24: Bloodthirst

❉ The Lost Years
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
  24: Bloodthirst

 

 

   “What?” Baekhyun spluttered, “Where?”

   Flashes of Jeongri’s face popped up in his mind, each one fighting desperately for his attention. Where had she been the last month? And how had she survived? Every memory of their friendship tugged violently at his feelings like a hurricane of turbulent emotions.

   “Don’t be late!” Mori shouted, checking her watch once more before skipping off.

   “What’s going on?” asked Chanyeol.

   Baekhyun turned to see Chanyeol jog over. He looked surprised by the sudden appearance and disappearance of their mutual friend.

   “Get your clothes, you’re getting discharged,” said Baekhyun, bluntly.

   Standing up, he pressed the release form into Chanyeol’s hands without looking at him. Somewhere in Baekhyun’s heart, there was a sliver of hope at knowing she was alive, but it was overshadowed by overbearing fear. If the HLV was after Jeongri, that meant she was in grave danger. Baekhyun didn’t want to hurt her again. He just couldn’t.

   “What?” Chanyeol questioned, thoroughly confused, “Why? I’ve got surgery for my shoulder tomorrow.”

   “CC’s orders,” parroted Baekhyun, unable to find better words, “They found her Chanyeol.”

   “Oh…” said Chanyeol. He surveyed Baekhyun’s expression carefully, “So, Jeongri’s alive?”

   Baekhyun could only nod.

   “What are you thinking?”

   Chanyeol’s question had been blunt with a hint of accusation.  

   Baekhyun shook his head, trying to mask his conflicting emotions, “Nothing, just… nothing.”

   Chanyeol gave him a deep frown but bit his tongue. He grabbed his towel and walked away, leaving Baekhyun alone, staring gormlessly into the sky.

   Mori, Dohyun, Eunseo, Hyesoo; they were all elite ranked soldiers just like himself and Chanyeol. Baekhyun didn’t know how many more elite soldiers were going to be involved in this mission. If they were all as strong as the aforementioned soldiers, Jeongri wouldn’t stand a chance.

 

 

   Baekhyun straightened his uniform nervously, running his hands down the familiar black material. He didn’t remember much of the last hour, it was like a blur, his body had gone into automatic mode while getting ready for the briefing. To his side, Chanyeol leant against the doors of the conference room, carefully observing his partner.

   “Baekhyun?”

   Baekhyun snapped out of his thoughts and looked up, “Yeah?”

   “You’ve been quiet ever since Mori came along,” Chanyeol said, “Are you okay?”

   “I’m fine,” deflected Baekhyun.

   “Are you ready to do this?” asked Chanyeol.

   “Do what?”

   Chanyeol stared at him, “Since when did you hide things from me?”

   “I’m not-” Baekhyun paused.

   It was a lie, and he knew it. Chanyeol deserved to know. He pulled Chanyeol to one side, away from the hoards of high ranking soldiers who were milling steadily into the conference room.

   Lowering his voice, Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol, “I’m not fighting her again.”

   “We can’t go against orders, Baekhyun,” said Chanyeol, “They’ll lock us away for treason.”

   “I’m not asking you to join me,” said Baekhyun, “This is my own choice.”

   Chanyeol was glaring at him now, and it made him feel uncomfortable.

   “She almost killed me, I hope you remember that.”

   There was a tense silence that seemed to force a wall in between the two old friends.

   “And I almost killed her,” returned Baekhyun.

   Instantly, Baekhyun regretted his tone, and he pulled on Chanyeol’s arm to stop him from walking away.

   “I’m sorry, Chanyeol. What I meant to say is that yes, I remember what she did and it was wrong. But what we did was also wrong...” Baekhyun’s voice trailed off, “Despite all odds, we all survived that ty day, and she’s out there somewhere.”

   “Your point being?” asked Chanyeol, rolling his eyes in frustration.

   “She was our friend, Chanyeol,” said Baekhyun, “And from the looks of the people here, she’s not gonna make it past tonight. It’s stupid, but I feel like fate is giving me a second chance to remedy the past. If I really get a chance to see her again, I’m not fighting her.”

   Baekhyun waited in baited silence for his partner’s response. He knew what he was saying was insane, given how violent their confrontation was the last time they met, but he needed Chanyeol to understand. They all grew up together. Baekhyun couldn’t ignore fate if it brought them together for a second time.

   “So fate is telling you this?” asked Chanyeol after a long silence. He raised one eyebrow before adding, “Or is your heart telling you this?”

   Baekhyun faltered for a moment, caught off guard by his comment.

   “My heart?” he asked.

   Chanyeol shook his head, rolling his eyes in the process.

   “You’re still such an idiot to your own feelings.”

   Before Baekhyun could ask what Chanyeol meant, they both felt a hard slap on their backs. Baekhyun jumped to find Minseok grinning brightly at the both of them. His festive jumper was gone, replaced by his official uniform.

   “What are you two doing hiding over here?” Minseok asked loudly, beaming positively at both of them.

   Chanyeol let out a startled laugh, “Minseok hyung!” he turned to hug him,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter