CHAPTER FOUR (Choices)

Take A Turn

I was awaken by the sound of knockings and the ringing of the doorbell. I went to the door and checked through the peephole to see that man standing there. I ignored it but the knockings and doorbell ringing became so constant that even the boys woke up. “Who’s the person?” Minghao asked as he rubbed his eyes. “That man who claimed to be my father.” Everyone stood still at where they were. This time, Mom and Dad came out of their room and Dad opened the door. The man walked in and came closer to me but I hid behind the boys. “Go away, abandon me like you did 18 years ago.You threw me at the orphanage, I was bullied for 6 years for wanting a warm house to live in, a nice family to be in, I ran away and then met Mom and Dad who stand here. If it weren’t for them, God knows what would have happened to me? Probably locked up as a slave or even sell my body. So go back to being without any burden to take, I’ve been a burden to you 18 years ago, I’ll still be a burden now.” I could feel tears rolling down my cheeks and everyone’s gazes on me. Just then, that man kneeled down on both of his knees with his face covered in tears. “I’m sorry for not being able to keep you in the family. Everyone were devastated when your mom left after you were born. Your grandparents thought that you’re the reason—“

“The reason for my birth mother’s death? That I’m a walking disaster since I came to this world? Then why the hell would you want me back? Aren’t you afraid that I’ll cause you to die early?” I couldn’t bother to be respectful, especially after he had given such a bad excuse. “Jang Jae Mi, you’re not supposed to talk to an elder this way plus, he’s your… biological father.”

“I’m sorry, Dad, but I will never acknowledge someone who disowned me from birth for such a ty excuse as my father. I’ll only take you and Mom as my parents and no one else.” I could feel my legs almost losing its strength until Mingyu held me up. “I’m living well and fine in Mom and Dad’s care so please, stop bugging my life and leave us alone.” He sighed and struggled to stand up. “Sorry, for everything we have caused to have made your life that way. I’m sorry for not keeping you in the family. At least, let me make it up to you and also, let you meet your brother.”
“B-brother?” He took his phone out and I saw the picture with widened eyes. It’s the dude who kept offering help. “What’s h-his name?”

“Your brother’s name is Jo Yoonhyeong. He is 2 years older than you but due to your mother’s departure, he got into school a year later. He goes to the same school as you too but he doesn’t know that you’re his sister. It’s not that I don’t want him to know but I’m afraid that if he were to walk to you and told you that he’s your brother, you would have thought that he’s crazy.” I sure would have. I apologised to him before telling him. “I will… not distance myself away from him but please, do not come and bother with my life anymore. Please…” He nodded and bowed one last time before leaving. During our breakfast, I didn’t say a word and hardly touched my food. I kept myself in the room and Mom came in. “Jaemi, may I have a word with you?” I sat up straight and looked at her. She started her questions. “I know I’m being selfish to ask you this but… Can you please quit your part time job and move back here with us? Or at least, just quit your job and we’ll move in with you.”

“But why, Mom?” I asked her with a questioning look. She had some questions that she didn’t know if she should question me. “I’m afraid… that you’ll leave me and your dad. I’m afraid that you’ll go to your birth family and don’t want us anymore.” Her eyes welled up with tears. I reassured her that I would never leave them, however, she still doesn’t want me to overwork. “Alright… I will quit my job and focus on studies and being your daughter, alright?” That’s when she relaxed and loosened her grip on my hand. “You should get a boyfriend too, Jaemi.” I choked on my saliva. “A what?! I ain’t got time for that! Needless to say for a boyfriend, I don’t even have time to finish my assignments.” She was about to shoot me with a smart sentence but I forced a yawn out and said that I wanted to sleep already. Thinking that I was too tired from the drama, she let it go and left my room. I thought about my birth brother and then about how I should approach him. “But then again, he wasn’t the one who disowned me… Ugh, I don’t know!” I covered my face with my blanket and went into a deep slumber.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up and realised that it was already late evening, I went out of the house and saw that the boys were all waiting for me to get ready to go back to my unit. I went to my parents’ room and told them my goodbyes before leaving with the boys. We headed to my unit and they threw
themselves down onto the sofa. I made some green tea for them to drink and they took it well. After it’s time for them to leave back to their homes, I went to sleep.

I woke up early the next morning and decided to cook something nice for lunch, maybe something for my birth brother as well. Not much of a
variety available though: eggs, carrots, potatoes and chicken thighs. Right, egg rolls, mashed potatoes and seasoned popcorn chicken. I cooked everything and packed five bento boxes: one for myself, one for Yoonhyeong, three for the extras of food individually. I quickly took a shower, took everything with me and left home for school. I’ve waited at the school’s front gate and when I saw Yoonhyeong, I walked towards him. “Hey.” He looked at me and smiled. “Hello, do you need help now?” I rolled my eyes but showed him a soft smile. “Here you go, for being such a nice guy.” I passed him the bento box and he eyed it cautiously. “Don’t worry, I didn’t poison it or anything. Just want to thank you for being so nice everyday. Not many people would want to be nice to others, especially not strangers. So thank you.” He accepted the bento box and reached out his hand. I shook it and he laughed. “I was hoping that you’ll give me your number. So we can be friends.”

'It’s on the bento box so I did give you my number already.” I saw the boys walking towards the entrance so I said goodbye and walked towards the boys. “What’s that in the bag?” I acted like nothing happened and walked towards my first class. I settled down, hid the bento boxes towards the other side and pretended to sleep. Minghao sat beside me and nudged my side. “What’s inside the bag?” I didn’t budged. As the teacher strolled in and the bell rang, I sat up straight and looked towards the board, avoiding the weird gazes Minghao was giving.

When class has ended, I took the bento boxes and headed out. I went to the largest rest area and took a seat. Minghao came running, gasping for air. As soon as all the boys arrived and settled down, questions were waiting to be answered. I took out the boxes and placed it in front of the boys, except for one which belonged to me. “Open them.” They opened it and cheered. “PRINCESS COOKED FOR US! PRINCESS JAEMI COOKED FOR — OW!” I smacked Mingyu’s head for making other students look at us and opened my own bento box. “Why did you prepare your own box?”

“I saved enough food for myself from you monsters.” I joked and they smiled. “Let’s dig in.” We consumed our food and then went to the school’s garden to relax. I laid my head onto Joshua’s tummy and my legs on Junghan. “Our pretty boy is gonna be princess’s floor mat.” Seunggwan hi-fived Soonyoung but soon earned a kick from Junghan. “I’m not just a floor mat, I’m Jaemi’s personal floor mat.” Sounds of grossed out boys could be heard and all of us laughed. Seungcheol checked the time and saw that it’s almost time for the next class and told us to go. The next class I was alone so I sat alone. Just then, a guy sat next to me and I gave him the wth look.

He looked at me and looked back to his friends. Oh wait, he’s a friend of San? San looked at me and waved, causing his friends to look at me. Gosh, how dumb can boys be? He walked towards me and placed his arm on my shoulders. “Guys, this is Jaemi, the first normal girl in this school I’ve made friends with.”

“Hands off, pretty face, or I’m calling my dad. He is a cop and I’m not lying.” He quickly held both of his hands up high and his friends laughed at him. He then put down his hands and then introduced them to me:
Yonghyeon, Hwayeong, Seongho and Taedong. “Why not follow us after class later? We’ll show you our huge group of friends.”

I was thinking of it for awhile and then suddenly decided to meet some new people. I messaged the rest not to wait for me as I would be going somewhere after class ended and they answered okay. After class ended, I followed San and the rest to a dance studio not too far from school and waited there. Slowly, group by group of guys walked in and gave me the shocked expression. “Am I the only girl here? Why did they give me that look like it’s surprising to have a girl around?”

“Because, you ARE the ONLY girl we find normal. Other girls would just think that we’re some stars and start to fangirl over us.” I gave the wth look and he said, “I’m not being shameless and all but I’m being serious. Like didn’t you see our classmates the first time we walked into the class?” I nodded and shrugged the thought aside.