Unneeded Tensions

A Woman's Worth

She wasn't sure why she sat in bed waiting to hear his shoes against the floor, she could of easily went to bed she was tired. But instead she just sat up, scrolling through her phone watching her so called friend live on without her.

That hit her deeply, they weren't even worried about her, they were too busy live streaming Kelly's summer party. Celebrating about the graduation she never got to attend. Putting her back in academic limbo 

They were smiling and happy. She stared blankly at the feed, fighting back her jealously and loneliness. She was lonely and engaged to a self-righteous . She couldn't believe her luck, she was barely a real adult and she as someone's future wife. 

Yes the perks of getting married to Tao were great but she knew nothing about him and she had to train and practice to be his wife. It hardly seemed worth the money and what not. Plus he was a jerk, he spoke to her in any manner he chose to. He said was unpleasant to be around.

'He tried to kiss you'

She shook her head, he surely didn't mean it. He was caught up in whatever that was happening between them. 

She felt her cheeks warm up as she thought of her laying her head on his chest..his shoulder.

She suddenly needed to move around, her whole face was getting heated, her mind was filling the blanks of what his skin looked like, if he had had toned shoulders or if he was solid.
Not of that mattered, he was horrible.

There was noise from outside her room, Tao was home. She took a deep breath and opened her door slowly so she didn't alert him...

That was a mistake. Tao and someone were still in the door way, saying goodbye in hushed tones and soft laughs. Jai's stomach clenched with anxiety. Tao was whispering in the girls ear, she could only make out a little  but it was mostly slurred Canto and English.

"Be a good girl...I can't...Night love"

Jai felt her teeth grind, she never felt so disrespected in her life and she didn't even like him.

He ran his hands through his hair, pulling on the longer section of his hair. He kicked off his shoes and didn't bothered with the slippers at all, he instead walked on the marble with bare dirty feet.

He caught a glimpse  of Jai dressed in her pink buttoned up pyjamas, her hair all disheveled with what looked like sleep. Her face looked a mess of emotions he was to drunk to deal with.

"Why aren't you asleep?" He asked his voice was fading from lack of water.

"Who-"

"I don't wanna talk about that."

"Well I do"

"Too bad then. I'm tired "

"Where did you go?"

He laughed as quietly as he could "Look at you playing little wife already"

"I'm not"

"It suits you but I'm not the mood. Just be happy I came home"

"What's that supposed to mean? I was waiting for you"

He looked at her like the incarnate of Hydra. He couldn't believe she was being serious, she waited two hours for him while he did he please in the city. He suddenly got a bad feeling.

"I'm sorry then. I'm really tired Jai. And maybe I should be more with you" he sighed, she was making this hard. "I'm not interested in getting married. I have no intention to make you my wife, feel free to fail the training and go back to Australia"

She nodded in what he thought in agreement. She turned around and closed her door silently. He hated that he had to be so blunt but he couldn't have her ruining his fun or making him feel more confused than he already felt. Her face looked so disappointed though. 

       The morning came faster than she wanted, with last night still being fresh and stinging. She knew she would have to be up and dressed before madam Liu knocked on the door.
But was the point now, he made it clear as crystal that he didn't want to married. and to be honest she as only bummed out because a guy rejected her, clearly he had no taste but being rejected by a loser .

If she didn't do well would they send her home like he said. She began to wonder if she should test his theory out or not.

The timely knock made Jai rush to door, she greeted madam Liu and followed her into the kitchen. She was to get the morning coffee ready and breakfast wear ready. Then she needed to set the shoes out for Junior and Senior.

Jai was tempted to put a tack in his sneaker, she could imagine that smug punk slipping her foot in and stabbing his heel with sharp point. She would smile then rush over to comfort him in front of his mother of course, whilst feeding on his agony.

She also thought about slipping a laxative pill in his coffee, ruining his plan for the day. Oh how her mind thought of hilarious ways to punish him for making a fool of her. It was petty but it was thing pride that wouldn't let this slide.

Maybe she should do well on purpose and make his life a living hell as well.

"Why are you smiling? We still need to practice writing thank you cards in formal Mandrin." Madam Liu looked like she was about to smack her with her puzzle book "if we hurry we can be done before your husband wakes up."

"Oh right" she followed her into the study to begin the stupid thank you cards for senior's company guest. Jai didn't see why she needed to write them when senior had working healthy hands. Jai barely spoke proper French how could she learn to write and speak in Mandrin and Cantonese?

"I know that look, she spoiled child doubt your ability. If your going to get married you need to be able to strong willed and less self important."

"Im-"

"Save it, You think you are the first insecure girl I taught? Your no different from them" the harsh woman peeked at the now crestfallen Jai "but at least you want to learn. Your nearly like Mother Huang"

Jai looked up at the lady who was drinking her coffee and studying her puzzle game. She was like Mother Huang? She wondered if madam Liu had trained her as well. 

"No slacking, earn your marriage"

What a strange thing to say, Jai felt herself wanting to laugh at the old lady.

       He was too "sick" to leave the house today, her only time to be away from him was snatched from her and to make it worst. She had to check on him to make sure he was doing okay, aka making sure he didn't choke on his sick in his sleep. It was like fate was purposely stringing bher along. 

Was it pay back from thinking mean thoughts about him this morning because she was ready to beg forgiveness at church if that was thing.

His mother seem to take pleasure in this. She told Jai that she was lucky, she apparently didn't get take care of her sick husband until a year into their marriage and she was with a perfect opportunity  so soon.

Jai really wanted to bust her bubble and tell her Tao was just hung over was a possible alcoholic but she held her tounge and smiled smug as she helped prepare ginger tea for him.

When Mrs.Huang went to make her phone call, Madame Liu opened a jar or pickled seaweed and added it to the rice porridge on the stove cooking. "Good for hangovers" she said while smirking. Jai was glad she wasn't the only one seeing what was really going on.

"Don't mind her, she can't see her own son struggling. Be good to him ...even if he is rude boy"

Her thick accent made the insult absolutely adorable.

She really didn't want to serve his royal drunkness but eyes were on her and she wanted to rub the fact that his "wife " was here to help him get better. She could only imagine his annoyance.

She didn't bother to knock she just opened the door and set the tray on his lap. She sat on his bed with a coprophagous grin, Making him feel a bit unnerved.

"What did you do to my food?"

"What do mean hubby?" She said with a sickly sweet voice.

He narrowed his eyes at her before grabbing the sugar cubes for his tea. 

"No no Husband let me do that for you husband"

"Did you hit your head?"

"Your so silly "

She watched him intently as he drank his tea, never really blinking, smiling brightly. He suddenly felt off, her watching him like that was just so unnatural.

"Did you poison me?"

"Never"

"What is wrong with you"

She laughed "Just making sure my husband eats well."

"Stop calling me that"

"Husband?"

"YES!"

"why?

"Because it's  scary and I already told you how I feel"

She put her hands in her side pockets "It's not about you anymore. My family will go to ruin and I know you don't about what happens to us but I care about what happens to my family. So I'm going learn to be a old bride and marry your ungrateful self and help my family. Divorce you in two years and live in my dream house on my alimony"

Tao scoffed as he took a big scoop of his rice porridge. "There will be no divorce, So go ahead and be a old bride J. You won't be divorcing me."

Jai looked at in confusion, he looked at her with a look on his that showed he he was beyond serious but their was hint wicked playfulness in his eyes and lips.

"Guess your stuck with me forever Mrs.Huang" he smiled coldly.

Jai wish there was an abort mission button but if she backed down now, he would take her as someone to walk over.

Moving the trap out his way Tao walked over to Jai, she backed up at the sight of his cold eyes and twisted smile. When her back was against the wall, Tao towered over small body. She closed her eyes in fear of what he do next but didn't do anything but open his door and lower his face  to hers so they could be at equal eye line.

"I await your victory J but I won't be changing. Hope you don't mind we share with my mistress."

Jai snarled and ducked out of his room feeling ever so embarrassed. It was like he knew every move she making without her saying a word. She couldn't stand it. He called her bluff and challenged her to be his sodding wife, knowing that if she backed out she would have to go home a failure to parents who needed her help with this bail out.

She didn't know who to blame, Herself, her parents or Tao.

She couldn't believe her own life anymore.

  Later that evening Jai got a call from her Mum, with glee she answered on the first ring 

"Hello baby how is evething?" Her mom sounded excited to speak with her.

"Pretty okay, I'm getting to certain things but it's all okay, how you and Daddy?"

"Pretty good. The Huang family has already bailed four of our major banks. Press is still being snoopy though"

The reality of it all began to set in for her, Tao's family had really began holding their end of the deal, who was she to put her own wishes before her family and their legacy..

"Mum can you tell the truth, why did you really send me here. Am I Tao's bride?" Jai decided to just be truthful and go straight towards getting a real answer. She was sure her own suspicions would be answered.

"Please try to understand, we did it for the family. It'll help everyone out in the end"

"By marrying me off to someone i never met"

"You met him before when you were smaller but it's not like he's a stranger"

"I was most likely a toddler Mum and he's a stranger to me. I never met him at proper age" Jai could feel herrself getting stressed as she spoke. She felt helpless hearing her mom make excuses.

"I understand how you feel. I wish things could be different but daddy and I are struggling"

"I bet you couldn't wait to get rid of me. Have I always been your rotten child?" Her voice choking on her words. "I have to go Mum. Thanks for calling"

"Jaid wait. We love you." Jai had hung up before she could hear her mom make up any more lies.

As Jai wiped her array tears, a knock on her door startled her, it was Tao of all people.

He didn't say anything, he just watched for a moment before approaching her. " Sorry for intruding but this came in the mail for you."

He handed her two envelopes, one tan with international stamps and one blue and slightly ornate , instead of leaving hewaited for her to open them.

The tan one was her diploma from her old high school. She smiled softly down at it before placing it on her. The next one was enrollment acceptance letter from what looked like a top schools in China.

"Could you read it to me" she asked handing him the letter.

"Dear Ms.Langston, We look forward to your presence at our humble school,May the summer threat you well, see you in the fall"

"You enrolled me in school?" Her voice still quivering from holding in tears.

"No my father did, so thank him when you get a chance"

He could of left but he didn't and that confused her. She wanted to tell him to leave but she didn't want to be alone.

Not sure what to do Tao nodded and left the room but hovered near the door. He could bear her sniffling inside. He hated seeing women cry, it was one of his weakness. He wanted comfort her but he didn't want to give her the wrong idea, so he told her through the cracked door he would stand by the door until she fell asleep.

Jai should of felt grosses out but she didn't. She felt comforted knowing he was near by and that she wasn't alone.

"This a one time offer" he said trying to sound tough.

"Goodnight"

"Nite"he whispered softly to himself.