Ch.1

Sweetheart

Jungkook felt nothing short of anxious as he sat alone in the reception area of the exceptionally large college building. It was his first day in an entirely new environment, he was far away from home and alone too, no family with him at all. 

He'd just moved to Seoul from Busan less than a week ago, finally getting accepted into the college he had been chasing after for nearly two years. It was hard for Jungkook, he hadn't taken part in any exams, which meant no grades for him and of course that made it much harder for him to be accepted into college. 

Jungkook left school when he was only thirteen years old, many people often jumped to conclusions, of course. He was often accused of being expelled for thuggish or bullying behaviour, but that was just pure gossip. Jungkook never decided to prove them wrong , because the opinion of people he didn't know meant absolutely nothing to him. He also never felt the need to tell anyone the real reason why he left his education behind, it was none of their business after all.

If he knew he wasn't the uneducated thug everyone else thought he was, then that's all that matter to him.

Jungkook sighed, glancing sideways at the group of girls staring at him through the glass doors which lead to the common room. This kind of thing happened a lot, no matter where he was there would always be eyes on him. Now, Jungkook wasn't the daft type, he knew exactly why this happened. It was purely his appearance. 

Back in Busan he had often been dubbed breathtaking, family friends would often say his features were chiselled to perfection. Personally, he didn't see it because in his eyes - he was just Jungkook.

A lot of people, strangers mostly, thought that bad manners came with good looks. Which he really didn't understand, why do someones looks have any kind of impact on their personality? 

Jungkook saw the way each girl took it in turns to look at him, their lips moving slowly, as if being secretive about what they had to say. A puff of hair escaped his lips. Ridiculous. Do they really think he can hear through double glazed glass?

"Jeon Jungkook?" The female receptionist called out his name from behind the desk. He stood up and gave a small smile. "That's me."

"Principle Choi is ready to see you now." She informed him and stretched her hand out towards the glass doors. "There's a flight of stairs just on the other side of the common room, if you go up, the first door on your left is his office."

"Thank you."

He pushed the door with the palm of his hand and as soon as he stepped in... the room felt silent. 

There were still many pairs of eyes burning into him as he crossed the carpeted floor, the occasional head peeking up from nearby desktops to sneak a peek. Jungkook kept his own eyes forward and his head held high.

 

 

"Ah, you must be Jungkook. I'm Mr. Choi, the principle here." The older man offered a comforting smile to Jungkook. 

"It's nice to meet you." Jungkook smiled back and felt his shoulders sink a little as he felt a little more at ease. "The building really looks lovely, everyone seems... nice here." His lips slowly shaped back into the line they had previously been in. The truth was, he really didn't know how nice the other students would be.

"I should hope so. We don't condone bullying on this premises, so if you ever feel uncomfortable don't be afraid to talk to someone." Principle Choi's expression grew a little more serious. To be honest, he wasn't saying anything that Jungkook hadn't heard before.

"Thank you, I'll remember that."

"I'd already asked the students to gather into the courtyard by 8:15, so they should all be there by now. We'll head down when you're ready."

"I'm ready now." Jungkook stated with a nod, standing close to the door. He could feel his heart beat in the back of his throat, his stomach doing somersaults. He'd not once felt this sick when meeting new people, but he was getting to a point in his life where the judgement grew tiring.

"Are you not nervous? The confidence is practically radiating off of you" The principle asked turning the handle of the door.

Jungkook stepped out, taking a deep breath. "I may look confident, but I feel sick to my stomach." He mumbled, taking each step slowly - the principle following close behind.

"Well, settle those nerves of yours. Everything will be fine."

 

-

 

Once Jungkook's feet stepped over the line, out of the courtyard door, his eyes were greeted with what had to be hundreds of other students. His age and older. The sickness that riled up in his tummy had now spread throughout his entire body. His knees felt like they would buckle and give out any second.

Principle Choi gave Jungkook a reassuring pat on the back as he led him into the centre of the large concrete space. All those people looking at him, most expressions were indifferent, some others had their noses turned up. There would be whispering gossip later on.

"Good morning everyone, I trust you had a good nights sleep last night." Principle Choi's greeting earned a few subtle groans. Jungkook grinned slightly in amusement.

"We have a new student joining us today, his name is Jeon Jungkook." 

Jungkook smiled awkwardly, eyes fleeting over the sea of people in front of him. "Hello, it's nice to meet you all."

Nothing but silence. Maybe they were just being territorial?

"I need one of you to show him around campus today, would anyone like to volunteer?" The principle stood waiting for someone, anyone to put their hand up. Nothing. Not a single movement.

After a few seconds, or minutes, (Jungkook couldn't really tell the difference) there hadn't been any kind offers. The smile on Jungkook's face was starting to falter, his cheeks aching a little. 

Principle Choi let out an exasperated sigh, "If nobody is going to offer then I'll just choose myself." His arm stretched out in front of him, finger pointing at the obviously bored crowd of teenagers.

"Park Jimin. You'll be the tour guide today."

A series of quite, sympathetic laughs echoed around the courtyard. That's when a rather short boy with wild orange hair stepped forward with a reluctant look on his face.

"Hi."