Sliver Spoon

A Woman's Worth

He hadn't expected much to change, his parents have threatened to marry him off so many times. It didn't even faze him anymore. He would comply and go the match maker, meet the girl and within a month the girl's family would call it off. 

Not of any fault if his own, it was his own parents who scared them off with their outdated bride training. His mom would teach the girl how to prepare for their idea of marriage and the girls would run off due how impossibly hard it was.

He's told his parents many times that they should drop the training and just let the girl inherit the money once they gotmarried. No girl who grew up in the 90's wanted to learn to be a old bride.

They wanted to live as modern as they could and Tao didn't blame them he didn't want to live like his family. He wanted to travel and do as he please for as long as he was young and handsome. Why would he want to marry so young in the first place?

He knew that the girl they chose would only last a month or two before running back to whatever country she came from. So he didn't worry much about, he would still go off when he felt like it, finance or not.

"Honey, comb your hair. She'll be here soon" his mom said shuffling around the house, getting the already clean hallway straightened out.

Tao rolled his eyes, he didn't see why his mom was so worked up, she was just a dumb spoiled girl who thought she and her family were going to get a huge win fall.
He took pleasure in seeing potential bride number 4 fall in defeat and high tail it home.

 He didn't want to hear his Mom's mouth so he did as she asked, it was least he could do after all he was planning on going out after meeting the girl anyway. In his mind he was killing a bird or three with one stone.

 His father waved him over to stand next to him, like his mother his father was also on edge he was also acting like this was Tao's last hope. Like he was some old ugly chick in a poor family, he could not believe how anxious they were. It was making him feel a certain way.

The door man let in the maid who was pulling in a wheeled suit case, a small girl with soft cinnamon coloured skin, massive curly hair walked in behind her.

Tao silently gawked at her, he made a note to ask her where she was from. in a way his parents took his ideal of y foreign girls a bit too far. She probably didn't even speak Mandarin, he thought to himself. Though he didn't bulk at the idea of teaching her.

The girl stood in front of him, he could see the tiny black dots on her cheeks and on her nose, tiny imperfections on her otherwise exotic skin.

Tao please welcome Jaid properly" his mother was suddenly at his side, tugging on his jacket.

"Hi" Tao said in a tone, he held out his hand to shake Hers

She looked confused and shook his hand too, he forgot she couldn't speak Mandarin.

"I mean hello" he said in English.

Her face lit up when when he changed to something she could understand.

"Hello I'm Jaid but call me Jai. Nice to meet you" she greeted him back.

This shocked Tao, he voice was deep buy soft like velvet, she had accent of Europe but she was wrapped in brown luxury. He wonder why in the world he was acting like this. She was just another spoil rich girl who would be running back home to her daddy's castle.

He knew he had to leave and hand out with some sassy Shanghai ladies. He felt athat if he stayed around her for too long, he too would fall for her subtle European charms.

His. Mother seemed so excited, she and the housekeepr scuttled out of the front entrance for a few minutes, leaving Tao to his inner turmoil while Jai looked around unsure of herself on such a big house.

This house was bigger than her family's penthouse in Victoria. Everything from the walls to the floor was covered in green and blue Jade marble. The kind of stuff you'd see in fancy bathrooms in luxury hotels in Sydney.

Tao grabbed her hand, Jai was a little taken back by his sudden behavior. A moment ago he was just staring at her and spacing out, now his eyes are sharp as daggers as if he had some type of seriousness behind them, she didn't understand where all this is coming from.

"Please don't get to comfortable." He says, his English perfect but filled with malice in some type of soft hatred.

"Um excuse you" Jai was starting to get angry.  she thought he was a nice guy who was most likely shy around women but now she was seeing a of his true self and she didn't like it. He was much too aggressive for her taste.

She snatched back her hand and walked away from him, to rue in his own confusion.

Tao usually didn't care if he made his potential Brides uncomfortable by the things he said, but at this moment he was five minutes from tearing his hair out feeling like a jerk for the way he was behaving towards her. 

His mother walked back in with the housekeeper they had silk robes in their hands. When she saw that Jai was  no longer near him, she gave him the stink eye as a warning not to mess this up for himself.

His mother set the robes in his hands and told him to give them to Jaid and explain how she is to wear them, to even dress her if he felt necessary to make sure she was wearing the robes correctly.

He could tell that it's another he could tell that it's a mother really wanted this to work out yo he could tell that his mother really wanted this to work out he could tell his mother was getting tired of waiting or her only son to be married.

As irritated as he was at the fact that he could not leave the house tonight, he went to go find Jaid in her new bedroom set up just for her.
He knocked loud enough for her hear and open the door, when she did he plopped the roses in her hands and told her change into them. He tried his best to tell her this what should be wearing for the first week of training, Jai started interrupting him.

"That's not why my parents sent me here, I'm  not here to be your damn new maid." She snapped at him.

"No one even said that" he snapped back

"Don't talk to me like that" she pouted

"It's my house, I speak how I like. Maybe you sholdn't get an attitude with me. Because I can always send you back"

Jai pulled a face and slammed the door in his.

Then Tao remembered why he only briefly dated Foreign women, they had attitude. 

A few minutes later Jai opened the door, she was dressed iin his family's scale robes, granted it wasn't fastened or properly tied but he admired how it complimented her warm skin.

"Let me help you" he said and she turned around, letting him fix it for her.

"I'm sorry." He whispered 

"Why?"

"Because we're both over our head, and it's only going to get worst" he explained as calmly as he could, his heart was racing.

When everything was in place, Tao backed up and gazed too long at the bow he made then her firm bottom before dashing off in embarrassment.

He didn't understand what was coming over him, he was right. A little time with other women would clear his head.