Chapter 1 - A New Surgeon

Prescription For Love

“Annyeonghaseyo, Director Im.”

Im Hee Sung—who is the chief doctor and director of Hanwha Hospital—raised his head and chuckled when he saw who’s the person that greeted him. “Aigoo... It’s an honour that I was being visited by our busy Pediatrician...”

Yoona just smiled as she approached her dad. “It’s because there’s an uproar in this hospital since this morning... And since our Director hasn’t make an announcement yet, so I think I should visit him personally to his room because people kept asking me what happened since they think that Appa already told me the information...” she said in one breathe.

Im Hee Sung laughed as he heard Yoona’s impatient words. “Why? You already saw that person?”

“Mmm... not yet...”

“Tsk. Liar.” Im Hee Sung playfully patted his daughter’s forehead. “If you didnt saw him yet, then you won’t be here. Last time you came here is around... two months ago?”

“Eiiy... I’m busy, appa. You know that.” Yoona grimaced.

“Araa. That’s why I said you must be saw him already. Wae? He’s handsome, huh?” His Dad started to again.

“Aish, appa. I’m serious. I didnt see him yet, really. What makes me dragged my here because I can’t concentrate on my job because all of the doctors, the nurse, and EVEN the patients who saw him are seriously creating a fandom right now. Heol... At first I thought that it was a code blue when they made an uproar. But when I asked Nurse Jang, she said that there’s a new doctor who looks like vampire and he extremely handsome. What the—“

“Aigoo... I already expected that.” He chuckled again. “And you came at the right time. Kkaja, it’s time to introduce him to the entire hospital.” He stood up and took his white coat.

“What? Why suddenly?”

“Yya, did you forget today’s conference? Aigoo... told you not too busy with your job.”

“Oh my God! Today is Wednesday! How could I forget that!” she facepalmed and followed her dad in a hurry.

“And don’t forget that you should come to main house tonight. You already promised to me and your Mom to have a dinner together. It’s been almost two months that you never visite main house, Yoongie. If you didn’t come, your Omma might didnt let me to enter the house.” His Dad said jokingly, makes Yoona giggled.

“Arasseo, Director!”

 

* * *

 

“As we already know, that today we have a new doctor, who just created a big uproar since this morning.” Director Im’s speech makes the other doctors and the nurse who attend were chuckling. “Doctor Lee, please come forward.”

Oh God. Now I understand why people were so amazed. Yoona thought when she saw a tall and white pale skin figure walked to in front of them. She even can heard some people--especially the women--were gasping ing amazed.

“Annyeonghaseyo. Lee Jong Hyun imnida.” He bowed. “Starting today, I’m a new General Surgeon here. I hope we can get along and working together. Kamsahamnida.”

Yoona was still staring at the person beside her Dad. He seriously looks like a vampire. He’s really tall, and has a pale white skin with black hairs. And what just Appa said? He graduated from Harvard Medical School? And he is a general surgeon from New York Hospital. Wow. NY Hospital is one of best hospital in this world. Then why he moved to Hanwha? Okay, Hanwha is the best hospital in Southeast Asia, but still... it’s a bit strange... Maybe I should ask Appa later...

 

* * *

 

“Ah ige mwoya... What’s wrong with you, hm? Don’t you know that Omma and Appa will scold me badly if I’m late? Then why you make a fuss right now?”

Jonghyun furrowed his eyebrows when he was walking at the basement parking area and saw a woman who squatted beside her car and were talking alone. He decided to ignore that woman but unfortunately his car was parked right beside that woman’s car. Guess I dont have any other choices. He looked at that woman—who seems didnt notice him yet. “Uhm... can I help you, miss?”

Yoona raised her head and almost gasped when she saw who was talking to her. “Huh? Doctor Lee?” she stood up in a hurry. What is he doing here? Oh stupid, this is a parking lot, of course he’s going home by his car.

Jonghyun tilted his head a bit with confused expression, but then he bowed. “Forgive me. Since this is my first day, so I didint recognize all of staffs in Hanwha. You are...?”

“Yoona. Im Yoona. Pediatrician.”

“Ah... Nice to meet you, Doctor Im.” He bowed once again—although he didnt let out any smile. “I’m Lee—“

“I know you, Doctor Lee. I attended the conference this morning.” Yoona smiled at him. “You’re a general surgeon from NY Hospital.”

“Yes.” Jonghyun nodded while staring at Yoona’s car. “Are you going home, Doctor Im?”

“Yes. But too bad, my car is having some annoying problem right now. I already called for helps but they said they’ll be there in an hour... geez...”

“Ah... then, I’ll take my leave first, Doctor Im.” Jonghyun bowed once again. But before he turned around, Yoona’s voice suddenly stopped him.

“Excuse me, Doctor Lee. Aren’t you suppose to offer me a drive?”

 

 

 

Yoona was sitting on the passenger seat while glancing to the guy beside him who was driving the car leisurely. Actually she is well known as a cheerful and very straightforwards, but still... asking for a drive like that is a bit... embarassing... and not to mention this is our first meeting and I already acted shameless like that... ough... but what can I do?? I really need his help... who told him to appear at that time?

“Is there something wrong with my face, Doctor Im?”

“Nn—nee? Ah, anii.” Yoona stuttered when Jonghyun suddenly spoke out, although he keep staring at the road.

“Then why you were staring at me like that?” Jonghyun glanced for a second and his lips almost—ALMOST, I swear I saw itformed a smile.

“Uh... well, you know, Doctor Lee. Finally, I got my sense back.” Yoona grimaced. “I just realized that I was being so shameless by asking you to drive me until my parents house. Even I’m the one who forced you...”

Jonghyun finally let out a chuckle. “Gwaenchana. It’s not a bad thing, Doctor Im. And you really should did that because I don’t have any good sense for something like that, seriously...” he stopped the car when the traffic light is showing the red one, and then finally he turned his head to Yoona. “Although I didnt expect that on my first day in Hanhwa, I already fetched one of my colleague...”

Woah, I dont know that he has a great dimple like that. And, I think I almost lost my mind when I saw him smiled. I mean, did I already say how handsome he is? Now, it’s increasing by 100% percent. “Forgive me Doctor Lee. I really felt bad because of my act towards you...” Yoona grimaced once again.

“No, please stop apologizing, Doctor Im. I will be the one who feel bad if you keep apologize like that.” He smiled and started to drive again. “And if you bored, you can talk to me. Sorry, I was quiet before because I really dont know how to create a good topic between people...”

Huh? Yoona raised her eyebrows. And I almost thought that you’re a cold person—just by your appearance and your act. “Well... how old are you, Doctor Lee?”

“26.”

“Jinjja??? When did you got your license?”

“24.”

“Woah daebak... you got your General Surgeon’s license when you’re 24 years old... even in NY! Daebak...” Yoona exclaimed.

“Is there something wrong with the general surgeon, Doctor Im?”

“Anii. Oh cmon, all of us know that becoming a surgeon is the hardest and the longest one. Only genius people can passed it easily. Just like you...” Yoona praised sincerely.

“Eiy... no matter what kind of specialist, it was hard, Doctor Im...”

“You know, I was aiming to become a surgeon at first. When I entered Medical School, I really wanted to become a surgeon, just like my father...”

“Your father is a surgeon?” Jonghyun asks—seems like he have no idea who is Yoona’s father. “What kind of specialist?”

“General. Just like you.” Yoona answered—and smiled silently. I dont know, the fact that he talked to me without knowing my family background makes me happy. Usually some people only wanted to take some advantages... “But then, I gave up. It was so hard and I know my limit. So I choose to become a pediatrician since I really love kids.”

“Becoming a Pediatrician is hard, Doctor Im. Since kid’s anatomy is different, so we really have to learn it carefully.” He glanced at Yoona and smiled. “You must be a great doctor, Doctor Im.”

“Aigoo... kamsahamnida.” Yoona had nothing to answer except to say thank you because she really means it.

“How old are you, Doctor Im?”

“We share the same age, Doctor Lee.” Yoona chuckled. “Ah that house, Doctor Lee.” She pointed her parents home. At first she thought that Jonghyun will only drop her until the gate, but no. He still drove his car and entered when the gate is open. And he finally stopped in front of the house building.

“Kamsahamnida, Doctor Lee. For your kindness.” Yoona said as she already got down from the car and standing beside the driver’s side. “And once again, I apologize for my act before...”

“Gwaenchana, Doctor Im. Then, I’ll take my lea—“

“Are you sure you dont want to join us for dinner? My parents will really happy...”

“No, Doctor Im, I apologize. Maybe next time.”

“Then... see you, Doctor Lee. Thank you so much, and please drive safely.”

Jonghyun smiled and turned the car’s engine on. He bowed his head to Yoona before he finally left. Yoona stared until the gate was closed while her mind was busily thinking. Well... I didnt expect that he is very kind... really... and I feel very sorry. Maybe I can treat him better next time... She thought and finally entered the house.

 

 

 

“Then how can you manage to come here on time?” Im Hee Sung—Yoona’s Dad—asked as three of them were having a dinner when Yoona told them about her car’s problem.

“Well, fortunately there is a kind-hearted doctor who fetch me until here...” Yoona smiled.

“Nugu? Doctor Kang?” her Mom asked.

“Eiy, omma. Why it should be him?” Yoona grimaced. “It’s the new doctor in Hanhwa.”

“Hm? Seol ma... Doctor Lee? But how... you even didnt know each other yet...” Her Dad looks surprised when he saw Yoona nodded.

“Well... actually, it’s a bit embarassing, appa. He was accidentally passing by—maybe he’s going home—when he found me at the basement. And then I asked him to fetch me until here...”

“You asked him? Omo, Yongie...” her Mom looks a bit surprised. “And who is this Doctor Lee?” she asked curiously.

“He is a new General Surgeon from NY Hospital.” Her Dad explained. “A genius one. I talked with him today after the conference and I was very satisfied of his knowledge. He is such a very smart doctor.”

“Oh, seems like your Appa likes him a lot. How old is he?” Her Mom kept asking curiously.

“26. Just like our Yoongie. That’s why I said he is a genius doctor.”

“Is he handsome, Yoongie?” this time her Mom turned to Yoona.

“Eiy, omma. Why you’re asking such a question like that...” Yoona grimaced. “Don’t tell me that Omma is going to become his fan without seeing him first.”

“Just answer Omma’s question.”

“Yes, he is.” What else I can say? He is really handsome, no doubt.

Her parents smiled when they heard Yoona’s answer. “Well, this is the first time you didn’t look hesitant to answer that kind of question. Seems like this one is really captivated....”

“Not again, Omma.” Yoona rolled her eyes when she realized what is her Mom talking about. Because Omma really wants me to have a boyfriend very soon that’s why she really gave fully attention for every man that I know... Oh my...

 


 

Hanhwa Hospital.

“Good Morning, Doctor Lee.”

“Good Morning.” Jonghyun smiled and greets the nurses-in-charge. He took the files and started to read all patients data in there. Since this is his first time visite to patients in General Surgical Department. He reads it seriously without realizing that all of the nurse in front of him almost die of happiness because he greets hem back and even gave a handsome smile.

“Are you alone to visite this morning, Doctor?”

Jonghyun raised his head. “Yes. Professor Han already explained me about patients condition this morning since he will attend a conference in Tokyo this afternoon.”

“How about the residents?”

“I told them to get a proper breakfast first. It must be hard for them to stay 24 hours.” Jonghyun smiled and took the files. “Excuse me. I have to check them all first.” He bowed politely and entered the patients room. Leaving all the nurses in awe.

“Good Morning, Mrs Cho. How are you today?” Jonghyun asked the first patient who just have done a appendicitis surgery.

“Good Morning, Doctor. I think I’m getting better.” That 45 year woman who was lying on his bed answered him. “But this is the first time I saw you, Doctor...”

Jonghyun smiled. “Ah, forgive me. I forgot to introduce myself. I’m Lee Jonghyun. A new surgeon here. I’ll be in charge together with Professor Han starting today.”

“You looks so young, Doctor. But you didnt look like a resident.”

“I’m not that young anymore, Mrs Cho.” Jonghyun chuckled. “And I’m not a resident. I already passed that phase.” He said while putting on his stetoschope to examine Mrs Cho.

“You’re a Doctor senior, already? How come a person can be so perfect like you, Doctor?”

Jonghyun once again smiled since that is not his first time to hear something like that from his patients. “Thank you for your kindness, Mrs Cho. I’m grateful that I didnt look that old, although I already am.”

“Eiy, don’t lie, Doctor. How old are you?”

“26.”

“You’re still so young.” Mrs Cho laughed and patted his head—just like Mother usually did to his son. And it makes Jonghyun sincerely smile widely.

“Once again, thank you Mrs Cho. And I think there must be any problem for you to recover. It’s better if you did some light activities after you have a breakfast.” Jonghyun said while writing on the patient’s file. “Then, I’ll take my leave for now, Mrs Cho.” He bowed and move to another patient. But before he entered the next room, suddenly the door was open in a rush and a bunch of—actually four—of residents approached and stand up in line behind him. Seems like they were in a rush to get there. And before Jonghyun even let out any words, they already bowed.

“Forgive us, Doctor Lee. We’re late.”

Jonghyun looks a bit surprised as he saw the view in front of him. “Get up. Why you all are apologizing? I’m the one who tell you all to have a breakfast and you all no need to come here in a hurry.”

“But it makes you do the visite alone, Doctor Lee. We apologize for our stupid behaviours.” Jungshin—a second year residents—answered him while still bowing.

“Stand properly, all of you. Listen, I told you to take a break and have a breakfast properly because I really know how tired for all of you to be here for 24 hours. It means, you all dont have to apologize. Because you’re not wrong. Next time, dont bow your upper body so much like this.” Jonghyun said while smiling calmly. “Now, let’s visite the next patient.”

“Yes, Doctor Lee!” all of them said in unison while exchanging a relief smile silently. Seems like they just got a very nice chief this time.

 

* * *

 

“Well well... seems like someone has already made a move first before me...”

Yoona who just came back to her room after did a morning visite and found Yuri—one of the Obgyn Doctor, who also her bestfriend—already in her room.

“What are you talking about?” Yoona asked lazily while grabbing a sandwich from Yuri’s plate nonchalantly. “Ah... So yummy...”

“Doctor Cha told me that she saw you with our new hottest Doctor last night...” Yuri said while staring at Yoona with meaningful eyes. “You even left by his car.”

“Ah... you guys exaggerated too much. My car was having stupid trouble last night and it so happened that he just passed by, so I asked him to fetch me...”

“Wait... you asked him what?”

“To fetch me.” Yoona grimaced.

Yuri laughed as she heard Yoona’s answer. “Yya, Im Yoona! For the first time in history I heard you’re the one who asked a guy to fetch you. Woah... wae? He didnt offer you at first?”

“Stop laughing, Yuri!” Yoona rolled her eyes. “And to answer your question, No. He just passed by and ask what happened and after I explained, he suddenly excused himself. Without offer me some help. Daebak...”

“So, that’s why you’re the one who asked him?” Yuri still couldnt erase her smile. “Daebak... that guy is seriously awesome. I never found a man who can ignore Im Yoona’s presence. Daebak. I really want to meet him. I’m curious...”

“You already saw him yesterday, Choi Yuri.”

“Aish, I only saw him from afar. By the way, tell me what were you talking about last night when you’re in his car.”

Yoona take a sip of her drink before she answered Yuri’s question. “Not that much. He’s not a talkative person, you know. All I know that we’re in the same age, and—“

“Wait, WHAT? He is still 26 years old??”

“Nee.” Yoona nodded with frustrating expression. “What a genius right? He already got his license as a General Surgeon when he was 24 years old. While we just got ours not so long ago, and yet people already thought that we’re already the best...”

“Oh daebak. He might just spent 3 years for surgeon residency... seriously amazing... Keep talking, Yoong!”

“Just it. As I told you, Yuri, he’s not a talkative person. Oh, and he even didnt know my father.”

Yuri frowned. “Museun seoriya?”

Yoona smiled. “You know, at first I thought that he didnt reject my request because he knew who’s my Appa. But then I found he really have no clue about that.”

“Oh ho... you look happy with that fact.” Yuri giggled. “Then, do you have any good reason which can make us to have some business in General Surgical Department?” she asked with sparkling eyes.

“Yya Kwon Yuri! Get a hold of yourself!”

 

* * *

 

“Excuse me, Doctor Lee.”

Jonghyun who was read one of patient’s file thoroughly raised his head and found a unfamiliar figure was standing in front of his room. “Yes, Doctor...?”

“Choi Jonghoon.” That guy smiled and entered Jonghyun’s room. “Internist.”

“Forgive me, Doctor Choi. I still couldnt recognize all of people in this hospital.” Jonghyun shook his hands and smile. “Please take a seat.”

“Thank you.” Jonghoon smiled back and sat in front of Jonghyun. “Sorry for disturbing your works, Doctor Lee. I just come to give you files of some patients in our department that might transferred to your departments very soon due to urgency of surgery.”

“Ah, sorry for troubling you, Doctor Choi. You shouldnt bring the files here personally. But thank you very much.”

Jonghoon chuckled. “Actually I did it on purpose. I want to meet with the new General Surgeon directly. And... maybe become a friend with him.”

Jonghyun smiled upon  heard Jonghoon’s direct intention. “Thank you, Doctor Choi. It’s a pleasure. You know, being a newbie is always hard.”

“Then it means I accepted, right? Can I drop a honorific, Doctor Lee?”

“You ask to drop the honorific but still call me Doctor Lee. Just call me Jonghyun, please.” Jonghyun laughed.

“Call me Jonghoon—hyung if you want to add that—since I’m two years older than you. Yya, think about that, I’m two years older than you but we both manage to become a specialist two years ago. Woah... you’re really a genius, Jonghyun-ah.” Jonghoon continue blabbered.

Jonghyun raised his eyebrows. “How did you know, hyung?”

“Ah...” Jonghoon chuckled. “Rumors spreads faster than news, but seems like this one already confirmed as a fact.” He then stood up and checked his watch. “Lunch time. Want to have lunch together? I’ll introduce you to some of my friends...”

“Sure, hyung. Let’s go.”

 

* * *

 

“That lucky bastard, jinjja!” Yuri grumbled when she was having lunch together with Yoona in hospital cafetaria.

Yoona frowned and followed the direction of Yuri’s eyes. She looks a bit surprised when she saw Jonghoon was entering the cafetaria while chatting with the-person-that-every-girl-in-this-hospital-want-to-talk-with. Did they know each other? She thought curiously. “Why you were grumbling then, Yul?”

“Because that stupid boy didnt tell me that he knows Doctor Lee. When I asked him this morning, he said that he never meet him yet personally. But now... oh jinjja what a liar...”

Yoona feel amused while listening on Yuri. Jonghoon and her were friends since they were kids. Until now. That’s why it’s a common thing to hear they way Yuri talked about Jonghoon, and vice versa.

“Oh, they’re coming, Yoong.”

 

 

 

 


 

annyeong ^^

I have to say that I purposely made some scenes in this story become short. I won't make it too long since this is still the intro.

and also the whole story won't be that long.

anw, thank you for ur support even before I posted the first chapter. It really encourages me to update it very soon ^^

I read all of ur comments ^^ really, forgive me bcs I couldnt reply it one by one. thank you so much guys ^^ for comment, read and subsribed this story :)

see you next chapt.

*Ough, as I said before, Medical is not my background so I hope you can bear if I made some mistakes in medical terms. Forgive me