Chapter One

Fresh Pair of Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Excuse me, would you help me out? It’s like, a major emergency.” Kiyoko stopped a random passerby on the corner before the 24/7 hour convenience store. “Yes?” He asked, confused. “Um, how old are you?” She questioned. “I’m twenty-one...” He answered, unsure of her motives. “Well, I’ll just cut to the chase― I’m going through a bad case of nicotine withdrawal right about now and I haven’t had a puff in over a week. Would you just help me out?” She pleaded to the man. “You want me to go in there and buy you a pack?” He re-confirmed her request, pointing towards the convenience store. Kiyoko nodded and gave him a nervous smile as she felt her hands tingling along with the cold sweat dripping down her back; natural symptoms of nicotine withdrawal. “How old are you?” He twisted the question around. “That doesn’t matter.” Kiyoko responded. “Well, it does matter if you’re underaged, it’s illegal!” The man retorted. “What do you care?” She scoffed. “I can be prosecuted for giving children things like that.” He replied her. “Fun fact I’m turning eighteen in a month, just help me out here.” Kiyoko grew impatient that this man wasn’t as easy as she thought he would be. “Then wait until then for your cigarette.” He suggested before turning around to leave. “Look, I don’t want to get personal on the corner of a street with a random stranger, but do you see these?” Kiyoko pointed to the bags under her eyes, “I can’t sleep at night. To make matters worse, I can’t eat properly and I can’t even think straight.” The man peeked behind his shoulder slightly to look at her under the streetlight and now her dark circles were even more evident after she pointed them out. For a moment there she thought that he would give in and just buy her that damn pack but he just shook his head and went on his way. “What a tough nut to crack..” Kiyoko muttered to herself.

 

 

 

Kiyoko found herself at the same convenience store again the next night. It was only five minutes away from her apartment and she was craving for some instant noodles, so she figured why not, she needed to get out of that apartment anyway. Kiyoko sat all by herself at a table in front of the convenience store, devouring her noodles. After she was done, a small group of boys came by and sat at the table in front of her. Paying no heed to them, she disposed of her trash and then made her way back to her table before taking her pack of cigarettes out. Picking one out, she put it between her lips and lit it up, inhaling the slightly minty, slightly bitter, burning sensation. It made her feel more at ease, more relaxed, like life was as good as others have it. Kiyoko knew it was bad for her, but this was what she turned to during the tough times, and along the way she found herself addicted to the sticks, the ones she called the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter