Tteokbokki and Smiles.

She's The One

It had been a while since Seung Yeon and I started following each other on Instagram. I liked few photos of hers, and she did the same to mine. But we hadn’t gotten a chance to talk to each other. We never met after the last time. I didn’t have her number. I could get her number from Ji-Hyuni but that would not be a nice thing to do. I could ask on Insta, but she hadn’t come online. She hadn’t uploaded anything, nor had liked or followed anybody. I was worried, but at the same time, inside, I hoped that she hadn’t come online only because the mid-terms were coming up. How I wish I could talk to her! I tried to put the thoughts aside and opened the University website to check my exam schedule. I didn’t like the schedule much. I groaned and walked to a small library near college. I didn’t even make an attempt to study at the college library, because one, it would be crowded before exams and two, annoying people would sit next to me and not let me study. I’m usually a calm person, but I didn’t like it if somebody disturbed me while studying. I had heard about this small library from Min-Hyuk. I found the place soon and went inside. The librarian was a little old, but he had a very calm aura. He smiled at me, and gave me a new membership card after I filled out the details required. The library did have a very cozy feel to it. I’m going to like this place.

The place wasn’t very crowded, and it had a good atmosphere for studying. The desks were a little old, but they were in good condition. I was looking around for a place to sit, when I spotted a very familiar face. A smile crept onto my face. She was sitting alone, with a lot of notebooks and papers scattered on the table. She was writing something, then thinking, then writing again. She had worn blue jeans, a black top and checked blue and black shirt like jacket. She had her hair up in a ponytail. She had a very casual look, different from the other styles I saw her in. She looked good in whatever she wore. The way she dressed today, it gave a girl-next-door feel.  I rushed towards her, careful not to disturb the others studying. “Seung Yeon-ah!”  I whispered, so that only she could hear. She looked up, surprised, and then gave a huge smile when she saw me. “Oh…Oppa!! When did you get here?” she asked, the smile getting bigger. “Jigeum.” I said. I sat across her. “Jal Jinaesso?” she asked. “Au. And you?” I asked. “Nado!” she said. “Do you come here often?” I asked, curious. “Yes, I like studying here. It’s cozy and nice.” She said. “Ohh! Nice!” I said. “Keundae! I haven’t seen you here before Oppa!” she said. “Yea, it’s the first time I’m coming here. MinHyuk told me about it. “Ohh! Okay! This place will grow on you!” she said. “I think so too.” I said. Min Hyuk-ah! ThankYou!!!! I really started believing more and more in destiny now. “You look good!” I said. “Eyyy! Oppa! Geotjimal!” she said. “Geotjimal aaniya! Chincha!” I said. “Keurae? Gomawo! This is more comfortable.” She said. “Yea, comfortable clothes are the best!” I said. She arranged some of her notebooks and papers to make some room for mine.  “You’re studying hard!” I said. “Aaniyaa!” she said, becoming a little shy. “Gwenchana! I’m like that too! Nothing can be achieved without hard work!” I said. She nodded. We soon found ourselves studying without talking. I liked that she worked hard. We studied for a while. I looked at the time. It was 1:00 p.m. Time for lunch.At the same time, Seung Yeon closed her notebooks and kept all the papers in her bag. “Oppa! It’s Lunch Time.” She said, speaking my mind. “Au. I was just going to tell you that.” I said, grinning. She got up, and I did the same, putting my books into my bag and hanging it over my shoulder. “Do you want to have lunch with me? I know this nice place.” I said. “Sure. I was going to ask if you wanted to have lunch together.” She said. We smiled again, shaking our heads. “Ga ja!” I said, almost holding her hand, but stopped. I looked at her. She hadn’t noticed, since she was busy checking to see if she had left anything behind. Thank God. “Au. Ga ja!” she said.

 

We walked to a small restaurant nearby. We went inside, and ordered Tteokbokki, as the restaurant was famous for it. I saw her face light up when the food arrived. “You must have been hungry!” I said. “Au. Jogeum….And Tteokbokki neomu chua!” she said. “Chincha! Maani mokko!” I said. “Jal mokkeseubnida!” she said, and began eating. “Jal mokkeseubnida!” I said. “Wahhh…..chincha mata!” she said. I agreed. It was simply delicious. We talked about the exams coming up, and promised to do well. “What are you going to do after lunch?” I asked. “I’m going to go home. I usually go home and have lunch, but since you are here, I didn’t go.” she said. That made my heart flutter. I know it was nothing special, and she would do it for her friends as well. Still, it gave me a really nice feeling. “Really? Gomawo! I’m glad we had lunch together.” I said. “Don’t thank me, Oppa! Chincha! So formal!” she said. “Arasso, Arasso! Mian!” I said. “Better.” I said. We talked as if we’d known each other for years. If I had brought my car, I would have dropped her. We payed the bill. She insisted that we split the bill in half. I tried refusing, but she was stubborn. “Oppa! No! If it’s a treat or something, we don’t have to split, but today both of us are paying.” She said. “Seung Yeon-ah! Consider it my treat!” I said. “Oppa, please! Next time, you treat me.” She said. After having a small friendly argument over this, we finally decided to split and pay. She looked satisfied. Wow, this girl was awesome.

I walked her till the bus stop. “SeungYeon-ah…” I started. “Au..?” she said. “I don’t have your number. Do you mind giving it to me?” I asked, wondering whether she’ll give it. “Oppa!! Were you thinking about how to ask me this for so long?” she asked. I looked at her, a little confused. “Mwo?” I asked. “You were quiet all the way from the restaurant till here.” She said. “I was? Really?” I asked, unaware of it. “Au. I even called you softly, but you didn’t hear I guess!” she said. “Seriously? I was so lost in thoughts???” I asked. She nodded. “Ahh! Yes, I was thinking about how to ask for your number. Will you give it to me?” I asked. “Ofcourse, oppa! Why wouldn’t I? We know each other now. You’re not a stranger.” She said. I felt relieved. I got her number, and she got mine. She hit me in a friendly way. “What was that for?” I asked, pretending to be hurt. “For making me worry. I really thought I had done something wrong. Gosh, you were so lost. Chincha!” she said. “Mianhae!!” I said, ruffling her hair. “Ahh! Oppa! Andwae!” she said. I felt the need to more. I ruffled her hair again, giving a foolish smile. “Oppa! Jaebal!” she whined. I could see her cheeks turn pink even though she tried to hide it by turning away. Her bus arrived and she left, waving to me from her seat.

We met up a few times after that in the same library. It had become a routine, going there to study and then going to the tteokbokki shop once a week with her. We texted each other, not all the time because we were busy with preparing for exams, but whenever we got the time. I had told my brothers about meeting her again and they only teased me again but were happy for me. I lay on my bed, sending a text. I had saved her name as Seung Yeonieee.

JH: Anneyong! There? :)

I got a reply immediately.

SY: Anneyong!! :) Mwo hae?

JH: Just laying on my bed. Going to play guitar. SeungYeoniega?

SY: Waah….Guitar! J Just had dinner. You ate?

JH: Yeaa!! You know to play guitar?

SY: Aani. I don’t know to play any instrument. I had learnt to plat Gayageum long back, but don’t remember much. L I want to learn though.

JH: Oppa will teach you ;) ;)

SY: Chincha? ;) I’ll look forward to it. Btw, I won’t be coming to the library tomorrow. Going to my friend’s place for a group study session.

JH: Aani!! Bogoshipogauya! ;)

SY: Uh-huh?? :P Let’s see. You’ll be hanging out with some other girl tomorrow.

JH: Omo! How did you find out? :o

I wanted her to tell me that she’ll miss me too. But since I put that wink emoji, she probably wouldn’t take me seriously. We flirted, teased each other a lot these days, like really close friends. She always took my teasing in a good way, and replied with a good comeback. The conversation continued like this for a while.

SY: It’s amazing how we’ve become so close in such a short time. :) :) :)

JH: Maja!! :)

We kept talking about various things. It’s funny how we didn’t run out of topics at all. We wished each other good luck for exams. The coming week was going to be a hectic one. But we were prepared.