Five

Unlikely Fairytale

After a whole year in highschool, Yerim seemed to have gotten the gist of it. She have found the balance between her club activities as well as her studies. She no longer finds it hard to keep up with her subjects and her scores were improving. On the other hand, Jungkook's grades hasn't been that great. With the school's soccer team making it to one of the prestigious competition, Jungkook has been putting more time in soccer. The time which were meant to focus on his studies.

Jungkook's grade has slipped a bit drastically and it seemed as everyone is concerned. The school's Golden Boy didn't seem so golden anymore and his parents also seemed to have worried over this unexpected turn of events. Their concern was mostly due to the fact that it was their son's last year in highschool and application for universities were coming up. It would be tough to get into a good university if Jungkook can't raise his grades back up. At the same time, he just couldn't leave his love for soccer and also the team to just focus on his studies. He needs to be able to progress in his studies outside of the school hours.

That is why, his parents have decided that Jungkook should get a tutor.

 

-

 

The idea of getting a tutor wasn't such a bad thing for Jungkook. However, he was not so keen on having one. He also did not expect to have found a tutor straight away and to start as soon as the school started. Turns out, his parents were extremely eager to help their son getting his grades back up again and to not interrupt his love for soccer that they looked up every tutoring ads. They thought about enrolling him in one of those suplementary classes but decided against it and looked up home tutors.

That is how Jeon Jungkook finds himself infront of his tutor in his living room. He hadn't expect anything from his tutor, and certainly did not expect that it would be a girl. A girl that used to be his senior in highschool and also one of the soccer team's manager.

"Jeon Jungkook?"

"Sunbae!"

Both were surprised, to say the least but were quickly aquainted with one another. Her name was Lee Eunji and she was two years older than Jungkook. They weren't that close during the time she was still in highschool considering she was two years his senior. However, when they started chatting while preparing for the stuff to revise they found that it was easy talking with one another. It was surprising for Jungkook since he didn't speak that much with girls (besides Yerim, of course).

After reviewing the subjects Jungkook struggled with, Eunji went back. Jungkook accompanied her to the bus stop since it was getting late and Eunji thanked him. On their way to the bus stop, both had a bit of talk and Jungkook was impressed by how calm and collected Eunji was. The way she answered things and just the way she talks in general was very mature. Before getting on the bus, Eunji bid goodnight and reminded him to prepare before their next tutoring session. After seeing her off, Jungkook found himself whistling a happy tune and was quite excited for their next session.

 

-

 

Months passed by since the first day of the term and Jungkook's grades have steadily gone up. He hasn't reach his ideal scores yet but the improvement was not unnoticed. The teachers were pleased, his teammates were also glad, while his parents seemed relieved. Despite this improvement however, the Jeons still think Jungkook should still have his tutor since he still needed a bit catching up on certain areas.

Where does this leave Yerim you might wonder?

Well, Yerim and Jungkook's relationship was still as great as ever, though nothing has developed (much to Yerim's dismay). She was happy that Jungkook seemed to have gotten back on his feet once again. She saw how Jungkook was a bit pressured after his results were out, though he tries to hide it, and it had made Yerim a bit worried. Now that he was back in his tracks and seemed much more lighter, Yerim was happy for him.

However, she noticed how they don't hang out as much after the whole tutoring started. They still go to school together and would sometimes go home together as well (the drama club has been busier this year and both of their schedules clashed). But, they didn't have much of their usual 'outings' or even their traditional movie nights as often as before.

It may seem that Jungkook has become extremely busy with his tutoring and Yerim didn't want him to lose focus again. Therefore she gave him space to focus on his things.

 

-

 

Autumn arrived a bit later that year and as the leaves started falling, Yerim felt as if her relationship with Jungkook seemed to have started to wither as well. On their way to school, Jungkook would often busy himself with his phone and not much words were exchanged between the two. Though Yerim tries hard to strike a conversation, it would usually be cut off with the ping! from his phone. At school, Jungkook would be busy with his friends and teammates as they prepare for the last match of the year. Yerim was also busy herself with the upcoming drama production, she was chosen to lead the costume committee this time and would often find herself doing her work during lunch breaks and after school.

Yerim decided that it would be best if she initiated to plan for their movie night to just catch up with Jungkook. She had chosen the time when she thinks both of them wouldn't be too busy and had asked Jungkook. She was disappointed to know that Jungkook had declined her invitation saying that he'd be busy with his tutoring. Albeit her disappointment, Yerim had tried her best to understand the situation and said that it was okay.

On the day Yerim had planned for the movie night, she had felt a bit productive and decided to try her hands on baking. Luckily, her mom was there and they had began looking up recipes. After a few hours of Yerim clumsily trying to bake with her mother's guidance (thank goodness), the cookies turned out well. While she was carefully storing the cookies, she decided to take some to the Jeons.

As she rang the bell, Mrs. Jeon came to greet her and ushered her inside saying that it has been too long since she's seen Yerim. Yerim shrugged and mentioned how it has been a busy semester for everyone and then proceeded to hand the jar of cookies. As they go deeper into the house, she can see the lights in the living room were out and could hear the sound of the TV.

"Were you watching a movie, aunty?" Yerim asked, not wanting to take the older woman's time too long.

"Oh no, no." Mrs. Jeon denied. "Jungkook finished his session earlier and decided to watch a movie with Eunji, his tutor."

"Since they've been working quite hard, I thought why not." Mrs. Jeon continued as they head into the kitchen, going unnoticed by the two who were quite immersed on the movie playing. "Why don't you join them, sweetie?"

Yerim took a glance at the living room towards the sofa where the two figures were seated closely. She doesn't know why but it felt as if she may be intruding and decided to not join them. She heads out quietly after she bid Mrs. Jeon farewell but not before looking back towards the living room. She felt a bit sad remembering how it could have been them watching the movie but was rejected because of Jungkook's tutoring.

Yerim goes home quietly and pondered on the heavy feeling she has in her heart.

 

 

A/N: Hiya! I'm back with a new chapter. I'm realy sorry for the long awaited update. Hope you'll enjoy this one and to all that have subscribed to this story, thank you :)