories in the City of Ell’ris and they hadn’t been back since.

   “No, thank you.”

   Junmyeon watched Sehun with curious eyes, “What if I told you that you can become stronger? That I can give you anything your heart desires?” He paused for a moment, his lips, “What if I told you that I could set you free?”

   Freedom.

   Sehun hadn’t had true freedom in almost ten years.

   “I can give you everything, if you come with me,” said Junmyeon, his gaze never turning away.

   “I can’t just leave, I have too many things left to do,” said Sehun, stubbornly.

   “Like what, my dear?”

   Sehun bit his lip. It had been a while since he’d spoken so much. Ever since he’d had that fight with Luhan, they hadn’t been on speaking terms. Sehun would go out early in the morning and return home late into the night just to avoid talking to him, and it wasn’t like he had many friends to talk

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter