Jinyoung

Best Man (MarkJinSon)

“Jin…Jin-young.”
I managed to hear her slur through the blasting music in the background. Before she could tell me where she was, I already knew.

“I’m at - I’m at Brian’s. Can you - you come and - and get nme?”
I looked over at the clock, it reads 345AM. Normally I would be fast asleep but I decided to do some last minute cramming for my history exam.

“Stay put, I’m on my way.”
I was already halfway to my car before she could even ask. As I walked out of my room, I noted that Jackson and Mark were fast asleep and wondered if she bothered to call either of them before calling me.

“Now isn’t the time to be feeling jealous Jinyoung.”
I said outloud to myself as I climbed into the car and sped in the direction of Brian’s house. There was absolutely  no mistaking which house was his; there were people all over the lawn, the balcony and even on his roof, and of course the loud music was a dead giveaway. The minute I walked in, I was greeted by a chorus of slurred hellos, sloppy handshakes, hugs and someone even handed me a beer - which I left on a counter.

I must have searched every corner of the house and I still hadn’t laid eyes on her. It made me slightly panic as various scenarios went through my mind, she had to be here somewhere. As I’m rounding yet another corner of the house I see her in a guy’s embrace and practically jolt over to her.

“Don’t you dare touch her.”
I quickly push him away from her and place myself between them.

“Woah dude, no need to get all defensive. I was only trying to keep an eye on her before someone tried to touch her.”
He put both hands in front of him as if admitting defeat. To be completely honest, I totally wasn’t expecting that answer to come from his mouth.

“Oh… well uh… thanks, I guess.”
I answer awkwardly as I turn to look at her. She’s completely wasted… thank god we don’t live in the dorms because there’s no way I could sneak her in like this.

“Don’t mention it. You know… you shouldn’t let your girlfriend go to parties like this alone, there aren’t that many guys who will treat her just as I have tonight.”
Believe me, if she were my girlfriend she wouldn’t even be here. We’d probably be sleeping, at home, safe and sound.

“Thanks again anyway.”
I say as I lace my arm around her waist and throw her arm around my neck.

“…what’s your name again? So I can tell her who watched over her when she’s sober.”
I held out my free hand for him to shake.

“JB. You two have a good night.”
He shook my hand firmly before turning to leave. JB… where have I heard that name before… Her head slightly tilts back and the sudden jerk of her body brings me back to the situation at hand; getting her to the car and getting out of here. It was so difficult to get her out of the house since she wasn’t even moving her legs; I ended up carrying her out into the car. I let the seat recline as far as it could and strapped her in place. When I got into the driver’s side I opened her window and the back window so she could breathe in fresh air. I also prayed that she wouldn’t throw up in my car. When I finally got home, it was about 630AM and there was absolutely no point in trying to sleep anymore… I carried her into the apartment and set her down on my bed.

“You’re going to have one hell of a hangover when you wake up later.”
I got her shoes off, put the blanket over her and sat at my desk. I only had two hours until my classes start so I didn’t sleep.

“…might as well do some more studying.”
I rummaged through the pages of notes scattered on my desk and began rereading and looking over them, all while occasionally looking over at her.

*next morning*

She woke to a pounding headache and a dry throat. The room was dark so she figured it was still night time. ‘Where am I’, ‘how did I get here’, ‘this isn’t my room’. She thought as she lay with one eye open. She pulls the covers closer to her body as she sits up to turn on the lamp by the end table. As the light from the lamp lit up the room, she realized she was at Mark, Jackson and Jinyoung’s apartment, in Jinyoung’s room. On the end table by the lamp she found a bottle of aspirin, a few water bottles and a note that read:

for your headache. I’ll take you for food when I get back.
                               -JY

She smiled as she took the aspirin and laughed to herself when she sees a thick blanket hung up against the window to block the sunlight from coming in. Only Jinyoung would think of doing things like this and it really warmed her heart. It was Jinyoung’s thoughtfulness that made it so easy to like him. ‘I don’t know any guy who would be as considerate as you’, she thought to herself as she attempted to recall the events of last night. All she knew was that she went to Brian’s party, had a few drinks and now she was laying in Jinyoung’s bed at 5PM. The knock at the door broke her away from her thoughts and she lay her head back down and covered her body with the blanket once again.

“Hey, you’re up. How are you feeling? Did you take the aspirin?”
Jinyoung asked her as he stood over her.

“Yes, and thank you for last night. Sorry for causing trouble… again.”
She apologized as she covered her face to avoid eye contact.

“It’s not trouble, i was up anyway. You hungry? Wanna go grab some food?”
He rummaged through his closet as he spoke to her.

“…you’ll still have to wear your shorts but you can wear one of my shirts until you get home to clean up. Here’s one for you.”
Jinyoung threw the shirt at her and walked out of the room so she could change out of her alcohol stained shirt. She sat there for a moment and thought about how careful Jinyoung was; he was always careful with her, always thinking of her and always just… he was always there. Sure, Mark and Jackson were always there too, but there was something about Jinyoung that continuously drew her in.

“Starving out here.”
Jinyoung yells through the door, breaking her away from thoughts of him. She shook her head as if the thoughts would go away and she laughed at how she felt even. ‘Jinyoung is just being a good friend’, she said to herself as she threw on his shirt and walked out the door.

“She’s alive!”
Jackson squeals as he looks over at her from the tv. He and Mark were playing video games as she exited the room.

“How are you feeling?”
Mark asks, not taking his eyes away from the screen.

“I’ll be okay after I get some food in me.”
She laughs as she looks around the apartment for her shoes.

“We’ll see you guys in a bit.”
Jinyoung says as he hands her shoes over to her.

“We’ll come with, we haven’t eaten yet anyway.”
Mark throws his controller on the couch and is quick to put on his shoes and jacket before anyone could respond. Mark smiled as he looked at her and Jinyoung would never admit it but he suddenly felt discouraged. He didn’t want the other two to come, he just wanted it to be him and her. Unfortunately, it’s almost always impossible because after all, they are a ‘packaged deal’.