CHAPTER TWO (The Journey Starts)

Take A Turn

I got up as usual, did my daily routine and made sandwiches sets — one for lunch and one to start the day right. I changed into my uniform, grabbed my things and out of my unit. My phone vibrated and I read the message:

[COME DOWN NOW, WE’VE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU PRINCESS. - Chan]

 

Took the lift down and out of the apartment, and got ‘harassed’ by 13 idiots. “Another hug like this and I’m calling my dad. He’ll lock you guys up.” All of us chuckled after that and walked towards their bicycles. “So princess, whose bike are you gonna take today?” The older ones looked my way and I shrugged. After all the rock-paper-scissors and Tarzan-the-monkey-man, I’ve decided to take Junghan’s and the rest started to whine.

 

“She’s taking pretty boy’s bike, leaving us the average looking boys aside.” Soonyoung cried out dramatically and a few of them stood aside. “We’re pretty much above average, it’s just you with the common looks.” Mingyu pointed out and all of us laughed at his shocked face.

 

We walked to the rest area and waited for time to pass. “Let’s have a lunch box battle! We’ll show our lunch and the one with the best lunch wins.” We opened our lunch boxes and some were simple like mine while some were scrumptious. “Seriously? Grilled eel and pork belly with rice? May I request for your mom to make this for me everyday?” Seunggwan looked at Hansol with puppy eyes. Seokmin looked at me and whispered, “peanut butter sandwich again?” I nodded. It’s not that I didn’t know how to cook but with such little time and limited money, I rather scrimp and save as much as I could.

 

When it was time to get to our classes, we packed our lunches and split our ways. Since I took a different elective module, my first class definitely didn’t have any of the boys. “Wait for us after your class has ended, we’ll have lunch together.” I nodded and walked in. I took my seat closest to the teacher’s desk and window where I’ll get the minimal noise from my ‘classmates’. Sometimes they could get really noisy and annoying. Despite only 20 of us, 1 is loud enough to be compared to those fish sellers. As the bell rang, the teacher came in with 2 new students. Respectively, Hocheol and San. Girls started squealing and boys groaned in annoyance. Since no one chose the front seats, they gladly took it. “I’m starting to like school actually.” 1 girl commented. The teacher turned around and shot her back with “Would you like me to start your week with assignments?” which shut in instance, causing the rest to laugh.

 

“Since Hocheol and San are new, I’ll end the class earlier for today. Would be glad if someone volunteers to guide them around.” Some girls raised their hands and waved frantically, in hopes for the teacher to choose them but only to be rejected. “Why not let that girl do it?” I felt a huge burden on my back and turned to realise that everyone in the class were looking at me. I shook my head to reject the suggestion but the two new students nodded in approval. “It would be more comfortable if a male student were to show them around as you can see those man-crazy classmates of mine clearly disapprove the plan.” I reasoned out but the new students shook their heads before one of them stood out and said, “I believe that if one of the guys were to be assigned to do it, they’ll probably leave us aside and walk on his own. As for the other girls, I’ll kindly reject their volunteerism.”

 

“But I—“ I was about to say that I have other plans but the teacher cut me off. “Jae Mi, please do me a favour and show these boys around, alright? You’re the only non-distractive student and I’m pretty sure they’ll be fine in your guidance.” I would have smack the teacher to shut her off but of course I wouldn’t. I nodded in defeat and then whopped out my phone to message the boys that I got to show the new students around before turning on the airplane mode. “We’ll start off with those nearer to us and then most of the basics, those we’ll use often and general stuffs.”

 

We walked around the levels where most of their classes would be at and the canteen, toilets and main office. As we still had some time left, I told them that they could go and have their break first. “Aren’t you gonna eat as well?” One of them asked, and I nodded but replied with, “I’m waiting for my friends to end their classes.” They nodded and left. I took out my phone and off-ed the airplane mode, resulting to massive vibrations and pop-ups on my screen.

 

[WHO ARE THE NEW STUDENTS?!]

[WAIT, YOUR CLASS HAS NEW STUDENTS TOO?]

[ARE THEY BOYS? GIRLS? OR MIXED OF BOTH?]

[ARE THEY PRETTY/HANDSOME?]

[ARE THEY CUTER THAN ME?]

 

“Sheesh, they act worse than Dad and Mom when I first told them I’ve made friends with 13 idiots.” I mumbled under my breath, side-smiling a little. Just then, I felt a figure shadowing over me and looked up. It was Jihoon. “So, we’re idiots?” I smiled softly and shook my head. “ You guys are 12 idiots and 1 smart .” He took the seat next to me. ‘I swear, if my puberty hits me right, I would have been about your height. Because it didn’t, I’m stuck at 150cm (4’11”).” He chuckled and patted my bouncy fringe. “They must’ve spammed you.” I nodded and showed him the messages. He then looked at me and asked, “So questions, boys or girls? How many?”

 

I laughed and showed him a peace sign, while saying “boys”. He nodded and stopped before giving me the stern look. “Are they cuter than Jihoon oppa?” I shook my head and giggled. “No one’s cuter than you, not even Seunggwan and Chan. ‘Cuz you look like the maknae here.” He widened his eyes in shock and puffed his cheeks up. “I’m angry at you.” I laughed out loudly and he softened his gaze. 

 

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

 

The others ended their classes and we met up at the rest area we were at in the morning to have our lunch. I quickly took a bite on my sandwich and the rest were gobbling down their lunch. Hansol filled his spoon with rice, a slice of pork belly and a huge piece of grilled eel and waved it in front of me, signalling me to eat it. I shook my head but eventually took it after them persuading that ‘peanut butter sandwich ain’t enough for a growing lady’. They took turns to feed me their own lunch and I felt bad. I made some excuses to leave the area for a moment just so that I could dash to the canteen and buy some food for them in return. When I got there, I saw that the Chinese stall had the shortest queue and went for it. “14 boxes of Black Bean Noodles, please. Please give me some freebies too.” Knowing that I would usually buy this for the boys, the aunt who tends the stall packed extras of fried dumplings and some sweet and sour popcorn chicken.

 

After getting all the orders and bought 14 packets of banana milk, I struggled towards the rest area when… 

 

“Do you need help?” I looked to my left to see a guy grinning. I shook my head but thanked him for his offer before continuing my walk towards the boys. He followed me and I stopped pacing, turning towards him. “I’m just worried that you might not be able to handle so many stuff.” I sighed before saying “I do this from time to time so I’m used to it. Thank you for offering help but I don’t need it.” With that, I turned back and walked. When I reached the area, the boys were like “NOOOOO, YOU’RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BUY US FOOD ANYMORE.”

 

“If you guys would stop offering me your food and making me feel bad, I wouldn’t have.” I ruffled Hansol’s hair and plotted myself in between him and Junhui. They devoured the food and warned me not to get them anymore food or they’ll start buying me food as well. “Alright, alright. I won’t but only if you stop offering me food.” They nodded and we started getting ready for our next class.

 

“SCORE! JAE MI IS IN MY CLASS!” Mingyu pumped his fist up in the air while the rest of us covered our faces in embarrassment. “Don’t tell the others that you know me.” He felt dejected. “BUT PRINCESS—“ I quickly walked away from him, with him echoing ‘princess’ and ‘wait for me’. I walked into the class and settled down in my original seat: in front and window area. Mingyu gladly took his seat beside me. As Mingyu was telling me about his holiday trip to Osaka in Japan, I noticed San and another new student who walked in. They took the seats beside Mingyu and San smiled at me while I did a faint one back.

 

Mingyu noticed that I wasn’t paying attention to him and he looked at where I was looking, only to find that I was looking at San and that other new guy. “You’re looking at other guys instead of me? I’m hurt.” He said it in an overdramatic tone and faked a cry. I rolled my eyes and chuckled at his dumb act. Just then, a note found its way to my desk and i read it.

 

[Who’s that beside you? - SAN]

 

I wrote on another piece of paper and gave it to him, behind Mingyu’s seat.

 

[Mingyu, one of my friends. - JAE MI]

 

He then wrote back as well.

 

[I see. By the way, my friend’s Hwayeong. He’s a year older but since he’s re-starting high school, he’s at the same grade as us. - SAN]

 

I read and nodded, showing an okay sign to him. I quickly hid the notes, in case Mingyu wanted to make another dramatic scene over those. After a few minutes, the teacher walked in and class started.