Practice makes perfect

A Woman's Worth

While his mother, father and Jai eat dinner down stairs Tao laid in bed resting his head. He woke up with his head spinning from  last night's drink.

He had woke up from a nigmare and drunk himself to sleep, he knew he was pathetic but he didn't care anymore. He found himself in a state of apathy night after night. This was his new normal. Wake up,drink,wake up,drink.

With Sojin's death anniversary approaching he continue to spiral in apathy. He was depressed.

He listened carefully for the footsteps to fade, meaning everyone was done cleaning their plates and was going to retire to their respective rooms soon. He would sneak out of his room to grab a plate of whatever his mother had made for dinner or he could always order out.

He just wanted to eat alone and wallow in his pity, Too bad the solitude he craved was out of the question. Jai was sitting on the kitchen counter eating carrots and celery sticks. She had her earbuds in humming along to a song Tao couldn't hear.

She didn't see him watching her from the hall. He watched with slight curiosity, this was the woman whom he was to marry I'm year and while she was cute she was something else. She was oddly determined and said what she pleased. At first he wrote it off as her just being a foreigner but he knew that wasn't the case with her as he continue to be around her.

He strolled into the kitchen pretending he never watched it from the hallway. He pretended to not see her at first but she had her eyes dug into him.

"Most people greet other when they walk in occupied spaces" Jai said in Mandrin 

"Most people don't sound like Chinese text to speech"

"I'm still learning so" she coped a attitude with him.

"You don't have to so formal with me, well be seeing each other in a year"

Jai's eyes grew wide, heat colouring her brown freckled cheeks. " you"

Tao smirked at her,trying his best to stifle a laugh. Her face was so cute and priceless, he figured she was picturing his body unclothed. The way her face grew redder, her was probably right.

"What are you doing up so late?' she questioned 

"Same thing  as you"

Jai slid off the counter and went to the fridgerator bumping him as she opened the door. She reached inside and pulled out two plastic containers and a metal container. She told him to sit down at the table that she would serve him something to eat.

"You don't have to" he started but did she asked, his head was beginning to throb an argument was the last thing he wanted so late.

Jai had become graceful in her serving from her weeks of practice, served in formal way showing her politeness. Never letting him see the inside of her wrist. He was impressed but he would not encourage her learning process.

She sat down waiting for him to eat first, Jai was still not use to this but she wanted him to see that she was on his way to being his wife. When he picked up his chopstick to eat she did the same. Mirroring him like she was taught.
She felt nervous this was the first time they ever ate together alone, And in a way she wanted it to go over smoothly.

"I said you don't  have to serve me" he repeated softly. Jai ignore him as she began messing with her food. Why couldn't he just shut and eat. His mushy tone made her feel uncomfortable.

"I wanted to" Jai said just as softly.

They sat in silence eating in peace, in a way they didn't have to say thing. This was enough.

When they were done eating, Jai collected their plates and took them back into the kitchen to clean them. Like a wounded dog Tao followed her in and watched her wash their plates.

It was funny few weeks ago when she came here and she was a spoiled brat the expected everything to be done for her and now she was doing everything for him. It didn't make any sense, it's not like he deserve her kindness anyway.

No matter how kind she was to him, in his mind he was never going to marry her.

 He wanted to just stop but he knew she would never listen, she was strong headed like that.

He grew irritated looking at her back so he stood by her and took the plat she was cleaning away from her to rewash it himself.

"Your going to get everyone sick, have you never washed a dish before"

"You already know the answer" she said in a sarcastic tone.

"So useless what kind of wife will you be?" He smiled 

Jai blushed as she soaked in his comment, he was thinking of her as his wife. She gregw giddy being at his side..alone.

When the dishes were done Jai tried to excuse herself but Tao pulled on her sweater, keeping her from leaving.

"How about we have some ice cream" he says, his eyes were saying something else. Jai nodded and went to go get spoons while He grabbed the ice cream and bowls.

Jai had walked to the table when she noticed Tao was heading towars the hallway leading to his room. She could feel her face heating up as she followed him down the dim hallway to his room.

Before Tao open the door he turned to her and put his finger to his mouth telling her to be quiet, he only slowly opened it when she nodded.

He his TV and gave Jai the remote, granted she never learned all the channels for satellite she chose a movie set in France. It has Local region subtitles. She figured it was something they both could enjoy.

Tao said that the movie was boring and some how managed to put his head on her lap. Trying not make a big deal about it as his heart was beating hard. He glanced at her from his angle and admired her, even when she made strange faces at the movie. In her lap he felt safe enough to rest his mind and fall asleep. He didn't have think about the stress of tomorrow.

      An hour or so later Tao was woken up by Jai. She said her legs were getting sore and that she was going to her room. Tao feeling slightly panicked grabbed her hand, he put his finger to his lips and pulled her into his bed. Absolutely besides himself he kissed her forehead before tucking her head under his chin. He wrapped this arms around her and once again feel asleep.

Jai couldn't think properly at all. All she could think about was how happy she was in his arms and in his bed. Luke she won agaist all the girls he was seeing . For thisbrief moment he was hers, and she his. 

 

 

 

Author's Note

Had to get this scene out, I been dying for them to bond. But next chapter will be long and will fleshing out characters and I think you'll find it to be pretty interesting. Should be up in a few days due to length. Happy October.