T H R E E

The Empty Side of the Bed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We Keep This Love In A Photograph


   Skimming through the comments on his most recent YouTube upload, Jihoon almost got a headache from the overwhelming requests for a Soonhoon duet. How was he going to announce to everyone that him and Soonyoung have already broken up? Ofcourse, he could have just chose to not tell his fans but the JihUnites have supported him through everything and he couldn't leave them hanging. Having no other choice, Jihoon pressed the record button of his video camera and sat infront of it with his guitar.

   "Hello everyone," Jihoon looked around his room awkwardly before continuing, "I know a lot of you requested for a dance-plus-singing cover by the Soonhoon couple but I won't be able to do that for a while... But I hope you'll enjoy my cover of Ed Sheeran's Photograph anyways! Let's get down to it!"

   Jihoon tapped the base of his guitar before starting the melody of Photograph. Closing his eyes and feeling the rhythm, he let himself sway a little before singing.

   "Loving can hurt. Loving can hurt sometimes..."

   Jihoon was brought back to the day when they broke up. He remembered Soonyoung greeting him with a bright smile, running towards Jihoon to give him a hug - a hug that was immediately rejected by Jihoon. He couldn't bear to fall into those arms when he was about to hurt Soonyoung in the next few minutes.

   Soonyoung frowned and took a step forward. With every step forward, Jihoon took a step back. "Ji... Are you okay?"

   Jihoon couldn't speak, he didn't know how to. Jihoon had to keep the true reason why he was doing this to himself. You're doing this to protect Soonyoung, Jihoon. It's better to get hurt now than later. Yet, Jihoon couldn't help feeling as if his actions were wrong in so many ways.

   "Ji... Please say something..." Jihoon wished he could say more than just something. He wanted to spill everything to Soonyoung, he wanted the hug that he rejected earlier on, he wanted to stay.

   "Ji-" Jihoon flinched and took another step back when Soonyoung tried to reach up to his cheek. "I... Did I do something wrong, Jihoon?"

   Jihoon contemplated and carefully selected his choice of words before he finally found the courage to speak. Although, it was ironic to say so since technically, he felt like a coward to run away like this.

   "Do you remember," Jihoon started, his voice small and calm as he recalled the memory. "When we first met, you couldn't stand how I was such a perfectionist and I couldn't stand how you were reckless and so carefree. Funny how we got here,huh?"

   Jihoon gave a sad smile and at that moment, Soonyoung wanted to retreat. Quietly, Soonyoung took a step back and his breathing quickened. He prayed to whatever gods there were that the fate he thought he would be facing wouldn't happen. But Soonyoung has already been blessed by the gods to even date Jihoon and it seems that his luck was running out.

   Jihoon lifted his gaze, focusing on Soonyoung's quiet expression before the guilt washed over him and forced him to look away. "We had good times, didn't we? I really enjoyed every bit-"

   "Don't!" Soonyoung snapped. All of a sudden, the only sounds heard was the constant buzz of the city traffic and the wind slowly whistling in their ears. The silence was deafening and Soonyoung wasn't sure whether the sick feeling in his stomach was because of this or because of Jihoon.

   Jihoon stammered, at a loss of how to continue but got interrupted once again by Soonyoung. "I said don't, Jihoon. Don't you dare finish whatever you're going to say."

   Both boys hated the desperation laced in Soonyoung's voice. Both boys hated the evident hurt inflicted on Soonyoung and the tears pooling in Soonyoung's eyes. Both boys hated the current situation. However, Jihoon's blank face revealed none of this and Soonyoung was panicked, empty, scared and have never felt so alone.

   "Soonyoung-hyung. It has been a great pleasure to meet you, not once have I regretted meeting you." A tear slid down Soonyoung's cheek and Jihoon found it hard to fight within himself to continue. Alas, he managed to collect himself together and took a deep breath. "Let's break up... It's for our own good..."

   Soonyoung almost forgot how to breathe as he processed Jihoon's words over and over in his head. You're in a dream and you're going to wake up any minute now, relax. Wake up!! Wake up!! Come on, Soonyoung!! He shook his head profusely, trying to convince himself that everything was a big fat lie but he wouldn't wake up and Soonyoung finally felt the weight crush him.

   "Why?" Soonyoung croaked, stari

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter