Rain, Coffee and Glances

She's The One

Rain fell on the streets of Seoul, bringing freshness with it. It was five in the evening.  I ran, to find shelter,as I had forgotten to bring my umbrella. I ran as fast as I could, with the rain drenching me. I came  to a stop when I saw a coffee shop. “Coffee in this weather? Heavenly!” I thought. I went in and looked at the menu to order.

It had been a tiring day today. I had gone to my friend’s place to work on the project for college. I am 22, in the final year of engineering. I also play the role of guitarist for a band named CNBLUE. We play a few gigs here and there when we get the time. This band consists of 4 of my friends from college. Yong Hwa Hyung, Minhyuk and Jungshin. Yonghwa hyung,a year older than me, already graduated from college and is working now. Minhyuk and Jungshin are my juniors, a year younger than me. I don’t know how we became a band, but we did. I think it was 2 years ago, in my 2nd year of college. We have a music room in college, and the students are allowed to use it occasionally.It is situated farther from the academic building. I happened to pass the music room, when I heard the sound of drums being played. Whoever was playing it, was quite skilled. I could hear the person trying different tunes. I didn’t want to disturb the person playing, so I just observed him from the door. “I’ve never seen him around before! Must be a fresher!” I thought. “Because I know most of the students studying in this college”. “Chogiyo!” someone said, startling me. I wasn’t expecting anybody to come to the music room. I turned around to face the person. “Anneyonghaseyo!” he said, as he bowed. I haven’t seen him around either. “Ne.Anneyonghaseyo!” I replied. “Are you new here?” I asked. “Ne. I’m a fresher. Jauneun  Lee Jung Shin ibnida!”  he said. “Oh that’s nice. Jauneun Lee Jong Hyun ibnida. I’m in the second year. Which department are you from?” “I’m from the Electronics Department. What about you, Sunbae?” he asked. “I’m from the Mechanical Engineering department!” I said.That’s when I noticed him carrying a guitar case. “You play guitar?” I asked, curious. “Ne. Bass!” he answered, smiling. He was taller than me, probably around 6 feet tall. “That’s my classmate MinHyuk playing the drums.” He said. “Oh, he plays well.” I said. “Do you play any instrument,Sunbae?” he asked. “Yes, I play the guitar.” I said. He just nodded. We made conversation about  where we were from and other things. The sound of the drums had stopped. I saw MinHyuk get up and walk towards us. “Anneyonghaseyo! Jauneun Kang Min Hyuk ibnida” he said. I too, introduced myself. The three of us went into the music room and talked about how much we loved music. I suddenly remembered that I was supposed to meet YongHwa Hyung at the library.  I looked at the time. “Aniii! He’s gonna kill me!” I thought. “What’s wrong, Sunbae?” MinHyuk and  JungShin asked. “I think I’ll have to leave now. I was supposed to meet a hyung.” I said, when I heard a familiar voice. “No need.” He said. “Hyung!!! Mianhae! I totally forgot! I was talking to our juniors!” I said. “Gwenchana! I called you a few times. When you didn’t answer, I knew you’d be here.” He said. The juniors got up and greeted Hyung. “Anneyonghaseyo! Jauneun Jung Yong Hwa ibnida” Yong Hwa Hyung replied. He seated himself in front of the piano and started playing some nice tune. “Come on! Join me guys!” he said. “Ne??” Min Hyuk asked. “Come on! Let’s try something.” Hyung said. “Aigassoyo” Min Hyuk said. All of us started playing our own instruments, and like magic, we were able to sync. That’s when we knew how much the four of us were passionate about music. After that, we met up often in the music room. At one of the meetings, we named our band- CNBLUE. We had written and composed two or three songs. But it was just with the four of us. The first time everybody heard our composition was during the College Cultural Fest. We performed the song “I’m A Loner” which was written by Hyung.  It became a huge hit among  the audience.  We were satisfied. The four of us grew close like brothers, and have been close ever since. Sometimes I smile thinking about how awkward we had been when we first met. Now, we play pranks, tease and pull each others’ legs a lot. These days we just practice during weekends, because of being busy with projects, assignments etc. YongHwa Hyung can also come only during the weekend because of work.

 

Okay! Now time to order coffee! I looked at the menu and decided on just a normal cup of hot coffee. I got my coffee and sat down at one of the tables. I took out my phone, replied to a few messages and then started scrolling through Instagram. I heard a few girls laughing. I looked up to see them, as they were laughing for a long time. That’s when I saw her. The moment I saw her, I couldn’t take my eyes off her. She was beautiful. She wasn’t wearing much makeup, just eyeliner and lipgloss. She had gorgeous medium length brown hair, and was wearing a sky blue coat. There were 5 friends with her, but I could see only her. Her friend seemed to say something, for which she started blushing and covered her face. I was so lost in her, that I almost burnt my tongue while drinking coffee. “Ahh! Baboya!” I scolded myself. Yet, I continued to steal glances at her. I realized that I had finished drinking my coffee. I didn’t want to leave. I sounded like a stalker but I’ll never get to see her again. I wanted to wait till she left. I was contemplating on whether to get something else to eat in the meantime. I looked in her direction once again, and this time our eyes met. She looked away almost immediately. I too had to look away.

I put my earbuds in and started listening to music. Great escape, yes. I looked outside. The rain had stopped.When I turned to look at her again, they were getting up to leave. I pretended to text someone , but managed to steal one final glance at her. I too, got ready to leave, when I noticed that there was something hanging from the backrest of the chair on which she had been sitting. I went there and had a look at it. It was a yellow bag, for a polaroid camera. There were initials engraved on it. “G.S.Y” and a small heart. “GSY? Could it be her initials? But there’s a possibility that it’s one of her friends’ camera.” I said to myself. Anyway, I paid the bill for the coffee and ran outside to give it back to her. Must be important. The moment I opened the door, and took a step outside,I almost bumped into someone. “Chweseongeyo!” the person said. It was her. “Gwenchanayo. Eegau..? Is this yours?” I asked. “Ne. It is mine. It’s really important to me.” She said. I gave it back to her, and she took it with a smile. Our eyes locked again for a moment. Her eyes were brown,more like amber. I really felt like I was going to get into them. “OMG! JongHyun-ah stop it!! You are not going to think about stuff like this!” I fought with myself, to look away. She bowed to me. “Kamsahamnida! ” she said, smiled again. Gosh, that beautiful smile! Jonghyun-ah just stop it! Just stop! “Ahh…Gwenchanayo.” I said. She bowed once again. I bowed back.  I wanted to know her name. When I gathered up the courage to ask her, she was already gone. “Chogiyo…” I said,in a voice, that only I could hear. I had missed my chance. I’m never gonna see her again.