The Mirror's Image

Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?

Byulyi splashed cold water on her face hoping it would lift some of the fogginess that clouded her head. The muffled club music blasting outside of the bathroom felt a lot farther away than usual. She stared into the mirror and saw someone she didn’t like; someone broken, someone sad, someone high off their , someone who just got dumped by the girl of her dreams.
 
A complete and total loser.
 
The image in the mirror got fuzzier the harder she stared; and the fuzzier it got, the more she could tolerate it – and herself. Soon, her head started throbbing from the strain of keeping her eyes open and she had to close her then to keep herself from throwing up in the sink. She gripped the sink hard and took deep breaths in an attempt to alleviate the pain.
 
She heard a toilet flush and a stall open. Someone the faucet next to her. She wished desperately that this person would get the hell out of here; her self loathing required isolation. 
 
Despite herself, she took another look in the mirror; her eyes were red like she had been crying (she hadn’t) and her face was pale and clammy. Her palms were sweaty, her knees were weak, and her arms felt like spaghetti. ‘Why am I here? I need to go home.’ 

But she knew why she was here. 

Yongsun was here and Yongsun had weed and a lot of other fun drugs. And Yongsun had friends, friends like Hyejin the DJ (DJ Hwasa while working) and Hyejin had friends like Wheein. And Wheein was why she was here. If there was a chance Wheein was here, that was all she needed. She needed to talk to Wheein, she needed to apologize so that Wheein could forgive her. Byulyi needed to win her back.
 
Her reflection mocked her, “Win her back? You can’t even stand up straight! ing pathetic.”
 
Byulyi could only glare hard at her reflection in response; it seemed to smirk at her. Being crossfaded made it harder to convince herself that what she was seeing wasn’t real; especially since she knew the words were.
 
The faucet next to her stopped running and Byulyi watched the girl walk out of the bathroom in the mirror. 

Her heart stopped – was that? 

But before Byulyi could turn around to get a good look, the door had closed behind the girl. Byulyi wasn’t even sure she could move from this spot to follow.
 
But even if that girl wasn’t Wheein, it didn’t mean that Wheein wasn’t right outside somewhere in that sea of people. She couldn’t leave until Wheein loved her again.
 
(She couldn’t leave until she didn’t hate herself anymore.)