Chapter 2: The Explanation

The Impossible Task
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

With a long breath and some bright thoughts to add in the encouragement, Jinhwan made his appearance. It was absolute perfect timing if he had to be honest. It was right before Junhoe could punch the boy he held by the collar.

“Good morning!” Jinhwan beamed brightly.

Junhoe diverted his attention away from Donghyuk and towards him. “You again?”

The other boys who were in the vicinity stared around in confusion. Junhoe’s three friends tapped his shoulder.

“Whom are you talking to?”

“This weirdo right here!” Junhoe pointed an accusing finger at Jinhwan.

“Weirdo isn’t a nice word.” The kind boy pointed out with a saddened look upon his features.

Junhoe lets go of Donghyuk’s collar and using the confusion to his advantage, he wastes no time and sprints around the corner of the empty hallway to join the other students. 

“You shut up.” The tall student stated angrily and stepped forward.

Jinhwan pressed his lips together and straightened his back. He had seen Mino in action during Hanbin’s trip, so he can handle this much. This boy wasn’t as terrifying.

“Uh – Junhoe – “ His friends were still visibly confused.

“Grab him.”

“Grab who?” They asked upon hearing their friend’s order.

“Him!” Junhoe placed his hands out, presenting them the strange boy just standing in front of him. He didn’t understand what they were bewildered by. “He’s the only other one here.”

His friends shared looks. “No one is in front of you.”

“What – “ Junhoe turned back and sure enough, the kid was still there. He hadn’t moved an inch. 

“I forgot to mention.” Jinhwan sheepishly rubbed the back of his head. “They can’t see me, only you can.”

Not a single response.

Junhoe didn’t know what to say.

“Junhoe…we’re gonna go ahead.” They stuttered before leaving the boy behind in the empty hallway. 

Unlike his friends, he remained frozen in his spot. He didn’t get what was happening and Jinhwan figured.

“I’m not like you.” Jinhwan explains gently. 

“Are you a ghost?” Even though it was his own question and there was good reason to ask, Junhoe couldn’t believe how ridiculous it sounded.

In response, Jinhwan chuckled. “A ghost? Those don’t exist.” His lips formed a smile out of amusement. “I’m an angel.”

“Angel?” Junhoe scoffed. “And you said ghosts don’t exist.”

“Well, it’s true –“ Jinhwan mumbled softly just as the boy across from him cut him off. 

“Well, disappear.”

Taken aback, Jinhwan took a moment before responding. “I can’t do that.” He didn’t want to take this assignment but he can’t defy orders from the top. Besides, once Jinhwan took on one, he followed through until the end. Failure was not in his nature.

Feeling his sanity leaving him, Junhoe closed his eyes and placed a single hand against the lockers to keep him steady. “Then…explain. What the hell is this?” He just needed a moment to glue the bits and pieces of his rationality back together. 

“To state it simply, someone isn’t very happy with you right now – “ A s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter