Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?

Byulyi looked at her phone, it was 1:37AM and Wheein hadn’t responded to any of her messages. She unlocked her phone and typed in another message [I’m sorry.] to Wheein and sent it. 

After putting her phone away, she turned the faucet on again and splashed some more water on her face. felt dry and she knew better than to drink alcohol - at least not anymore than she had already. The tap water tasted metallic, but it didn’t bother her.

She took one last look in the mirror before walking out the door back into the club. The music hit her hard making her feel a bit disoriented. She prayed she didn’t throw up on this dance floor. 

The crowd of sweaty people dancing loomed in front of her, resembling a dense and impenetrable wall. 

‘Human beings in a mob.’ 

But if she wanted to find Wheein, she would have to force herself through it.
 
She figured Yongsun was who she should ask first - even if she didn’t know where Wheein was, she’d at least have some weed with her. Byulyi began pushing her way to the V.I.P. portion of at the other side of the club. It was located upstairs and looked over the entire club. It was a nice place to smoke out provided you were allowed to go in.
 
After what felt like a millennia (it had only been 7 minutes), she reached the velvet rope separating the V.I.P.’s from the P.’s. She was sweaty and out of breath from pushing through the crowd, but thankfully for her the bouncer recognized her and let her through. She stood at the bottom of the stairs and looked up – she really had not thought this through.
 
Her head was still cloudy, she’d sworn that she’d seen a horseman on the dancefloor, and the only thing keeping her upright was willpower - and she knew she didn’t have much of that. An Iggy Azalea1 song started playing and she was suddenly filled with determination. She gripped so tightly onto the handrail, her knuckles were white and her palms were red, and began slowly ascending the stairs.

About three-fourths of the way up, she looked down at the dancing crowd. It swirled and swayed different colors and shapes, making her dizzy and causing her to almost lose her footing. She managed to catch herself before falling down the stairs and cracking her head open.
 
‘“Here lies Moon Byulyi, she died crossfaded off her at some ty club falling down the stairs. A true loser.” What a great inscription for a tombstone.’ She thought, ‘What would my parent’s think? What would Wheein think.’
 
She couldn’t die now. Not while Wheein hated her. 

(Not while she hated herself.)
 
She stood and collected herself for a few minutes before pulling herself up the rest of the stairs. She looked around and spotted Yongsun (but not Wheein) at the end of the room with her girlfriend, Irene, on her lap and her boyfriend, Eric, with his arm draped around her. Byulyi knew they had a polyamorous relationship that worked very well for them (Yongsun had once told her that “love is cursed by monogamy” or something) but she always felt like Yongsun liked Irene more than she liked Eric. For example, Yongsun and Irene were speaking very animatedly right now, and Yongsun’s hands were glued onto Irene’s while Eric just dicked around on his phone. Nevertheless, this was powerful, no one controlled them and no one questioned their relationship. At least, not out loud.  
 
Byulyi decided to ask Yongsun if she’d seen Wheein. And then she’d ask if Yongsun had any weed. Yongsun noticed Byulyi and waved her over (Byulyi was surprised she noticed anything other than Irene’s body at this moment.) Thankfully, Byulyi had reached the point in her intoxication where her body was running on autopilot and doing more or less the right things.
 
She reached Yongsun and co. and said hello to Eric and Irene. Eric waved and went back to his phone, Irene blew her a kiss and cuddled up to Yongsun.
 
“Hey, Yongsun-unnie. What’s drugs, my dealer?” Byulyi heard herself say.
 
Yongsun frowned, “You always say that and it’s never as funny as you think it is, Byul.” Byulyi smiled and Yongsun shook her head, “Count your blessing that Irene’s sitting on my lap, or else I would’ve shoved my foot so far up your . Anyway, what’s up, Byul? Do you want some weed?”
 
“No.” Byulyi blurted and Yongsun quirked a brow. Byulyi never turned down weed, “Well, maybe. But, have you… Have you seen Wheein tonight?”
 
Yongsun stared hard at Byulyi who was now feeling uncomfortable and awkward under her gaze. “No, I haven’t. Are you looking for her?” Byulyi could only nod, “Why?”
 
“I just…” ‘Need her’, “Wanted to apologize to her.” Byulyi started squirming under Yongsun’s unwavering gaze.
 
Yongsun leaned back, “Maybe you should leave that girl alone, Byul.” Yongsun pulled a small baggie of weed out of the back pocket of Irene’s pants making Irene giggle. She held the baggie out to Byulyi, but when Byulyi reached for it, Yongsun snatched her hand back and stuffed the baggie in her bra. “And maybe you shouldn’t be high as when you’re apologizing to her. I’m surprised you even managed to get your up here.”
 
Byulyi swallowed hard and dropped her voice, “Yongsun-unnie, please. Just… If you see Wheein tonight, can you tell her I just want to talk to her, please?”
 
Yongsun sighed, “Fine, but only because I love you and hate how ing pathetic you look right now.”
 
Byulyi smiled so big she thought her face was going to spilt, “Thank you, unnie!”
 
Yongsun rolled her eyes and scoffed, but Byulyi saw the small smile on her lips, “Yeah, whatever.” Yongsun’s face suddenly turned dark, “But, Byul, if that girl gives you a second chance, you need to get your together. We both know she deserves better than…” Yongsun gestured at Byulyi, “This.”
 
Byulyi looked at the ground, “I know.” Was all she could say.
 
Yongsun leaned towards Byulyi, a scowl on her face, “And if you ever hurt that girl again, Moon Byulyi, I will not hesitate to beat that skinny of yours.”
 
Byulyi took a deep breath and looked Yongsun dead in the eye, “No amount of physical pain could ever hurt as much as the pain of losing Wheein.”
 
Yongsun leaned back and gave Byulyi an incredulous look, “Have you always been this emo? Or is this because you’re so high?” Yongsun pulled the bag of weed out of her bra and threw it at Byulyi. Byulyi’s reflexes failed her and the baggie hit her square in the face. Irene laughed and Yongsun groaned. Eric was still playing on his phone. “Just take that and go, okay?”
 
Byulyi bent down and picked up the bag and thanked Yongsun again. But the thanks went unnoticed, Yongsun and Irene were making out and Byulyi and her sad problems were long forgotten. 

‘What’s a mob to a king?’