Chapter 1: The Assignment

The Impossible Task
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

From his seat on the thick branch and whilst swinging his legs back and forth, he kept his appearance hidden. Human eyes weren’t hard to hide from. He wasn’t exactly an entity that everyone could see without his permission. 

Watching through the window of the high school, his sights fell on a certain boy. A certain boy that made a sigh leave his lips every few seconds…and caused the man upstairs to watch on so unhappily. 

Jinhwan really didn’t want to do it.

Anything but this.

He bit back the gasp that threatened to slip upon watching the next scene unfold.

 

Junhoe slammed his hand against the locker, causing the sharp sound to resonate through the hallway. The boy he had been targeting retracted his hands within seconds to ensure the closing locker wouldn’t crush them. 

He gulped nervously, feeling Junhoe lean closer to him. 

“Hey, Donghyuk.” 

“Y-yeah?” Donghyuk kept his attention forward. He didn’t want to risk getting the boy angrier. 

“You tell the teacher something?” Junhoe chuckled darkly. 

 

Jinhwan’s expression scrunches in discomfort. He didn’t want to even be close as twenty feet to the student. Not once during the whole school day did he ever relax. Junhoe needed eyes on him every second.

From gossiping, teasing, complaining, to pushing kids around, Jinhwan marked down every action.

Jinhwan, what are you waiting for?

He stiffened up upon hearing the voice. “Uh – “

Every second you hesitate, that is one more second gone from his chance of treating someone kinder.

“I understand.” He mumbled quietly. “It’s just…he’s a bit…scary.” A whole week he had used the time to observe Junhoe and the boy has never takes a break from making someone else’s life miserable. “Please, just a bit more time.”

With silence came approval.

A second sigh leaves Jinhwan’s lips. His hand glided across the rough bark of the branch he found comfort in. The breeze blows through the leaves, rustling close to his ears. He found it terribly sad that there were people who lacked both sympathy and empathy.

He closes his eyes and shakes his head. 

It was time to cleanse his eyes of Junhoe’s horrid tactics. 

Vanishing from his spot, Jinhwan appeared right outside another window. A window that enclosed a home filled with love and tenderness. It didn’t take much before his lips formed a gentle smile

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter