F O U R

The Empty Side of the Bed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Déjà vu

   Soonyoung halted, mouth agape as he stared at the figure infront of him. It had been four weeks since he last saw Jihoon - four weeks since he got his heart broken, four weeks of miserably failing at trying to forget his ex-lover and four weeks of drowning in his emotions. All at once, Soonyoung felt four weeks worth of heartbreak and pain flood through him. Regardless, he remained impassive and so did Jihoon. Chan, however, felt like bolting out of the scene as Jihoon scrutinised him from head to toe. There was something in Jihoon's piercing eyes that made Chan feel belittled. 

   One second passed... and two... and three... "So are you here for the meeting?" Chan spoke up, his voice timid. 

   As if woken up from a trance, Jihoon blinked hard and nodded before rushing through the doors of the staff room. Soonyoung, however, was still recovering from the sudden interaction. His heart was pounding and he almost felt like hyperventilating.

   "Hyung, we should head in.." Chan shook the older dancer's arm.

   Shaking his head and gulping, Soonyoung willed his strength and pushed the doors open. In the meeting room, most of the staff have already gathered, each taking their respective seats. Everyone chattered animatedly amongst themselves and Soonyoung frowned upon seeing the stack of pizzas and the cake on the table. 

   Congratulations Lee Jihoon!

   Congratulations! Soonyoung wondered to himself. Was Jihoon getting a promotion?

   Chan nudged Soonyoung in hope of receiving some details but all he could get was a defeated sigh and a shrug. Chan studied the older dancer, noticing how he was taking deeper breaths as each second passed and he subconsciously squeezed his hand as comfort before leading them to their seats. Despite being three years his junior, Chan had a mature mentality although many still pictured him as a kid (not that Chan really cared anyways).

   From across the table, Jihoon watched how Chan calmed Soonyoung down. He watched how Chan squeezed Soonyoung's hand. He watched how Chan smiled warmly at Soonyoung. He silently watched the pair and he had to bite the inside of his cheek as he slowly felt his heart crumble for the nth time today. 

   "He's going to be mad at you, you know that right?" Seungcheol said in a low voice. 

   Jihoon ignored his best friend and decided to focus on the different staffs gathering around. Seungcheol tutted and continued, "I just don't understand why couldn't have told him why-"

   Silenced by Jihoon's glare, Seungcheol leaned back in his seat and sighed. "I have my reasons, and we both know why I'm doing this. So please..."

   Before Seungcheol could even think of a reply, their boss made an entrance and everyone bowed and greeted. Jihoon offered a small smile to his best friend before completely shutting him out once again. He knew that the time would come when Seungcheol would accept and understand his actions.

   "Good evening everyone," Mr. Kim started off. "Today I have called everyone for a meeting in celebration of Lee Jihoon's transfer!"

   The room erupted into whispers and confusion before their boss could continue. "Jihoon had been accepted for New York University of Fine Arts and he will be teaching in the NYC's Rock Academy!"

   At that moment, everyone cheered and wished him congratulations. Everyone but Soonyoung. Soonyoung, for once throughout these four weeks, gazed longingly into Jihoon's eyes and the latter found himself doing the same for a few fleeting moments before responding to his colleagues with thanks. 

   "I kno

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter