Chapter 3: The Consequences

The Impossible Task
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Get lost.”

As soon as the words left his lips, he notices a woman shooting him a glare as she passes him on the busy sidewalk, thinking those harsh words were intended for her.

Not minding it, Junhoe merely continued toward school. 

Jinhwan kept his pace in order to keep up with Junhoe’s long legs. “Despite what you want – “

“Shut up.”

“ – I am to watch over you – “

“Stop talking.”

“ – This is my duty and I will complete it.”

Junhoe abruptly stops and faces the boy that stared up at him with wide eyes. “You have a punchable face, do you know that?” He questioned Jinhwan calmly.

“…My face?” Jinhwan’s hand gently moves up to cradle his cheek. “That’s not a very nice thing to say.” 

Was that déjà vu? It feels like he has been saying that very often lately. 

Junhoe rolls his eyes before picking up his pace once more and while Jinhwan tried his best to catch up to him again.

“Can you at least show yourself.” Junhoe mumbled unhappily. People were starting to think he was crazy. “So, it doesn’t look like I’m talking to myself?”

“Isn’t there something you should be more worried about?” Jinhwan questioned instead but gave into the boy’s wish nonetheless. It wasn’t such a hard request to grant.

“Like, what?”

“Well, according to the time – “ Jinhwan looked at the watch on his wrist. “You’re really late for your first class.” 

Junhoe groaned in frustration thinking how this boy beside him was not only butting into his unconventional ways in dealing with other people…but also in every aspect of his life. 

“Did you wake up late?” Jinhwan gives into his curiosity and wonders aloud. “Did your parents not wake you up?”

“They don’t care.”

“Of course they do.” What kind of parents wouldn’t care about their child? As Jinhwan was wondering, an image of Hanbin, Sarang, and their little baby came to mind. Certainly, parents would always care and love their children.

Junhoe was so close to screaming. “Just – “

“Hey, shouldn’t you two be in school?” 

The sudden voice brings both Junhoe and Jinhwan to attention and they quickly forget what their current conversation was about. They looked up to find an officer standing before them. He was in casual clothing so if it weren’t for the badge on his jacket, they wouldn’t have known.

“Can’t you tell we’re on our way?” Junhoe questioned back, snappy as ever.

Jinhwan couldn’t quite process the situation. His eyes were stuck on the officer before them.

“And you?” The officer directed his words to the shorter one.

“Uh – “ Jinhwan stuttered. “I’m trying my best to get him to school.”

Junhoe rolled his eyes once he got over his initial shock of witnessing someone other than him seeing Jinhwan and not an empty space.

“Don’t make your parents and teachers worry about you.” The officer mentioned before lightly tapping the back of their heads.

Mindlessly, Jinhwan’s hand comes up to touch the spot where he was nudged. “Sure, Jiwon – “ The officer reacts slightly to his name. “I mean, officer.” 

“Did you just say ‘Jiwon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter