Chapter 9 - The First Truth

Prescription For Love

“Let me give you a free tips before I left, Doctor Im. And I tell you like this because I noticed how close you with my dongsaeng right now.”

“What’s that?”

“If you’re curious about Jonghyun, anything about his life, try to lead the conversation naturally until he finally spoke out.”

“Why?”

“Because if you just wait for him to spoke out by his own, it won’t happen.”

 

 

It took 30 minutes until Jonghyun finally went out with fresh look after the shower. He wore a white pants and grey tshirt, which is his first time to look very casual—very very casual—in front of Yoona.

He sat on the chair in front of Yoona with full excitement in his eyes when he saw so many dishes on the table. “I should call Mrs Im and say how thankful I am for the dishes.”

“Omma said that a doctor should live in a healthy way.” Yoona glanced at him while holding her smile. “That’s what she wanted me to tell you.”

“I’m listening.” Jonghyun grimaced and started to eat. “Oh, where’s hyung?”

“He left already. Oh and also he said he borrowed your car.” Yoona answered. “Uhm Jonghyun...”

Jonghyun turned at her and found that Yoona looks a bit hesitated. “Why? Did hyung just say something that bothered you?”

“I was... just a bit curious...”

“About what?”

Yoona bites her lower lip nervously. “About something that you’ve ever told me that night.”

Jonghyun raised his eyebrows and it took a few seconds until he finally understood what is Yoona talking about. “Tiffany?”

Yoona nodded carefully. “But you dont have to answer me if you—“

“Yoona.” Jonghyun put down his spoon and turned his whole body at her. “If you’re curious for something about me, just ask without any hesitation. Did I already say that I want to know more about you and it’s vice versa?” his expression became softened. “So, just ask.”

Yoona cleared . “Well... uhm... it’s just because Yonghwa-ssi looks so hateful towards Tiffany but he held himself because of you. While you’re on the other side already said that you dont love her anymore.” She stared at his eyes. “Honestly I want to ask you this question on that night but at that point, we’re still... you know... in early stage of friendship...”

Jonghyun sighed and leaned on his chair. “I’ll tell you the whole story after I finished this meal, okay?” he patted Yoona’s head softly. “Wait for me on the couch.”

Yoona nodded. “Do you want to have some tea?”

“Sure. Thanks, Yoona.”

 

 

 

After ten minutes, Jonghyun finally joined Yoona on the couch. She was a bit surprised when Jonghyun seated himself very close to her. But since it’s not bothering her at all, so she let it just like that.

“Your expression is a bit gloomy after I asked that question.” Yoona spoke up. “You know, you really don’t have to—“

“Im Yoona. Once again you talked with full of hesitation like that, I might kiss you.” Jonghyun stared at her with his profound eyes. “Kidding.” He added while chuckling as he saw Yoona’s face looks shocked. “Okay, let’s have a serious talk this time.” He paused for a while. “To answer your question before, my reason actually is the same like Yonghwa hyung.”

“Huh? Museun...?”

“If hyung said that it’s because of me, for me, it’s because of someone else, too, Yoona. I still let her like this because of someone else.”

“Is... this someone else... an important person for you? And what is this someone else relationship with Tiffany?”

It took a while before Jonghyun managed to answer. “Yes. More important than me.”

“A woman?” she asked curiously because he noticed Jonghyun’s voice sounds like... that person is very important.

Jonghyun chuckled. “Jealous?”

“No!!” Yoona denied in a hurry while trying to hide her embarassment. “I’m just asking, Jonghyun.”

“If it added with a bit of jealousy, I dont even mind it, Yoona.” Jonghyun smiled meaningfully. “it’s a man.”

“Who is he?”

Jonghyun stared at Yoona when he finally say the answer. “My twin.” And as he expected, Yoona looks shocked, she even couldnt respond him right away but just stared back at him. After a while, she finally opened to speak.

“So... the one that Tiffany choose over you... is...”

“My twin.” Jonghyun nodded. “Lee Jae Hyun.”

Yoona, once again, was speechless over Jonghyun’s answer. Although somehow she already expected the answer. “So...” she cleared as it’s getting dry. “Your... ‘rival’... is your twin?”

Jonghyuen let out a bitter smile. “Pathetic, isn’t it? But, it’s just ‘was’, Yoona. Honestly I look at him as my rival only for a few hours. A few hours after I know the fact that time. After all, he’s my twin. Such a woman like her won’t ever get me to mark him as a rival.” He said with low voice. “You must be curious for many things, aren’t you?”

Yoona nodded. “A lot.” Because you seems too mysterious… “I wonder…” she spoke carefully. “If you want to tell me the whole story…”

 


* * *

 

Yoona flinched as she heard loud horns were banging behind her. She realized that the traffic light just turned into green and yet her car is blocking the other cars. She stepped the pedal in a hurry and looking for some safe road side to stop her car, just for a while. Fortunately it’s not that far. She stepped the brake and sighed loudly. She just lost her focus right since she left Jonghyun’s house, she even doesn’t aware that where is she right now and what is she doing, actually. Her mind is in a fuss. She closed her eyes as she recalled what was just happened back then.

 

“I wonder... if you want to tell me the whole story...”

Jonghyun exhaled loudly and closed his eyes. “Yoona, promise me one thing...” he muttered.

“What is it?”

“Whenever I say, please leave me. I hope you won’t ask what happened but just do it. Can you?” Jonghyun asked, still with closed eyes. “And please don’t ever ask.”

Yoona wanted to ask why but she closed tightly and choose to nodded. “Should I really leave this place?

“Yes, please. It’s always hard for me, Yoona. And I just don’t want other people to watch me…” Jonghyun gulped.

“Okay, I understand.” Yoona agreed, softened her voice.

Jonghyun closed his eyes for a while before he started to speak. “I was born a few minutes earlier than my twin. We grew up together in NY. After four years, we moved to Japan, then London and back to NY again. We always entered the same school, same class. When we graduated from junior high school in London, my father has to move back to NY, bringing all of us with him, which make me and my twin have to attend high school in NY. And that’s when we met Tiffany and Daniel.” He sighed heavily once again.

Yoona noticed that he looks so difficult to continue, so she tried to come up with a question. “How’s your twin, Jonghyun? Does his personality resembled you a lot?”

And it worked. Her question can make Jonghyun slightly smiled, seems like he was picturing his twin in his own mind right now. “For looks, yes. But no for personality. We’re completely opposite.”

“So the other one is a cheerful person?”

“No.” Jonghyun shook his head. “I was.” He stared at Yoona, enjoying the change of Yoona’s expression.

“Maldo andwae! Then how could you... now...” Yoona stuttered, still in surprised.

“I know it’s hard to believe, but that was me... until high school.” He paused for a moment and take a gulp of water. His gaze started to wonder somewhere which looks like he really lost in his own world. “For a few weeks after my brother and I entered high school, we got to know each other with two students, which I’ve said before, who surprisingly were from Korea too.”

Yoona nodded, knowing that he’s talking about Tiffany and Daniel.

“We became close to each other, four of us. And that’s when I started to give more attention to Tiffany, because her personality.” He sighed. “Usually everyone who  know us, can only be matched with one of us. But not for Tiffany. She... she was amazing. She can be turned into a cheerful and calm girl. Depends on person that she was with. And it makes Jae Hyun and me feels so comfortable to be with her.”

“And that’s why you fell in love with her...” Yoona helped him to continue as she saw Jonghyun’s expression turned more bitter.

“Yes.” He nodded. “I fell in love with her that time. I told Jaehyun that I want to ask someone to be my girlfriend. And surprisingly, Jaehyun said the same thing. At that time, we feels so... i dont know how to describe it. It was just like a proof that we’re really twins that inseparable. Then I told him that I’ll let him know who’s that person if I succeed, and just like him, too.”

“And then you confessed...”

“Yes. And I confessed. Of course she accepted me. I already expected it. I was so happy, Yoona, at that time. I wanted to tell Jaehyun right away but he said that I have to wait a little bit because he didnt confess yet. I agreed since I wanted my brother to feel the same feeling with me too, so we can exchange the good news for each other.” His voice started to crack.

Yoona patted Jonghyun’s back softly as she noticed that he was controlling himself again. “And when your twin confessed, the girl was also Tiffany, right?” she helped him again to continue.

Jonghyun nodded. “I still remembered that time. He rushed into my room, with a very happy face, probably the happiest expression that I haven’t seen for such a long time. He said that the girl accepted him. I was so happy for him. Until when I ask who’s the girl.” He smiled bitterly. “You know, Yoona... what kind of response that I was putting on that time?”

Yoona shook her head slowly, as she noticed that Jonghyun’s voice is getting more weak, almost whispered.

“I didnt show my true expression towards him. I... I was still cheering for him, eventhough the cheer was a few seconds late, but I tried so hard to show the expression that he expected. And when he asked me who’s the girl that I’ve confessed for, I just randomly picking one of my friend and saying that I’ve confessed to her because she’s going to overseas, which is fortunately the truth that she really went overseas, it helped me a lot so Jaehyun won’t ever know the truth—I just created a bull story to make him believed.  But my feeling was so... I dont know. I just went blank after he went out from my room. As soon as I have the time, I called her, ask her to meet. And yes, I was being dumped...”

“Jonghyun... if I can ask, what is her reason to act like that to you and Jaehyun?”

“She said that she loved Jaehyun first, but as the time goes by, she thought that she doesnt have any hopes with him. And when I confessed, she told herself that she should let go of her feeling towards Jaehyun and learn to love me. That’s why she accepted me. But she never expected that actually Jaehyun loves her too. And of course she couldnt say no...” Jonghyun snorted a little. “That was she saying to me.”

“So you give up?”

“I was being dumped, Yoona. Even if I dont give up, I wont get her back. She choose Jaehyun. So I dont have any choice, right? And even I have the choice, I won’t ever take anything who was my brother’s happiness...” he, once again, showed his bitter smile. “But I wasn’t that wise at that time. I was brokenhearted, that’s why I tried to avoid her. But of course I have to do it naturally so Jaehyun won’t feel suspicious. So, in front of Jaehyun, I still act like usual, but when he’s not around, I never really talked to her.” He sighed. “It took a month until I finally can forget the situation between me and her. I started to treat her like before, again. Because my brother looks so happy, it makes me easier to move on, too.”

“But then, Jonghyun. I dont understand. If the story is like that, then why she came to you a few days ago and asking you to marry her?”

Jonghyun’s grip on the glass became tighter as Yoona asked him that question. “Two months after they started their relationship, they got into a couple fight. Tiffany called me that time and asked me to come over her house. She was crying, that’s why I know that there’s must something wrong. As soon as I arrived, she hugged me and cried, while I was still confusing about what’s going on. I noticed that she was very strange, although the friendship between me and her became normal again, but we never too close like that anymore. But that time, she really didn’t let go of me. And that time... it really looks like what you’ve seen on drama tv, Jaehyun saw me. He came to Tiffany’s house to make the things clear, but he saw how clingy Tiffany is on me. I know it will become a misunderstanding. I... that time... I won’t ever forget my twin’s expression. He looks so devastated, and when he saw me...” Jonghyun’s breathe became so heavy. “He looks... I dont know how to describe it. It’s not an anger. But he smiled, Yoona! For God’s sake, he smiled bitterly!. It was ten thousand more heartbreaking than anything for me, Yoona. My brother, ever since we were old enough to remember anything, he never looked at me like that. And his words... it feels like a slapping on my face when I heard he said that... ‘Why you never told me hyung...? That the girl that you love is her...? Why did you hide it from me?

Yoona gasped as Jonghyun spoke the words. “He knows???”

“Yes. He knows.” Jonghyun’s voice cracked. “Later than I know that Tiffany and him was in fight because of that. He just know about me and Tiffany that day. And the timing was so...” he took a gulp of water again as his face went pale. “Yoona,” he turned to Yoona and looked at her with his weak eyes. The kind of eyes that Yoona just saw for the first time. “The next thing that I’m going to tell you is the last part of the story. After that, please leave me alone. Don’t ever ask me any questions, please just leave me, can you?”

Yoona stared at him with worry expression, but she know that Jonghyun was really serious, so she really have to nod. “Then, tell me Jonghyun.”

Jonghyun closed his eyes, trying to calm himself, but seems like it failed. When he opened , his lips were shaking. “After he said that words, he left me. And of course I ran after him. He drove so fast, with me just a few hundred meters behind him, trying to catch him. And it’s just like a dream, Yoona. It happened in a flash. His car bumped into the roadblock and... I saw the car flipped a few times, in front of me.”

“Oh my Goodness!” Yoona covered in a shock as she never expected that the last part of Jonghyun’s story will be like that. She wanted to ask but was numb. She saw Jonghyun looks so painful in front of her, mentally.

“I went out from my car, crazily ran to approach my twin who’s still inside the flipped car... I hope I was still have time to get him out and save him... but it was too late. He left me. He just left me.” Jonghyun bites his lower lips hardly, his entire body was shaking. “Sorry, Yoona. I need alone. You should go home now.” He got up in a hurry, entered his room and closed the door. Leaving Yoona who’s still in shock.

 

* * *

 

“Oh my Goodness!” She covered her eyes with her palm as she recalled the story again. Even she, an hours after what happened in Jonghyun’s house, is still in shock. She tried to calm herself and tried to think clearly of what should she do. After a while, she grabbed her phone and calling someone. It only needs a few seconds until the call get answered.

“Yoona?”

“Oppa, yesterday you said that you just met Jonghyun’s cousin, right?”

“Mind to say ‘hello’, Im Yoona?”

“Oppa, I’m in a hurry. Please.”

“Are you okay? Your voice sounds shaky...” Jonghoon sounds concerned

“Dont mind me. So?”

“Yes, I did. Why?”

“Do you have his phone number? Can you send it to me?”

“Jung Yong Hwa, right? I have. Okay, I’ll send it right away.”

“Thank you, oppa.” Yoona ended the call in a hurry and the next few seconds, the text from Jonghoon just arrived. Yoona quickly dialed the number.

“Jung Yonghwa’s speaking.”

“Yonghwa-ssi, this is Im Yoona. I’m sorry if I disturb you, but can I ask you a few things? This is about Jonghyun....” Yoona paused for a moment. “And his twin.”

“Are you with him?” Yonghwa’s voice turned serious.

“No... I’m... he told me to leave.”

“Is he okay?”

“I dont think so, Yonghwa-ssi.”

“Where are you, Doctor Im? I’ll be there in fifteen minutes.”

 

 

 

 


Hi :)

I really want to apologize to you guys :

First, because I was so late to update this chapter

Second, because it was a bit short than the other chapter

Third, because I was SO in writing the important part of this chapter (which is Jonghyun's story)

I really hope you still want to read the story. once again, I apologize.

thank you so much for ur support and patience :) I promise I'll write better and better for the next.

see you next chapter