Ch.3

Sweetheart

"Oh."

Jungkook stood, eyes completely set on Jimin who stared right back. Did he sit down, or did he turn around and leave? Jungkook could feel the sweat starting to form on his forehead, was it hot in there, or was he just feeling like this because Jimin's gaze was rather intimidating?

"Uh... can I sit here?" Jungkook asked, stepping closer. Jimin shrugged and eyed the seat next to him.

"I don't see why not."

With slower movements, Jungkook shuffled towards the chair and sat down. He had no clue on what he was supposed to do next, having gotten off on the wrong foot with Jimin earlier on, the tension could've been sliced with a spoon.

Usually, Jungkook wasn't bugged by other people's opinions of him, of course it did get lonely from time to time. However, if they weren't willing to give him a chance and accept him - there was nothing he could do about it. Somehow though, Jungkook found himself irritated with himself. He started to question his choice of outfit for the first time, thinking why did I have to dress like this today? He'd never once second guessed himself about anything, but Jimin had him doing exactly that in a matter of seconds.

"I'm not some snotty rich kid, by the way." Jungkook announced, entirely out of the blue. The tone in his voice was a mixture of urgency and somewhat offended. He watched the way Jimin's head rose, the way his eyebrows quirked into a confused frown.

"Pardon?" The orange haired male didn't quite know what to make of the sudden outburst. It wasn't until he saw the soft glint in Jungkook's eyes as he stared down at the desk, that Jimin knew what he was talking about. "Oh, right. You're talking about what I said earlier." He mumbled, kicking his feet against the laminated floor as he swayed from side to side in his seat.

Jungkook looked up from the scratched mahogany computer desk and gave Jimin a look of pure  outrage. How could he be so casual about what he'd previously accused Jungkook of? He really couldn't comprehend ever talking to a stranger the way Jimin had spoken to him.

With a small sigh, Jungkook leaned back, resting against the back of the chair. His pupils quivering as he tried to string together his next words.

"You're not the first person to accuse me of being some wealthy show off," He uttered through his teeth that ever so slightly scraped together. "Back in my hometown, many people looked at me with a turned up nose, whispered about me when my back was turned. You see, the area I lived in, everyone knew everyone, so my life wasn't exactly private." 

Jimin tilted his head slightly, listening carefully to the younger boys' words. He had absolutely no idea why he was listening to this new kid spill all these details (even though he owed it to him), it wasn't something he'd usually bother with.

Jungkook in a deep breath before continuing on with his story. "When I was thirteen years old, I had to leave my school. A lot of people found out... they immediately assumed I was expelled for vandalism or bullying, all before they knew the facts. In actual fact, the truth is that I left my education behind to look after my sick mother. Meanwhile my father was away in another country, doing his job to put the dinner on our table." Everything came spilling out, but Jungkook managed to hold his composure. 

By now, Jimin's stomach was turning inside out with guilt. He instantly felt a heavy weight of regret pushing down on him. 

"My point is, I grew up without getting any kind of grades or qualifications... but all because of my appearance, people think the worst of my personality." Jungkook stated, standing on his feet. "Thankfully my mother has recovered, which is the reason why I could come here and start my own life."

Jimin was trying to muster up some kind of apology, anything to try and make up for what he'd said. How did this stranger manage to make him feel guilt so quickly, so easily?

Jungkook turned his back to the older boy, coming out with a few more words. "All I'm saying is... don't judge a book by it's cover, hyung." With that, he made his way towards the steps, on his way to the cafeteria.

 

-

 

The rest of the day went fairly quickly for Jungkook, he had a math class and literature class. He'd decided to retake them since he never had the chance to pass them in school. 

Coincidentally, Jin was in all of Jungkook's classes. So it wasn't so nerve wrecking for Jungkook to handle, Jin was rather nice and offered to sit next to him the whole day. They didn't talk much, but that wasn't a problem - it was the company Jungkook enjoyed the most.

When the school bells rang, it didn't take long for the college halls to once again go completely wild. Jungkook noticed how people couldn't get out of those double doors fast enough.

"So, I'll see you tomorrow?" Jin said, offering a bright smile to Jungkook.

"Yeah... I'll be her." Jungkook shuffled his feet along the gravel just outside of the college entrance. He waved Jin off as he walked towards a small, pink car.

Jungkook made his way towards the slightly rusted gates at the far end of campus, his hand slid into his pocket, fingers grabbing hold of his earbuds. Placing one in his ear, Jungkook put his ipod on shuffle and picked up his pace as the music started.

The music barely had a chance to start playing before Jungkook heard someone cursing loudly just a little bit behind him. Startled, he pulled the earphone out and turned around.

Jimin was standing beside a rather tired looking blue car, kicking at the rusted and decaying drivers side. 

He had no idea why he was doing this, but Jungkook approached the older male, with a sway in his step.

Jimin was about to find out just how much of a sweetheart Jeon Jungkook could truly be.

"Jimin hyung, are you alright?"

The orange haired male flinched slightly, he wasn't expecting anyone to ask if he was okay - least of all Jungkook. "No. Not really."

"Can I help with anything?" Jungkook asked, trying his best not to laugh at the unfortunate state of Jimin's poor car. The bonnet was starting to smoke and there was a questionable smell of... petrol invading the fresh air. 

"Unless you know how to fix cars, then no. I can't get home and I live nearly a two hours drive away." Jimin let out an exasperated sigh, and to Jungkook's amusement, pouted in a cutesy kind of way. His bottom lip jutted right out.

It was quite... adorable.

What with the series of things Jungkook couldn't believe he'd been doing throughout the day, he was about to make another rash decision. Perhaps it was the wrong way to go about things, but he didn't really have chance to think it through before his mouth opened. 

"You can come back to mine if you want? Leave your car here for the night. I'm pretty sure no one would steal that thi-- I mean, nobody would steal a car from a college parking lot."

There was a steady minutes worth of shared eye-contact before Jimin actually looked like he was even considering the offer. He put his hand on his hip and raised his eyebrow. "Do you have coffee?"

Jungkook chuckled under his breath and nodded.

"Yes, I do."