Sleepless Night

She's The One

I entered the code to my apartment and went inside. Jung Shin and Min Hyuk were playing on their phones when I went in. “ Na Wasso!” I said. They didn’t even look up from their phones, just waved at me, saying “Au!” Okay, Okay. I won’t blame them because I’m the same when it comes to playing videogames. The four of us started staying together in this apartment a year ago. The whole apartment building mostly had students and young people like us, staying there. When we found it, we couldn’t miss our chance. The rent was reasonable and the four of us were able to pay it from our gigs. Ofcourse, our families also never failed to support us. The rooms were a little small, but we were comfortable. The owner was quite nice too.  I went into my room, changed into something warm. I looked out the window, it had started raining again.

I took my guitar out, started playing random tunes. Playing my guitar always gave me some kind of peace. I don’t know what I would do without it. As I was playing my guitar, I realized that I was thinking a lot. About her. Her eyes. Her beautiful smile. The way she pushed her hair back, after she bowed.Gosh, who was she? Wish I knew more than just the initials “GSY”…It could have been someone else’s initials even if she had the camera. How will I find her in the whole of Seoul. How I wish I had asked her name!!! I couldn’t forget her. What would she have thought of me? Ya, Jonghyun-ah. Why will she think about you? You are just a random stranger she met. She wouldn’t even remember you now.

My thoughts were interrupted by MinHyuk. “Hyung? It’s time for dinner!” He said. Time for dinner? I looked at the clock on my desk. It said 8:30 p.m. Wait, how long have I been sitting here thinking about something which is never going to happen? “Ga ja!” I said, as I got up to join them for dinner. I hadn’t even known that Yong Hwa Hyung had already come home. “Hyung eonjae wasso?” I asked, as I loaded my plate with food. “I came around 7:30!” he said. “Why didn’t you tell me then?” I asked. “Ya, I just  wanted you to rest!! You’ve been too tired lately.” He said. I just nodded. I had been really busy with college the past week. The four of us started discussing  what happened from the morning. “Hyung, why aren’t you eating? Maani mokko!” Jung Shin said. “I am eating!” I said. “Yea right! Look at your plate. You usually go for a second serving by this time!” Yong Hwa hyung said. “Yea, wae geurae?” Min Hyuk asked. “Guys, it’s nothing. I’m just tired. That’s all.” I tried convincing them. “eyyyy!!! Something else is up! He’s turning red thinking about something!” Jung Shin said. “Yaaa, nothing like that!” I screamed, obviously in a friendly way. I tried to hide the smile which was trying to expose itself. “Jung Shin-ah , you’re right! He doesn’t look tired….instead he’s flustered……omg! And he’s smiling, thinking about something! Hyung, what happened?” Min Hyuk asked. “Yea !!! Is it something or…..someONE?” Yong Hwa Hyung asked, stressing the ‘ONE’ part. I did not look at them. “Yassss! It is someone, isn’t it! Maja! Maja!” Jung Shin said. How do these people even find out? Now, they’ll not leave me. “Guyss! Enougghhh!!!” I said, but at the same time , breaking into a smile. “Nuguya!! Who’s it?” Yong Hwa Hyung asked. “Is it someone from your class?” “Anii!” I said. “Wait, wait. I think she’s from my class. Hyung comes to our class when he’s free. I don’t think it’s to see us.” MinHyuk said. “MinHyuk-ah!!!” I said. “Keuchi, keuchi??!!I’m right,aren’t I!” he said. “From our class?” JungShin joined in. “Who??? That girl who you always talk to? Jung Ah Reum?” “Ah Reum-ie? Waah, I didn’t expect that Hyung!” MinHyuk said. “Who’s that?” Yong Hwa Hyung asked. “I’ll show you!” Jung Shin said, showing him her photo from her instagram profile.  “Ohh, she’s pretty!” Hyung said. No, no. This wasn’t happening. “Aniya! Guys, it’s not her.” I said. “Then, who is it? What’s her name?” they asked. “Molla!” I replied. “Molla??? What are you saying?” they asked. “She doesn’t go to our college. Atleast I haven’t seen her around. I saw her at the coffee shop today. Neomu areumdaubda!” I said, smiling as she entered my mind again. I went on to tell them what happened, how I saw her, how we bumped into each other, how I returned her camera. “But…all I know are the initials GSY. Ottohke?” I said. They thought for a while.

“JongHyun Hyung.I really don’t know what to say now? How are we supposed to help you if you don’t even know her name?” Jung Shin said. “Eyy! Gwenchana! I just wanted to share it with you guys!! I’ll forget about it tomorrow.” I said. They just looked at me and nodded. “But I’ve never seen JongHyun like this! His eyes were twinkling when he was talking about her!” Hyung said. “Ahhh, chincha! Stop it guys! I’m not at all going to think about this after a while.” I said.  “Hmmm….okay.” Hyung said. We talked for some more time about other things, laughed and then got up. “Jal ja guys!” I said,as I opened the door to my room. “Jal ja!” they answered back.

The truth is, even though I told them that I would forget her, deep inside I knew I wouldn’t. Hyung was right. I’ve never felt this way before. I’m not the one to think about the things that don’t matter much. But she mattered. She didn’t leave my mind. And she wasn’t going to, for a long, long time.

I took out a paper and a pen and started scribbling some lines. Yes , yes, Lyrics.

Without knowing your name,

   I couldn't forget you after one glance

That mysterious smile still fresh on my mind,

Makes my heart flutter

You came to me like the scent of flowers in the wind

Fall in Love

My heart pounds on this sleepless night, thinking of you,

Endless night...

I stay up all night to confess to you,

 Sweet my love"

 

The paper didn’t look it’s best after all the crossing and overwriting I had done. But  I poured my heart in and wrote few lines  thinking about her. I titled it “Sleepless Night”. I was going to keep adding to the lyrics. Or I may just stop it here. For now, this was it.  I tried sleeping again, but all I did was toss and turn. I had to get some sleep. We had our gig tomorrow. I was thinking about how I can sleep, when I felt my eyes closing, taking me to a dreamland, with only her and me.