Seven

Sweetest Devotion
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yonghwa was awoken by some noise. He tried to open his heavy eyes and realized that Joohyun was not on the bed. He took some time to recollect his sense then remembered what Joohyun had said to him the night before.

She would try preparing breakfast for both of them started from this morning.

He smiled widely after remembering that. He was so curious what she was doing at that time. He then stood up and walked towards the bathroom to wash his face.

The moment he arrived at the kitchen, he saw Joohyun who looked so serious and focused on what she was doing. He realized that her nostrils were widening and concluded that it should be because she was in full concentration. And he couldn't help to laugh in the end.

The laugh made Joohyun finally realized his presence.

“Morning, Joohyun-ahh,” Yonghwa greeted her casually after that.

But when he was about to walk closer, she suddenly said, “Stop right there, Oppa. Don’t come closer, jebal. I’m already stressed enough since early morning. Please don’t add more nervousness to me or I won’t ever finish preparing the breakfast for you.”

She said that with a very serious tone. Yonghwa was stunned at first. He was surprised but Joohyun really looked so stressed at that time. He tried not to laugh, but couldn’t hold it in the end.

“Ahrasso…ahrasso. Just take your time. I’ll take a bath first,” he said that as he was still chuckling.

She is really so cute, jinjja…he said to himself inwardly, couldn’t take how cute his wife was at that time.

“I hope you won’t be too stressed out, Joohyun-ahh. I’ll eat everything you’ve prepared. So please, don’t worry,” he said that before he really left the kitchen to take a bath.

While showering, he couldn't help to smile again. He knew that his wife was still learning how to cook since she didn’t cook so often all this time. He was actually okay if he should prepare all foods for both of them since he likes cooking too. But Joohyun insisted that it was her responsibility to make sure her family got proper food. And Yonghwa wanted to support Joohyun’s innocent wish. So he let her do what she wanted in the end.

After finished showering, Yonghwa came back to the kitchen. He was ready to go to the office too. Fortunately, Joohyun already finished cooking the breakfast.

Joohyun placed a bowl of porridge on the table in front of him. Yonghwa then tried to guess what kind of porridge that was. But she suddenly said, “It may look different but it’s abalon juk for sure, Oppa.”

Yonghwa was stunned again because of that but then he chuckled.

Joohyun really looked so worried.

“Aigoo…Joohyun-ahh. Gwenchana. I know it’s abalone juk from the first time I lay my eyes on it,” He told her wife a white lie in the end. “But have you tasted it?”

Joohyun didn’t realize that Yonghwa was teasing her and just nodded in nervousness. It made Yonghwa chuckling again.

Yonghwa then took a spoon of the juk and tasted it. Joohyun was still looking at him worriedly. It made him consider whether he should tell her honestly or not.

“Hmm…it’s a little bit bland. But gwenchana. It’s really okay for the first time,” Yonghwa decided to tell her an honest opinion since she already tasted it beforehand and might already realize it too.

“Jeongmalyo? Daenghida…I thought it’ll be so awful.” And she looked so content with the opinion. She then pushed a plate of overcooked gyeran mari, that were also made by her, closer to him and said, “Try this too, Oppa.” She suddenly looked so excited.

Yonghwa felt so relieved seeing that because he was actually afraid that he would say the wrong answer.

“You don’t know how nervous I was since last night because it is the first time for me in making breakfast for someone besides my parents,” Joohyun added as she was still smiling widely.

“Even to your exes?” Yonghwa again.

“Ne, even to my exes. So, you’re the first one, Oppa,” she replied confidently.

“Aigoo…I’m so honoured,” Yonghwa said again as he was chuckling.

“Of course, you should,” and Joohyun ended it with a proud tone then laughed too.

They enjoyed the breakfast in a bright mood after that. Yonghwa was so happy seeing her happy like that too. He missed eating the breakfast together like this since he lives so far from his family for such a long time.

“So what will you make for the lunch?” Yonghwa then asked her plan for lunch.

“Hmm…I’ll try making doenjang jjigae,” she said simply as she took another spoon of abalone juk from her second bowl. Her appetite was really no joke. But Yonghwa didn’t mind it at all. He loves seeing her so genuine in front of him like that.

“Good. Just don’t forget to send the picture to me,” he replied simply.

“Again?” she asked in horror.

"Ohh yes, and don't you dare to send me some random pictures from internet because I will know it for sure," Yonghwa added calmly that made Joohyun laughed so hard in the end.

He liked hearing her sweet laugh. He just hoped that he would always protect that laugh of her…for the rest of their life.

Yonghwa then bade her goodbye to go to his office after finishing the breakfast. He felt like he should do something besides telling her “I’m going, Joohyun-ahh”. But he didn’t know what exactly he should do. So they just stood there awkwardly.

“I’ll send the picture to you,” Joohyun was trying to break the awkwardness in the end. It made Yonghwa suddenly felt so stupid for not saying anything.

“Ne, and thank you so much for the breakfast, Joohyun-ahh,” he repeated what he had said to her too in the end and made Joohyun laughed awkwardly.

But he still loved hearing it, her awkward laugh.

He bade her goodbye again in the end and Joohyun waved at him in return.

Yonghwa couldn’t help to feel so stupid again when he was in office. He acted as if he was a teenager again if he was with Joohyun. But that kind of feeling was making him so happy. If he knew that marriage life would be like this, he would consider getting married early from the beginning.

But then a sudden thought hit his sense. He didn’t remember when the last time he thought about her. Joohyun and their baby really have diverted his life these past weeks. And at that time, he finally remembered her…Shinhye.

He felt so guilty. He knew that it was Shinhye who wanted a break for their relationship. But he still felt like he betrayed her, even though he didn’t regret what had happened between him and Joohyun. He never thought it was a mistake. He believed that it was a destiny for him, Joohyun, and Shinhye.

He looked at his phone again after that, considering something.  He took several minutes in silence before he decided to type something to Shinhye.

He knew that the chance of Shinhye read his message was so small. She always turned off from social world everytime she was in preparation for the competition. Her parents always complained about this too, but she insisted that it was the best way for her to be focused.

I just hope she will understand…he prayed inwardly the moment he pressed the send button on his phone.

But then his phone vibrated right after that. He felt like his heart skipped a beat because of that. He looked at the monitor, and smiled widely after knowing whose name on it.

Joohyun just sent him a picture of doenjang jjigae. Yonghwa didn’t think twice to call her right away.

“So, is it success?” he asked her right after she answered the call.

“It’s a little bit bland…again. Fortunately, it’s just for me,” she replied weakly.

Yonghwa chuckled again because of that. “Really? But after I saw the picture, I really – really want to try it too,” he said what he really thought at that time honestly. He really wanted to try it.

“I just made it for one portion. But I’ll make it again tomorrow if you want it. I got more confident after making it once,” she said that cheerfully. Yonghwa suddenly could imagine how excited she was at that time.

They talked for some minutes after that, before Joon entered his room and asked him to have late lunch together. He then ended the conversation with Joohyun.

“Who were you talking to?” Joon asked curiously while they were walking together towards the parking lot.

“My wife,” he said simply as he couldn’t help to smile widely.

“Aiisshh, how dare you show me that face!” Joon said in annoyance. “But I haven’t met your buin. When will you introduce me to her?”

Yonghwa just chuckled after that. Joon was his closest best friend, beside Jonghyun. He knew his real situation with Joohyun. But Joon was right, he hadn’t gotten the chance to introduce them to each other.

“Soon. I’ll introduce you to her soon,” he promised Joon in the end.

And when he was eating his lunch, his phone vibrated again, indicating a new message just received.

Joohyun just sent a new picture to him. And after he opened it, it was a picture of seafood spaghetti, with the caption

I don’t know what to do. So I tried making it for our dinner. This one is very successful.

Yonghwa laughed hard after reading it, until Joon asked, “Wae?”

But he didn’t reply him and called Joohyun instead.

“But dinner is still five hours to go, Joohyun-ahh,” he said that to the point, the moment Joohyun picked his call.

“Don’t worry. I’ll heat it up for you later.”

And Yonghwa laughed harder because of that. Joohyun was really unpredictable. She was always success making him laugh with her straightforwardness.

“Wae – wae – wae?” Joon became more curious but Yonghwa was still laughing and ignored him.

 

***

 

One week later

“This is too thick,” Joohyun commented on the pancake. She felt unsatisfied with what she had made for their breakfast that morning.

“But it’s good,” Yonghwa replied calmly. As always, he would be okay with everything she had made. He was so kind by never complained and finished all foods that were prepared for him.

But this time, it didn’t cheer her up. It seems like her mood swing was coming back.

“Don’t be too harsh to yourself, Joohyun-ahh. You’re doing good. Gwenchana,” Yonghwa added after he saw her sulky face.

Joohyun took a deep breath after that. Yonghwa was right. She shouldn’t be like that because she would go to the school for a meeting that day. The class would be started in two weeks. So, she shouldn’t let her mood down this morning.

Actually, Yonghwa usually went to office at 8 AM, but Joohyun should be at school at 7 AM that day. That was why she didn’t have enough time to prepare the breakfast for both of them.

“I’ll change first,” Yonghwa said that after he finished the breakfast.

Joohyun looked at the clock. It was still 6 AM. She frowned because of that then asked, “But this is too early, Oppa.”

“I’ll drive you to school,” he replied simply then stood up and walked to their bedroom.

Joohyun was stunned at first. Feeling so touched by his offer but uneasy at the same time. She knew that Yonghwa was a caring husband. But she didn’t want to trouble him too. This was too early for him to go to office.

After five minutes, Joohyun knocked the bedroom door.

“Ne, just come in,” Yonghwa shouted from the inside and Joohyun opened the door after that. She saw him was busy wearing the tie.

“I can go by bus, Oppa. Gwenchanayo, jeongmalyo,” Joohyun said to the point as she sat on the bed.

Yonghwa then turned to her to say something directly. “I hope you’ll stop feeling uneasy for everything I do for you, Joohyun-ahh. You’re not troubling me. And I’m really happy to be helpful to you. It hurt me a bit everytime you start refusing my sincerity,” he said carefully.

THUMP!!!

Joohyun was so surprised. She didn’t realize that her refusal, that actually because she didn’t want to trouble him, hurt him in the end. She felt so guilty.

“Mianhaeyo, Oppa. I didn’t mean to hurt you. I just didn’t want to trouble you. You’ve pampered me so much. I just feel uneasy,” she apologized in the end and tried to explain her reason to him.

She saw him took a deep breath because of that. He then walked closer and sat on the bed beside her.

“I know, Joohyun-ahh. But it’s okay to trouble me whenever you need me. As I’ve said to you, I’m so happy to be helpful for you. So, can you start accepting my help without refuse it from now on?” Yonghwa added with a gentle tone that started making Joohyun’s heart thumped rapidly.

She was not sure, it was because of guilty feeling or Yonghwa’s tone, but she needed to rub her baby bump to calm her heartbeat in the end.

“Ne, Oppa. Mianhaeyo,” she answered him, still with a guilty tone.

Yonghwa chuckled because of that. “Aigoo…don’t be sad, jebal. I’m not scolding you. Mianhae. I just want you not to feel uneasy for all I do,” he said that as he still laughed.

“Ne, Oppa. I’m so sorry for not being considerate to your feeling too,” she explained why she felt guilty too as she smiled at him.

“So, it’s clear then. Are we okay?” Yonghwa asked again to make sure they were okay after this.

Joohyun just giggled because of that. “Is that our first quarrel?” she asked back that made Yonghwa laughed too.

They then went to the school together. Yonghwa really tried his best to melt their tension in the car. And Joohyun didn’t feel so sad and guilty anymore.

“What time is the meeting finished?” Yonghwa asked while Joohyun was releasing the seat belt.

“It’s usually finished at 4 or 5 PM,” Joohyun was not sure what time the meeting would be finished. But for the meeting preparation before new semester started, they usually held it until late afternoon.

“Okay then, I’ll be here at 4 PM. Wait for me and don’t go home alone, ahrasso?”

Joohyun was about to argue, but she remembered that Yonghwa will be so hurt if she refused him again. Besides, he was right. It was no harm to be pampered by her own husband, right?

“Ahrassoyo, Oppa. I’ll wait,” she agreed in the end. And Yonghwa looked so happy hearing it.

It was so easy to make him happy actually. It was just her who was not used to be pampered by him yet.

Joohyun then bade him goodbye before went out of the car. Yonghwa gave her a wide smile too before he started the car engine and drove away.

The meeting was finished at 4 PM, as Joohyun had predicted. She then sent a message to Yonghwa to tell him that. But he called her not long after that.

“Mian, Joohyun-ahh. I’m still in Incheon right now. Our client suddenly asks us to do a meeting. Can you wait for about two hours?” he asked in a guilty tone.

Joohyun didn’t reply him right away. She took several seconds before saying, “Can I go home alone, Oppa? I’m really okay to take public transportation, and I’ll be careful.”

And it was Yonghwa’s turn to take several seconds before saying, “I’ll be so worried if I let you go home alone, but I don’t want to make you wait too long either.”

Joohyun giggled because of his answer. She sometimes couldn’t understand why he should be worried. She was just pregnant, not terminally ill. But she didn’t want to make him worried too.

“I’ll take a cab, Oppa. Don’t worry,” she said calmly, hoping he would feel less worried since she wouldn’t bump with so many people.

And Yonghwa took longer time to decide after that, before finally said, “Okay then. Please tell me if you’re already at home. And you really have to take a cab, not bus, ahrasso?”

“Ne, Oppa. I will. You can continue your meeting and don’t worry about me. I’ll be careful. I promise,” she replied cheerfully. Yonghwa just chuckled before he ended their conversation.

She felt so happy because she finally could make Yonghwa let her went home alone. It was true that sometimes the hormone made her wanted to be pampered. But sometimes she felt so uneasy because of Yonghwa’s kindness too.

But it didn’t turn out to be what she expected. She waited for almost thirty minutes but she still couldn’t get any empty cab.

It’ll be easier if I took a bus from the beginning…she said inwardly. Suddenly became impatient, waiting for the cab, while the third bus that was heading to Yonghwa’s apartment passed by her again.

She looked at her wristwatch. She was sure that Yonghwa would call in any minute to make sure she was already on the way.

But then, she suddenly got a risky idea. It was not too risky actually. But it meant that she broke her promise to her husband.

She was considering to take a bus instead of a cab. As long as Yonghwa didn’t know, it would be okay. She just needed to be at home soon.

Let’s just wait ten minutes more…she said inwardly to herself.

But even after fifteen minutes later, no empty cab passed by her. She then took a deep breath and walked to the bus

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter